• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waiting rooms at Manchester Airport/Dumfries stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

Two seperate trips. Next Thursday morning me and two mates will be arriving at Manchester Airport station at 0440 on a bus for the 0545 to Edinburgh Waverley. Will waiting rooms at MIA station be open at this time?

Another is one I haven't yet confirmed I'll do. I'm planning to do Sheffield Wednesday friendly at Kilmarnock on 8th August. On the itinerary leaving KMK at 2359 it gives a 0117 arrival at Dumfries station from Kilmarnock and 0456 departure to Carlisle. Are there any covered waiting rooms there and I presume its a 'safe station'? I'm more than likely to be on my own unless I drag a mate or two along.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Not sure when the waiting room at Manchester Airport station opens, but it's just two minutes by the elevated (enclosed) walkway to the Radisson hotel.

Like most hotels it's an excellent place to wait as it's dry, air-conditioned and no-one knows if you have stayed there or not so staff arent likely to bother you. Being an airport hotel there will be comings and goings at all hours. If I recall, there are many comfy sofas and chairs away from the reception desk too.

sonic2009

Established Member
Manchester Airport's waiting room is open during the night.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

sonic2009

Established Member
I wouldn't wait at Dumfries.

Have you not considered the sleeper from Glasgow - Preston?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Chapeltom

Established Member
Sleeper? No way, want a cheap trip :) £12 advance to KMK to Chapel. Gonna be 3 of us on that trip down and at Dumfries. Is there any covered shelter of any kind there and will it be lit at least? I've waited for 3 hours and 7 hours at Manchester Picc, suppose this'll be a lot different!!

philjo

Established Member
According to the NRE site Dumfries is not staffed after 19:30 - if it like the stations around here that means the waiting rooms & toilets etc will be locked by 19:30 & opened again next morning. Personally I would not want to stay there for more than an hour or so!
I think you would be better getting the 22:57 to Glasgow & staying there overnight for an early train to Preston next morning.

Donachie

According to the NRE site Dumfries is not staffed after 19:30 - if it like the stations around here that means the waiting rooms & toilets etc will be locked by 19:30 & opened again next morning. Personally I would not want to stay there for more than an hour or so!
I think you would be better getting the 22:57 to Glasgow & staying there overnight for an early train to Preston next morning.

Yes as philjo says, Dumfries waiting room and toilets will be locked up .
You could stay there between trains, as it is fairly safe ,there is a member of staff there all night watering up units, ect.

Donachie.

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
If you want, there's a 24hr Tesco about a mile away from Dumfries Station, on a fairly easy route - http://goo.gl/maps/Ftez

From what I've seen of Dumfries, it's a safe area and the walk alone would kill a bit of time.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Dumfries at night? No fear!

I take it you have not seen the Wicker Man, the original not the anodyne American remake. Dumfriesshire is only one step removed from Deliverance County aka Galloway (And I do hope you don't have a pretty mouth :p)

Remember the 39 Stepps - the locals tried to shoot Hanney just because he spoke with an English accent.

I'm sure there is a decent hotel near the station - bring your own padlock!

khib70

Dumfries at night? No fear!

I take it you have not seen the Wicker Man, the original not the anodyne American remake. Dumfriesshire is only one step removed from Deliverance County aka Galloway (And I do hope you don't have a pretty mouth :p)

Remember the 39 Stepps - the locals tried to shoot Hanney just because he spoke with an English accent.

I'm sure there is a decent hotel near the station - bring your own padlock!
Hmm. I have some experience of Dumfries and Galloway, and I can confidently say that I would rather spend an entire night there than spend five minutes in Bo'ness after nightfall!:shock:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hmm. I have some experience of Dumfries and Galloway, and I can confidently say that I would rather spend an entire night there than spend five minutes in Bo'ness after nightfall!:shock:

I was out & about in the South West only last week. A beautiful part of the world - a truly forgotten part of Scotland. I also enjoy cycling round about Sanqhuar & Wanlockhead. I hope you took the above post in the humorous way it was intended. It was aimed to rather point the OP towards a hotel or B&B in the area rather than kip on a platform - prob not too dangerous but not the most comfortable way to spend a night.

I've had experience of kipping rough between trains (self inflicted) but I suppose Dumfries in August will be warmer than Inverness in November!

No need, however, to disparage "West Lothian's Premier Sea Side Resort" as attested to by the South West's (& Scotland's) very own bard - Rabbie Burns himself. I think that's what he meant when he called Bo'ness "a stinky wee hole". Still I come from the posh part and it is quiet as the grave of a night - sometimes too quiet.

Cheers

khib70

I was out & about in the South West only last week. A beautiful part of the world - a truly forgotten part of Scotland. I also enjoy cycling round about Sanqhuar & Wanlockhead. I hope you took the above post in the humorous way it was intended. It was aimed to rather point the OP towards a hotel or B&B in the area rather than kip on a platform - prob not too dangerous but not the most comfortable way to spend a night.

I've had experience of kipping rough between trains (self inflicted) but I suppose Dumfries in August will be warmer than Inverness in November!

No need, however, to disparage "West Lothian's Premier Sea Side Resort" as attested to by the South West's (& Scotland's) very own bard - Rabbie Burns himself. I think that's what he meant when he called Bo'ness "a stinky wee hole". Still I come from the posh part and it is quiet as the grave of a night - sometimes too quiet.

Cheers
:D No bother mate. At least you've got steam trains there!

Chapeltom

Established Member
Just booked the train tickets. The last train out of Kilmarnock is a bus that night which will eat into waiting time, even if I won't get to tick the Kilmarnock to Dumfries bit of track.

They'll be 2 minimum, possibly 3 of us. Anyone know if there's an off licence on the way from the ground to the Wetherspoons in the centre of Kilmarnock? I had to spend 7 hours on Manchester Picc with a mate in January and there was no way we were doing it sober! Same applies here!

marks87

Established Member
Anyone know if there's an off licence on the way from the ground to the Wetherspoons in the centre of Kilmarnock?
In Scotland, you can't buy alcohol from an off-licence after 10pm, so you'll need to be quick if the game finishes at 9.30pm.

Chapeltom

Established Member
So you cannot buy even from a supermarket? Damn. Gonna have to be very quick, then its back into Killie and to Wetherspoons!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
In Scotland, you can't buy alcohol from an off-licence after 10pm, so you'll need to be quick if the game finishes at 9.30pm.

I have a Tesco receipt which might be worth framing. It is for a single bottle of wine (the nearest one I could lay my hands on) which I grabbed and rushed to the checkout at 9:58 pm after a particularly trying day at work. I was expecting the sale to be refused, but the operator said "Let's try and see what happens" or words to that effect. The sale went through, and by when the receipt appeared, the time printed as 22:00. Is this a record? It was for that branch.

sonic2009

Established Member
Just out of question, where did you book the advance ticket or ticket from Kilmarnock?

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm sure there is a Morrison's not too far from Rugby Park there should just be enough time. You could always get a carry oot prior to the match and hide it in a nearby hedge. We used to do that often when we were younger - sometimes it was even still there when we returned.

Whilst in the ground I would recommend snacking on a "Killie Pie" after the game you could indulge yourselves with "Scotland's other other National drink" - a cheeky wee vin tonic lovingly made just down the road in Devon (by Monks no less!!). Any Ayrshire lad will point you to a local stockist.

With regard to the rail replacement bus link - you will just have to come back & do the line properly in the future. No bad thing as the GSW is a much underrated route.

Status
Not open for further replies.