• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield to Sheffield Season Ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRobinson

Hi,

Planning on living at home (Wakefield- my closest station is Sandal and Agbrigg) and commuting to university (Sheffield) next year. Looking for some advice on season tickets for the Winter Semester (24/9 - 14/12), because I've looked at National Rail and it's saying that it'll cost me £500!

Just wondering if there's any way of knocking that down a bit, TBH. I know that route direct will get it down, but not much...

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Do you hold any railcards? What time will you be travelling?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As you are a student, I assume you could be under 21? If so, combine a 16-21 Travelmaster for all of South Yorkshire with train tickets between Sandal/Wakefield and Moorthorpe.

The Travelmaster is £47.25 for 28 days if you are 18, or £56.30 if you are 19 or 20 and, in addition to trains, will also get you on trams and buses too. Season tickets between Wakefield and Moorthorpe are very pricey for some reason, so you would probably best just getting tickets on the day. You could also choose to go via Doncaster by purchasing tickets to South Elmsall too.

Note that the train MUST call at Moorthorpe or South Elmsall for this combination to be valid.

telstarbox

Established Member
Are you likely to need to go into uni five days a week? Depending on your course you may have 'days off' - you'll know for sure after you get the timetable Intro Week.

Also, Sheffield uni is super, you'll love it!

MattRobinson

Do you hold any railcards? What time will you be travelling?
I hold a YP railcard, but will most likely be travelling before 10am, which won't make it any use?

As you are a student, I assume you could be under 21? If so, combine a 16-21 Travelmaster for all of South Yorkshire with train tickets between Sandal/Wakefield and Moorthorpe.

The Travelmaster is £47.25 for 28 days if you are 18, or £56.30 if you are 19 or 20 and, in addition to trains, will also get you on trams and buses too. Season tickets between Wakefield and Moorthorpe are very pricey for some reason, so you would probably best just getting tickets on the day. You could also choose to go via Doncaster by purchasing tickets to South Elmsall too.

Note that the train MUST call at Moorthorpe or South Elmsall for this combination to be valid.
That seems like a route to investigate. All trains, AFAIK, that go from Sandal to Sheffield call at Moorthorpe. Thanks.

Are you likely to need to go into uni five days a week? Depending on your course you may have 'days off' - you'll know for sure after you get the timetable Intro Week.
I'm basing my travelling assumptions on last year's timetable, TBH. That was 5 mornings per week + afternoons as and when for labs.

Also, Sheffield uni is super, you'll love it!
I already do :)

34D

Established Member

Two points: if a Wakefield-Moorthorpe season was purchased in addition to the Travelmaster thingy the train wouldn't need to call IMV - but check SY publicity for XC exclusion on cross-boundary trains. Depending how much bus travel in Wakefield you may do, a student plus metrocard £19.70 (rail and bus in zones 1-5, cheaper than a public zone 2-5 one) may be suitable. There is no dispute that these two zonal tickets are valid for wakefield-sheffield.

Regarding going to Doncaster, I was told by Northern several years ago that South Elmsall and Moorthorpe tickets (from Fitzwilliam and beyond) are interchangeable. This being the case, your Wakefield-Moorthorpe season is valid at South Elmsall. I'd check this is still current though.

island

Veteran Member
I hold a YP railcard, but will most likely be travelling before 10am, which won't make it any use?

Depends on the price of the ticket you're buying. A Y-P Railcard discount is not available on tickets priced under £12 if they are to be used between Monday to Friday before 1000, although not at the moment as the restriction is lifted during July and August. Tickets priced up to £18.25 will be discounted to £12 in those circumstances. Anything over £18.25 gets the normal discount and validity.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Sorry I couldn't see your signature as I was replying via phone!

And it's been added since the original post :)

To the OP - if you travel to Keighley regularly presumably the Student Metrocard will be more attractive (I know I used to get a lot of use out of mine, both when at School and in University Holidays, including the summer I had a Student Metrocard, a GM 16-19 buscard and worked in Chadderton - bus drivers got used to me boarding with a pass in each hand every day to get over the border).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Two points: if a Wakefield-Moorthorpe season was purchased in addition to the Travelmaster thingy the train wouldn't need to call IMV - but check SY publicity for XC exclusion on cross-boundary trains. Depending how much bus travel in Wakefield you may do, a student plus metrocard £19.70 (rail and bus in zones 1-5, cheaper than a public zone 2-5 one) may be suitable. There is no dispute that these two zonal tickets are valid for wakefield-sheffield.

Regarding going to Doncaster, I was told by Northern several years ago that South Elmsall and Moorthorpe tickets (from Fitzwilliam and beyond) are interchangeable. This being the case, your Wakefield-Moorthorpe season is valid at South Elmsall. I'd check this is still current though.

Unfortunately, there is a specific term within the Ts & Cs which forbids this:

Travelmaster Ts & Cs said:
b. Zonal TravelMasters may not be used for part payment of rail journeys:
(i) leaving a zone unless the train stops at the last station in that zone to allow passengers to alight or (ii) entering a zone unless the train stops at the first station in that zone to take up passengers.

Whether this takes precedence over the NRCoC, or vice versa, is open to interpretation. There is no specific exclusion on XC, although Travelmasters aren't valid on East Coast and this is clearly stated on the ticket itself.

I was wondering about the Moorthorpe/South Elmsall ticket too, but couldn't find a suitable easement. I assume there could be a local agreement with Northern?

sheff1

Established Member
I was wondering about the Moorthorpe/South Elmsall ticket too, but couldn't find a suitable easement. I assume there could be a local agreement with Northern?

This sounds like one of the semi-official local interavailability arrangements which have slowly disappeared since 1993. Although previously well known by local booking offices and guards, the lack of central documentation of such things means that knowledge has been lost as people have left the railway.

Blackpool North/South is one such which is still in everday use, but even this is (as far as I am aware) not in the Routeing Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.