• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WAG Express discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
I can confirm it was 57311 Parker hauling the 1615 to Holyhead on 30th November. I know because I was on it! Dinner was very nice too!

Thanks for the confirmation,were there many in 1st? out of interest. I have also asked Charlie Hume of North Wales Rail to find out what stock will be used from week on Monday,
if anyone can find out Charlie will be the man, due to his excellent contacts,hopefully he will put it up next Tuesday(rotas/diagrams etc). ATW/VT are keeping it all close to their chests

Bob

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
First Class was moderately well loaded on 30th November. I counted 14 (including me) on departure from Newport. A group of 4 also joined at Shrewsbury, travelling to Bangor. Photo below shows the 1st Class carriage that evening. Two to my left not in shot and a fellow basher who was in the bay of 4 nearest the kitchen was window hanging behind me.

I'd say that was a respectable load for a Wednesday evening.

As for the continuation of the service, the chef was adamant that it was continuing well into next year with a change of route via Wrexham and top and tailed Class 67s. Although the TM was rather less forthcoming when I asked him about the service, possible changes or withdrawal.

I've not really followed the politics of this service, but the recent murmurings that it may soon end were enough impetus for me to try it out.

Attachments

• P1000060.jpg
    P1000060.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
First Class was moderately well loaded on 30th November. I counted 14 (including me) on departure from Newport. A group of 4 also joined at Shrewsbury, travelling to Bangor. Photo below shows the 1st Class carriage that evening. Two to my left not in shot and a fellow basher who was in the bay of 4 nearest the kitchen was window hanging behind me.

As for the continuation of the service, the chef was adamant that it was continuing well into next year with a change of route via Wrexham and top and tailed Class 67s. Although the TM was rather less forthcoming when I asked him about the service, possible changes or withdrawal.

I've not really followed the politics of this service, but the recent murmurings that it may soon end were enough impetus for me to try it out.

Thanks for that,as you can make out, its total confusion, must say this is the best load in first I have seen.
We know whatever happens a week Monday, it wont be DVT, so using two 67s is possible,but not via Wrexham as WAG1.

Bobn
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Thanks for that,as you can make out, its total confusion, must say this is the best load in first I have seen.
We know whatever happens a week Monday, it wont be DVT, so using two 67s is possible,but not via Wrexham as WAG1.
Bob

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If they wont be going via Wrexham yet, why do they need two 67s?
Doesn't WAG2 go via Wrexham? Since WAG have paid for 67s and DVTs on WAG2 but the DVTs aren't available yet, top&tail 67s on WAG2 sounds like a good guess since it is the nearest possible result to what was paid for, but a guess is all it is (coming from me at least). WAG 1 is harder to work out, but will probablly still be a single loco, or perhaps the 175 off WAG 2.

jones_bangor

Doesn't WAG2 go via Wrexham? Since WAG have paid for 67s and DVTs on WAG2 but the DVTs aren't available yet, top&tail 67s on WAG2 sounds like a good guess since it is the nearest possible result to what was paid for, but a guess is all it is (coming from me at least). WAG 1 is harder to work out, but will probablly still be a single loco, or perhaps the 175 off WAG 2.

WAG1 only needs to be a single loco as the service is, as you intimate, not required to reverse. However, the timetable indicates that this will carry on as now with LHCS and First Class - possibly with 67 (but I wonder whether a 67 would keep the same timings as a 57, with speed restrictions etc etc....).

WAG2 might be 2 67s, which could in theory reverse at Chester...not sure whether that is practical. ATW have enough spare mk2's to make this happen, the service is marked down for trolley service only, so presumably no restaurant car, and no first class indicated on the timetable.

bnm

Established Member
To add to what I was told by the chef; (nice young chap and a great cook!) he was of the opinion that WAG2 isn't going to happen and WAG1 will remain as is although re-routed via Wrexham.

I'm no more clued up as to what is actually going to happen, just glad that I got a 1st Class ride on WAG1 as it currently runs....

Probably not the right thread for pics of the scran I had on my journey, but what the heck. Huge thanks to the Welsh taxpayer for allowing me a 3 course meal and 1st Class accommodation for the bargain price of £26.40 (railcard) on top of my Wales Flexipass Rover. I did my bit in repaying the Welsh taxpayer by also purchasing two G+Ts and nice half bottle of Claret. Suitably filled and slightly sozzled by the time I arrived at Llandudno Junction!

Starter: Garlic wild mushrooms on toasted onion bread.
Main: Rack of lamb with a herb and black pepper crust on a bed of onion mash with roasted vegetables and a red wine jus.
Dessert: Chocolate fudge cake with fresh cream.

Attachments

• P1000057.jpg
    P1000057.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000062.jpg
    P1000062.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1000067.jpg
    P1000067.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 22

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Huge thanks to the Welsh taxpayer for allowing me a 3 course meal and 1st Class accommodation for the bargain price of £26.40 (railcard) on top of my Wales Flexipass Rover. I did my bit in repaying the Welsh taxpayer by also purchasing two G+Ts and nice half bottle of Claret!

Glad you liked it. The breakfast is good too.

By the way it's not Welsh taxes paying for it, it's UK taxes doled out by HMG to Cardiff for them to spend on what they want. So you actually paid for some of it...

(retires to wait for brickbats from the Cardiff Bay direction...)

jones_bangor

To add to what I was told by the chef; (nice young chap and a great cook!) he was of the opinion that WAG2 isn't going to happen and WAG1 will remain as is although re-routed via Wrexham.

TBH, WAG 2 hasn't happened, just another 175 service.

If we were to get a proper LHCS WAG 2, then it should be northbound in the morning.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
The recent increases in loadings may be due to people riding it before it goes.

I have a meeting in Penarth tomorrow that will probably see me having to hang around somewhere en route home as I wont make it to Salop in time for 1727 to Aberystwyth. Will have a go at northbound WAG1.

Michael.Y

Established Member

I have a meeting in Penarth tomorrow that will probably see me having to hang around somewhere en route home as I wont make it to Salop in time for 1727 to Aberystwyth. Will have a go at northbound WAG1.

You mean Monday? the WAGs don't run on Sundays.

All Line Rover

Established Member

I doubt it. Some days it is very quiet, other days it is very busy. When I travelled on it in late October, First Class was actually FULL! Some people wanted to upgrade but couldn't!

Rhydgaled

Established Member
TBH, WAG 2 hasn't happened, just another 175 service.

If we were to get a proper LHCS WAG 2, then it should be northbound in the morning.

Agreed, 1 LHCS set going Holyhead - Cardiff - Swansea in the morning and Swansea - Cardiff - Holyhead in the evening and another going Swansea - Cardiff - Holyhead in the morning and Holyhead - Cardiff - Swansea in the evening would be better than the current WAG express and fake WAG (175) going in the same direction. That 175 should be used to keep 150s, 153s and Pacers off long-distance semi-fast/fast workings, not providing a Holyhead-Cardiff express and sitting for hours in Cardiff. The LHCS shouldn't sit around either, the one going southbound in the morning should go Swansea - Manchester and the other Holyhead - Manchester - Llandudno, although you may need extra LHCS sets on the Manchester - Llandudno/Swansea routes to ensure a set is about for the return working of the Holyhead - Cardiff expresses.

All Line Rover

Established Member

I agree! :D

merlodlliw

Established Member
Well as I said, we shall all know in a weeks time,a few colleagues are using WAG1 next week due to its uncertainty, amazing no leaks from anyone about what's to happen,
IE diagrams, so its up to Charlie on Tuesday to tell us.

However I can not see anything loco hauled going via Wrexham(the intended route) next week, I agree with Gareth, like W/S more enthusiasts will use the service due to its uncertainty.

Bob
Glad you liked it. The breakfast is good too.

By the way it's not Welsh taxes paying for it, it's UK taxes doled out by HMG to Cardiff for them to spend on what they want. So you actually paid for some of it...

(retires to wait for brickbats from the Cardiff Bay direction...)

You are of course correct about taxes.

Shows the uncertainty, however there is no path via Wrexham between 0700 & 0800,

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I doubt it. Some days it is very quiet, other days it is very busy. When I travelled on it in late October, First Class was actually FULL! Some people wanted to upgrade but couldn't!

Labours election manifesto on transport consisted of "a re prioritisation of the national transport plan" of which WAG Expresses are a part. All enquirers to WG since May have had the stock response that the reprioritisation will be "announced in the autumn". The WAG Express is widely perceived as a product of Plaid when in coalition before May election and not Labour policy.

jones_bangor

Labours election manifesto on transport consisted of "a re prioritisation of the national transport plan" of which WAG Expresses are a part. All enquirers to WG since May have had the stock response that the reprioritisation will be "announced in the autumn". The WAG Express is widely perceived as a product of Plaid when in coalition before May election and not Labour policy.

The One Wales document was a Plaid-Labour policy. As I have previously written, Labour have (probably) realised that withdrawing WAG 1 would incense Plaid, and have taken the "long view" on this i.e. they may need Plaid in 4 years time to stay in power, particularly if the Lib Dems evaporate from UK politics. The current minister may well have been overruled on this.

Shows the uncertainty, however there is no path via Wrexham between 0700 & 0800,

Clearly there's uncertainty about may aspects of running the service via Wrexham, but it's certain from looking at the timetable that it won't happen until May.

Last edited:

junglejames

Established Member

Sorry i was just thinking of WAG1. Didnt realise WAG2 would possibly be changing as well.

merlodlliw

Established Member
The One Wales document was a Plaid-Labour policy. As I have previously written, Labour have (probably) realised that withdrawing WAG 1 would incense Plaid, and have taken the "long view" on this i.e. they may need Plaid in 4 years time to stay in power, particularly if the Lib Dems evaporate from UK politics. The current minister may well have been overruled on this.

Clearly there's uncertainty about may aspects of running the service via Wrexham, but it's certain from looking at the timetable that it won't happen until May.

WAG1 was Ieuan Wyn Jones idea as Minister of Welsh Rail, only he will be incensed, I have yet to meet anyone in Plaid who is in favour of Premier Class or WAGAIR.

2.A better service Wrexham to the North West is more important than Cardiff. The new Premier Inn with 85 bedrooms to be built immediately next door to Wrexham General is not a result of the exodus to Cardiff.

Bob

Agree fully

Last edited:

jones_bangor

WAG1 was Ieuan Wyn Jones idea as Minister of Welsh Rail, only he will be incensed, I have yet to meet anyone in Plaid who is in favour of Premier Class or WAGAIR.

2.A better service Wrexham to the North West is more important than Cardiff. The new Premier Inn with 85 bedrooms to be built immediately next door to Wrexham General is not a result of the exodus to Cardiff.

1. I don't agree - IWJ was not the sole architect of Gerald - it came out of "One Wales". But I agree, Premier Class was maybe a step too far!

2. It's always one or the other with you! Wrexham benefits from good links to the North West, Midlands and South Wales - that's why it's there!!

merlodlliw

Established Member
1. I don't agree - IWJ was not the sole architect of Gerald - it came out of "One Wales". But I agree, Premier Class was maybe a step too far!

2. It's always one or the other with you! Wrexham benefits from good links to the North West, Midlands and South Wales - that's why it's there!!

A few more direct Manchester's would be better, than to obscure termini s like Maesteg from Wrexham.

Yes agree Premier Class & Wagair were a step too far.

Bob

Essexman

Established Member
I'm using WAG1 next week from Cardiff.
Can anyone tell me if they serve dinner on departure from Cardiff / Newport or can you order it when you want?

Welshman

Established Member
When we used it we were asked when we would like it, and settled for about 6pm.
A few more direct Manchester's would be better, than to obscure termini s like Maesteg from Wrexham.

Bob

I agree - and later through services to the North Wales Coast from Manchester wouldn't go amiss, rather than having to endure a cold wait on Chester station if you wish to leave later than 1750!

In fact, if the 2nd train per hour from Manchester to Chester comes about, is it too much to hope that the N.Wales service might run express from Manchester to Chester, calling at perhaps only Warrington Bank Quay? 60 minutes for a 40-mile journey from Chester-Manchester and vv is nothing to write home about in today's times!

Squaddie

A better service Wrexham to the North West is more important than Cardiff. The new Premier Inn with 85 bedrooms to be built immediately next door to Wrexham General is not a result of the exodus to Cardiff.
I don't really understand the connection between a Premier Inn being built in Wrexham and a rail link to Cardiff...

Maesteg is a sizeable community, and about half the size of Wrexham (the population of Maesteg is about 20,000, whereas that of Wrexham is about 42,000).

I really do feel that the hard-core north Wales group on this forum talks increasingly in riddles, and allows its hatred of the south to colour everything they write.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
42 in Standard after Abergavenny on WAG 1 tonight, 3 in first class. Table to self (in standard).

1715 ex CDF was even worse less than 20 still sitting on it after arrival at Salop.

Status
Not open for further replies.