• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales and West services from Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colin1501

Going through some of my old photographs, I found one of a Wales and West Class 158 heading west along the SW main line near Basingstoke on 5th April 2000. My caption says that it is the 15.17 Wales and West service from Waterloo to Manchester Piccadilly and Pembroke Dock. However, I'm now wondering how a single unit could have served both destinations. Did it attach to another unit somewhere en route, and then divide again further on? Did it serve one destination first, and then the second one - although either option would have been a bit of a circuitous journey, especially Waterloo-Manchester-Pembroke?! Or did I simply get it wrong?

If anyone remembers or has access to the timetable at the time, I'd be grateful to know.

Colin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Going through some of my old photographs, I found one of a Wales and West Class 158 heading west along the SW main line near Basingstoke on 5th April 2000. My caption says that it is the 15.17 Wales and West service from Waterloo to Manchester Piccadilly and Pembroke Dock. However, I'm now wondering how a single unit could have served both destinations. Did it attach to another unit somewhere en route, and then divide again further on? Did it serve one destination first, and then the second one - although either option would have been a bit of a circuitous journey, especially Waterloo-Manchester-Pembroke?! Or did I simply get it wrong?

If anyone remembers or has access to the timetable at the time, I'd be grateful to know.

Colin

I have a copy of the National Rail timetable dated 28th May - 20th September 2000 and according to this you are quite correct about the 15:17 Wales & West service from Waterloo to Manchester Piccadilly & Pembroke Dock. It appears that it combined with a second W&W 158 from Portsmouth Harbour upon arrival at Bristol TM going as far as Newport from what I can tell, where the two units then split and went their separate ways, hope this helps...

Colin1501

I have a copy of the National Rail timetable dated 28th May - 20th September 2000 and according to this you are quite correct about the 15:17 Wales & West service from Waterloo to Manchester Piccadilly & Pembroke Dock. It appears that it combined with a second W&W 158 from Portsmouth Harbour upon arrival at Bristol TM going as far as Newport from what I can tell, where the two units then split and went their separate ways, hope this helps...
Brilliant - thanks very much. Glad to know I hadn't dreamt it! I wonder how many other examples there are of portion working where two units join at one point of the journey and then detach later on.

Bringback309s

I once travelled on a regular very late service from Newport (I believe, or Cardiff) into Paddington which was a RR class 158. It was about 1996. Apparently a pacer once stepped in for it!

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I once travelled on a regular very late service from Newport (I believe, or Cardiff) into Paddington which was a RR class 158. It was about 1996. Apparently a pacer once stepped in for it!
I've never seen 158's at Paddington once saw one at Goring & Streatley in 2001.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think these services have popped up on here before a couple of times.
What sort of journey times would they have taken end to end Mr B?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I think these services have popped up on here before a couple of times.
What sort of journey times would they have taken end to end Mr B?

The 15:17 off Waterloo arrived into Pembroke Dock at 22:12 with the Manchester portion reaching Stockport & Piccadilly at 21:24 & 21:34 respectively.

pdeaves

Established Member
thenorthern said:
Here is the timetable from 2003, it seems back then there was a London Waterloo to Manchester Piccadilly via Shrewsbury, Cwmbran and Bristol I never knew that.
I think the current SWR Waterloo-Bristol service is a remnant of this service.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The 15:17 off Waterloo arrived into Pembroke Dock at 22:12 with the Manchester portion reaching Stockport & Piccadilly at 21:24 & 21:34 respectively.
Interesting thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.