• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield / Five Towns District platform extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Surely Goole is long enough for 4 already?

As for Normanton, the to Leeds platform needs to become the to Wakefield platform and a new to Leeds platform and running line need to be built and do away with that ridiculous island platform and 35 mph speed restriction. This route could become a regular trans Pennine route with a stop at Wakefield Kirkgate in the same time as via Dewbury if the route was updated to 100mph where possible especially from Normanton and Ravensthorpe.

It will mean altering the 20mph slack on the Up fast at Horbury Junction and building a new alignment through the middle of the disused Healy Mills freight yard.

If you were going to run that way to York, you'd be better off stopping at Normy and Cass (not to mention Sherburn) to provide increased travel opportunities.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenn1969

Established Member
Is there mileage in the Huddersfield to Castleford NT train planned for May being extended to York at some stage to give Mirfield, Wakefield Kirkgate and Normanton a through service to York?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Is there mileage in the Huddersfield to Castleford NT train planned for May being extended to York at some stage to give Mirfield, Wakefield Kirkgate and Normanton a through service to York?

I would say so.

I expect the PTE boundary is an issue.

johntea

Established Member
I await the results of the platform works and timetable changes in May, maybe Northern will finally take note of the 20+ people that get left behind at Leeds on a daily basis due to the 17:30 stopper to Sheffield via Castleford being full to capacity!

Status
Not open for further replies.