• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales & Borders Franchise Consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Absolutely - I think there's a strong case for an hourly stopper from Hereford to Crewe (and have posted that here before).

That way, Ludlow and Leominster would be served by this stopper and a few additional stops in the express services; Craven Arms and Church Stretton by this stopper and the occasional HOWL.

I'm not particularly familiar with the line south of Hereford (I've used it to Abergavenny a few times, but not regularly) so won't pronounce on what you do south of there, but if a stopper were to run there then absolutely, it would make sense to combine the two.

Abergavenny and Ludlow are quite prosperous areas that generate a lot of revenue rich long distance traffic. Abergavenny is on the outer fringe of the Cardiff and Bristol Travel to Work area as well. Ludlow sees a large number of schoolchildren commute to the Private Blue Coat school in Hereford - were talking serious £ per term. Leominster is more skewed toward commuting into Hereford for the Bluecoat school and also the FE college. However it has to be born in mind that the paucity of direct trains to London from Hereford mean that a lot of London traffic from the Marches goes via Newport hence why having a Regional Express stop at Ludlow and Leominster is important for London connections.

Abergavenny should be the outer terminus for Metro services to Cardiff. South of it lies the depressed UA of Torfaen despite having a large new town Cwmbran (pop c45k) and purpose built dual carriageways linking it to the M4. Cwmbran station has a lower footfall than Abergavenny but with 3 trains per 2 hours has the poorest service of any similar size town linked to Cardiff of a similar distance (18 miles). Pontypool & New Inn is proof that Beeching's rail heading assumptions were wrong - it was the junction for the cross Valleys line to Neath but despite Pontypool and a depressed valley up to Abersychan being a few miles away hardly anyone uses it. Caerleon has about 9K population and needs to have its station reopened its only 14 miles from Cardiff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bwlch y Groes

Caerleon has about 9K population and needs to have its station reopened its only 14 miles from Cardiff.

I've seen reports into this. I think the main problem with Caerleon is that the railway is on a really sharp curve going through there which makes building a new station very difficult and expensive. I suspect it'll happen eventually but it'll end up like Ilkeston, taking a lot longer than originally planned

gareth950

Presumably it ceases to be 'pork barrel politics' if the available money is spent in your area? :s

I can guarantee you that if Pembrokeshire was a solid Tory area and Stephen Crabb wasn't vulnerable Narbeth tunnel would not be planned to be needlessly expensively re-engineered.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Presumably it ceases to be 'pork barrel politics' if the available money is spent in your area? :s

Lets see .... Cambrian Mainline really could do with extending Welshpool to Fron double track to Forden and Buttington, Maybe the double track from Sutton Bridge Junction westward onto the Cambrian, a passing loop at Borth and a reinstated second platform at Aberystwyth. However a National UK Priority that needs announcing by the Chancellor in the budget- no.

The reality is that Tenby needs some tidy length direct services from the populace South Wales areas at certain times of the year. GWR HST's have been doing this as Regional Railways and successors have not had the resource to. The fact the HST's are to/from London is somewhat of a red herring.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
I've seen reports into this. I think the main problem with Caerleon is that the railway is on a really sharp curve going through there which makes building a new station very difficult and expensive. I suspect it'll happen eventually but it'll end up like Ilkeston, taking a lot longer than originally planned

I can remember discussion on this 15 years ago in my RPC days... the slow progress of UK rail improvements

berneyarms

Established Member
If Holyhead has 4tpd to London why not have some GWR services to meet Pembroke and Fishguard services? Presumably GWR services to Pembroke Dock will be 5 coaches splitting and joining in Swansea?

I think that you’re overplaying the ferry connections.

There are six VT services to and from Holyhead each day - only two of them in each direction offer ferry connections.

The rest are there to offer a direct service from North Wales to London.

Class 170101

Established Member
Here's the new Stadler Regional Product the WINK - probably no coming to Wales or the Borders but we can dream..
28_wink_cam1_grey_web_1530px_srgb.jpg__1020x680_q90_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

http://www.stadlerrail.com/en/products/detail/wink/

Given that thing is an electric train with a diesel fuel tank bolted on, all I'll say is be careful what you wish for.

Domh245

Established Member
Given that thing is an electric train with a diesel fuel tank bolted on, all I'll say is be careful what you wish for.

Not quite, the regional FLIRT's ordered for Greater Anglia are an electric train with a diesel generator bolted on, the WINK is a FLIRT, but with the possibility of using batteries, hydrogen, or fuel cells in place of the diesel engine (although the diesel remains an option, including running on hydrogenated vegetable oil)

Class 170101

Established Member
Nevertheless be careful what you wish for these are basically electric trains. I wouldn't be surprised if fuel range was insufficient to complete a days work on the Valleys.

gareth950

OK. One man's 'pork barrel' politics is another's 'overdue investment'.
Oh come on. The place where there is 'overdue investment' needed in South Wales is to have enough money to do a propoer job of the Metro and fully electrify the Valley lines, not re-boring Narbeth tunnel for potential political gain.
If you asked Network Rail where the lines are in Wales that need 'overdue investment' this pork barrel scheme wouldn't even make it on the list.

Last edited:

coppercapped

Established Member
If they enlarge the tunnel then they can get bigger barrels of pork through it.
Thank you! That is the type of answer I expected...but everybody is so serious... :(

(One man's 'pork barrel politics' is another's 'representing the interests of the local community'. The applicability of such a phrase depends on where one stands).

DenmarkRail

If Abellio won the franchise, would there be any competition issues? Considering they will be running West Midlands, Northern, and Mersey Rail?

Pete_uk

Established Member
I'll pup my head up above the parapet and ask if some short (3-5 carriages) HSTs could be used for some longer services, perhaps the north to south services to free stock up for other service?

craigybagel

Established Member
I'll pup my head up above the parapet and ask if some short (3-5 carriages) HSTs could be used for some longer services, perhaps the north to south services to free stock up for other service?
Until a year or two ago, I was expecting that myself. But after the new train bonanzas at the new Anglia, Northern and London Midland franchises I'm not sure if the WAG will accept anything that isn't new and shiny....

DanNCL

Established Member
If Abellio won the franchise, would there be any competition issues? Considering they will be running West Midlands, Northern, and Mersey Rail?
Abellio don't operate Northern anymore; they lost out to Arriva last year. The only stations served by both ATW and Merseyrail are Bidston and Chester, and the only route with both ATW and West Midlands services is Shrewsbury to Birmingham. Seeing as there is such little overlap I can't see there being any competition issues if Abellio won the Wales & Borders franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.