• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield kirkgate: is there going to be a new shelter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
The island platform waiting shelter and all information screens have been flattened. Foundations dug for new shelter?

Lack of any Passenger Information System (PIS) on the island platform is ridiculous, even temporarily as it so far from main platform.

The missing PIS screens haven't been there very long - is this a bit of a cockup?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm sure there will be a new one coming. And not before time, as the old one pre-dated the Crofton line and platform 3 reopening to passengers. That's why it had no openings to the platform 3 side.

HSP 2

Is that work not finished yet it was going on in the summer.
Train info. is available on platforms 2 & 3 at the top of the ramp from the subway. IIRC

matacaster

On Moderation
Is that work not finished yet it was going on in the summer.
Train info. is available on platforms 2 & 3 at the top of the ramp from the subway. IIRC

I suppose I may have missed the info displays, but it looked like they had been removed. I was reduced to using my smartphone.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I suppose I may have missed the info displays, but it looked like they had been removed. I was reduced to using my smartphone.

No, they've definitely gone on platforms 2 & 3. Hopefully they'll also get rid of that "art" installation in the subway that plays "Ilkley Moor Bah'tat" on a 30 second loop over and over and over again!

J-2739

Established Member
No, they've definitely gone on platforms 2 & 3. Hopefully they'll also get rid of that "art" installation in the subway that plays "Ilkley Moor Bah'tat" on a 30 second loop over and over and over again!
I've only heard Jerusalem being played in the subway. Is the Yorkshire anthem a recent addition?

johntea

Established Member
Probably the same contractors as the ones meant to be meant to be jazzing up Castleford station, they stuck some metal fencing up about 3 months ago and nothing since!

nimbus21

Looks like quite a substantial building is proposed

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/...ities-at-wakefield-kirkgate-station-1-9694529
‘Poor-quality’ facilities at Kirkgate could be upgraded after a train operator identified it as a key station for its London-bound service.

Passenger numbers at the station are on the increase and Grand Central is keen to capitalise on the trend.

The company runs direct Kings Cross services through Kirkgate which it has described as a ‘growth market’, and improvements in the pipeline include a new waiting area.

The proposed glass structure would sit between platforms two and three and replace the small existing shelter.

The heated building would also contain a waiting area, cafe, passenger toilets and facilities to allow staff to be based at the station.
Grand Central's site:
"Wakefield Kirkgate – provision of new standard class waiting room with toilets and coffee pod in addition to the Grand Central First Class lounge, replacing the existing waiting shelter. The waiting area will provide improved seating and charging facilities. The waiting room will utilise solar panels and rainwater harvesting."

Last edited by a moderator:

sheff1

Established Member
Hopefully they'll also get rid of that "art" installation in the subway that plays "Ilkley Moor Bah'tat" on a 30 second loop over and over and over again!

Not an art installation, I believe, but to deter undesirables from congregating. I have not encounted any for long time, so seems to have worked.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not an art installation, I believe, but to deter undesirables from congregating. I have not encounted any for long time, so seems to have worked.
The White Elephant (and now closed) food market next door to the bus station is probably a bigger draw for the undesirables of Wakey these days!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's good news that they're building something on that platform, including loos. The refurb of the station always seemed a bit unfinished when it came to that part of it.

DoubleO

It's not unstaffed as such, there are staff in the main cafe and they have ticket inspectors at the main entrance at peak times. And who's to say they're not going to employ people for the new facility?

Class195

Does anyone know why the island platform has two giant holes in the middle and almost half of it is currently condemned?

On a plus point, I noticed they've built a shop in there which is handy for those wanting papers and refreshments.

AndyHudds

I haven't been for a while but it was mentioned in another thread that they are to install a new waiting shelter I think.

Tractor37

It’s where the old waiting shelter has been removed and a new bigger one is being built.

xotGD

Established Member
Perhaps they will repurpose the waiting room recently removed from Leeds P16?

johntea

Established Member
Out of interest could any of these Northern owned station projects be delayed (or even knocked on the head) now Boris is in charge for a bit?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Perhaps they will repurpose the waiting room recently removed from Leeds P16?
That structure would share one of the problems of the old one: all the entrances are on the same side.

Better in the long run to build a new structure specified for that location.

Mugby

Established Member
I noticed last Saturday that new steel reinforcing has been set into the ground where the previous shelter was, obviously for a new concrete base (larger than before) to be laid.

On a separate note, the burnt out 'Wakefield Arms' pub has had new extensions built on to each of it's two ends.
Presumably it's becoming an apartments or offices development?

Leeds1970

as I haven't used GC for some time I'm unaware of the current state of play- but grand central were planning to move their traincrew and some of the back room staff to Kirkgate.

wensley

Established Member
as I haven't used GC for some time I'm unaware of the current state of play- but grand central were planning to move their traincrew and some of the back room staff to Kirkgate.
The office is already in the station building. Just the signing-on point at Bradford now.

The old pub is going to be flats and there's going to be a convenience store too.

Status
Not open for further replies.