• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waiting Rooms with comfy seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Does anyone know the stations with waiting rooms that have comfy seats like armchairs?

I know Crewe has good seats in the waiting room next to the WHSmith on platform 5 but I don't really know many places as I don't really look at waiting rooms. Please also note the times they are open.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Redhill had sofas in at least one of its waiting rooms (on the southbound platform furthest from the main entrance) last time I was there, maybe 18 months ago. First place I'd seen them, and have seen them elsewhere subsequently, just can't remember where!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've seen a few Southern waiting rooms with armchairs and settees, Barnham is a definite.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
If you want the worst waiting area(s) - try Watford Junction - hard metal seats , tiled walls and floors. Cold.

Hereford used to be nice - fresh flowers on the table. Smell of polish.

Welshman

Established Member
There used to be a lovely waiting room on platform 3 at Halifax.

Comfortable chairs, gas lights, a roaring fire and a clock ticking somberly in the background.

They closed it eventually - I think too many folks missed their trains. :D

Hophead

Established Member
Go on then.

Three Bridges (although last time I looked, the sofa in the platform 3/4 waiting room was looking a little frayed)

Horsham

Crawley! I think so, anyway. I don't stop there often (and it's dark when I pass through these days), but I'm pretty sure they did it up and even added a bookcase

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield and Dewsbury both have comfortable seating areas within easy reach of trains heading West... However in order to use them, one is required to purchase a beverage!

rmt4ever

What about ladies waiting rooms, any of them still around? Think there used to be one at one of the far east District line stations... Dagenham east or something like that maybe, on the London-bound platform

Geeves

Established Member
Littleborough has a nice little waiting room with comfy seats and books to read but its only open when the booking office is open. Unfortunately its on the Leeds side so you have to go back in the cold before you miss your to Manchester (which is generally the way people are going) train!

Chouette

It was the station pub, so not strictly a waiting room, but I did once spend a couple of hours asleep on a sofa in Birmingham International while waiting for my train.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The original station building at Denmark Hill which is now the Phoenix pub has sofas with the added benefit of readily available beer and crisps.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Littleborough has a nice little waiting room with comfy seats and books to read but its only open when the booking office is open. Unfortunately its on the Leeds side so you have to go back in the cold before you miss your to Manchester (which is generally the way people are going) train!

Shame it isn't open 24/7.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
There used to be a lovely waiting room on platform 3 at Halifax.

Comfortable chairs, gas lights, a roaring fire and a clock ticking somberly in the background.

They closed it eventually - I think too many folks missed their trains. :D

Would be nice if Northern bunged a couple of cushions on the seats on overbridge waiting room along with a heater.

I do recall Penistone having heaters in its waiting rooms with bog standard metal seats. Sadly the local kids seem to enjoy setting fires in it

Kite159

Veteran Member
The seats at Salisbury in the little waiting room on P2/3 island are quite comfy to spend 45 minutes waiting for the next London bound service.

Qwerty133

Established Member
If you want the worst waiting area(s) - try Watford Junction - hard metal seats , tiled walls and floors. Cold.

Hereford used to be nice - fresh flowers on the table. Smell of polish.

Leicester also has hard metal seats, if half aren't cordoned off due to yet another leak, and heating that you can tell from the smell comes from the toilets. Yes i would say cold platforms are preferable to that...

Status
Not open for further replies.