• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales and Borders Franchise - what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Isn't there plans to build a station at Beechwood on the halton curve?
There is talk about it but I've not seen any designs etc. Curve is due for completion in June I believe when the signalling is completed. The new crossover is due earlier in the year at the Halton end. I think the Frodsham end is complete. New service due in December.

Philip

On Moderation
Well I've said before that a reformed fleet of the spare 185s made up of 2 and 4 coach trains would work well for both the long distance and inter-urban services, but I've since read on here that it would be very difficult to reform them, so maybe not... What's more it's looking increasingly likely that they may end up staying with the current franchise, especially if Liverpool to Nottingham is added to the routes.

So rolling stock wise I'd like to see a follow-on order of 195s to work the North Wales inter-urban and Marches services, with the 175s going elsewhere; 30 3-coach sets to work the following in single formation:

Manchester to Swansea hourly service: fast south of Shrewsbury but with an hourly service for Nantwich.

Holyhead to Swansea hourly service via Wrexham (being realistic!): similar calling pattern as current as far as Shrewsbury (request stops between Holyhead and Llandudno Junction every 2 hours), then all stations to Cardiff and Swansea.

Liverpool to Wrexham hourly service via Halton Curve.

18 2-coach sets:

Hourly Manchester to Llandudno Junction portion worked as 4-coach sets, then splitting with one half for Llandudno, the other for Bangor with some extending to Holyhead (to connect with ferries). Calling pattern similar to now, with the Bangor portion also calling at Conwy.

Hourly Crewe to Chester shuttle in single formation.

Bi-hourly Crewe to Shrewsbury shuttle, as current.

Perhaps some extra Sprinters to join the franchise too, to be used for Borderlands, Conwy Valley, Heart of Wales, some Valleys services and for Swansea to South-West Wales. The 158s could then all be used for Birmingham to Cambrian line services.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Well I've said before that a reformed fleet of the spare 185s made up of 2 and 4 coach trains would work well for both the long distance and inter-urban services, but I've since read on here that it would be very difficult to reform them, so maybe not... What's more it's looking increasingly likely that they may end up staying with the current franchise, especially if Liverpool to Nottingham is added to the routes.

So rolling stock wise I'd like to see a follow-on order of 195s to work the North Wales inter-urban and Marches services, with the 175s going elsewhere; 30 3-coach sets to work the following in single formation:

Manchester to Swansea hourly service: fast south of Shrewsbury but with an hourly service for Nantwich.

Holyhead to Swansea hourly service via Wrexham (being realistic!): similar calling pattern as current as far as Shrewsbury (request stops between Holyhead and Llandudno Junction every 2 hours), then all stations to Cardiff and Swansea.

Liverpool to Wrexham hourly service via Halton Curve.

18 2-coach sets:

Hourly Manchester to Llandudno Junction portion worked as 4-coach sets, then splitting with one half for Llandudno, the other for Bangor with some extending to Holyhead (to connect with ferries). Calling pattern similar to now, with the Bangor portion also calling at Conwy.

Hourly Crewe to Chester shuttle in single formation.

Bi-hourly Crewe to Shrewsbury shuttle, as current.

Perhaps some extra Sprinters to join the franchise too, to be used for Borderlands, Conwy Valley, Heart of Wales, some Valleys services and for Swansea to South-West Wales. The 158s could then all be used for Birmingham to Cambrian line services.

Id go for Stadler Flirt Bi Modes so they can do the juice Manchester to Crewe Gresty and Newport to Swansea (being optimistic)

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Wales and Borders Franchise - what would you do?
Reform the Class 158 fleet from 24 x 2 car units to 10 x 3 car units and 9 x 2 car units and concentrate them ex Central Trains lines services.

Regional Express limited stops - BHM INTL to Shrewsbury Hourly with trains splitting for Chester every hour & Cambrian every hour. Off Peak 4 car , Peak 5/6/7 car formations.
Shrewsbury to Chester - all stations hourly (split/join Shrewsbury). Off Peak 2 car acceptable, Peak 3 car.
Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth- all stations hourly (split /join Shrewsbury). Off Peak 2 car acceptable, Peak 3 car.
Machynlleth to Pwllheli - all stations two hourly with some extra trains south of Barmouth. Off Peak 2 car acceptable, Peak 3 car.
* Allowance for 2 direct trains to Pwllhlei per weekday with connection for Aberystwyth. 3 on Saturdays.

2 car units used to strengthen weekday peak SHR to BHM INTL can be redeployed to Cambrian on summer Saturdays.

Mr Apples

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, and I realise I'm a bit late, but can anyone explain why the new Bow Street station, a 6-car platform on a single line, is going to cost £6million? What is the breakdown of figures?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, and I realise I'm a bit late, but can anyone explain why the new Bow Street station, a 6-car platform on a single line, is going to cost £6million? What is the breakdown of figures?
Ceredigion Council have wanted for years to do improvements to the road junction of the 2A roads near the station site but have never secured funding. The station entancew will lead off that junction so £ for public transport can nowpay for the road improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.