• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales & Borders Franchise Consultation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
A low grade PIS is quite cheap. The toilets could be locked out of use.

Do the ATW 142s have the original door controls? If they do they'll need changing as well, as well the addition of an audible door release sound. There also might need to be changes to grab handles, the floor covering, priority seating arrangements etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
The 158s also need the new alarm sounders for when the doors are released. Fortunately they have already been fitted with 2 wheelchair spaces.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Do the ATW 142s have the original door controls? If they do they'll need changing as well, as well the addition of an audible door release sound.

Or wire the doors up to open and close on the guard's control as per Merseyrail and plate them over. It's a service similar to Merseyrail and it just requires a cheap bare minimum setup to allow them to continue for what, another 1-5 years?

There also might need to be changes to grab handles, the floor covering, priority seating arrangements etc.

Not expensive in the scheme of things.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
That just leaves the two mark 3 rakes with no easy solution, unless CAF can tag on a few extra coaches to TPE's mark 5 order or Virgin East Coast release some mark 4s in time.

I believe Hull Trains 180s come off lease in 2019, potentially 20 more vehicles at Chester alongside the similar 175s would seem practical.

And from a bidders perspective better intercity stock presumably pulls the right levers with the minister...

Dai Corner

Established Member
I believe Hull Trains 180s come off lease in 2019, potentially 20 more vehicles at Chester alongside the similar 175s would seem practical.

And from a bidders perspective better intercity stock presumably pulls the right levers with the minister...

What about 'Gerald'? Could a full breakfast and dinner service be provided on a 180?

Rhydgaled

Established Member

Assuming Grand Central don't want them (and I seem to recall reading something that suggested Grand Central might end up taking on the entire class 180 fleet) and Hull Trains haven't removed the buffets then that would do the job nicely. If it is possible to diagram 3 sets that would also allow for a mirror working for Gerald (northbound in the morning, southbound in the evening).

HH

Established Member
As Abellio were in bed with Carillion, does that mean that they will now have to withdraw their bid?

gareth950

JetStream

As Abellio were in bed with Carillion, does that mean that they will now have to withdraw their bid?

The cynic in me suggests that because the announcement has been kicked back 2-3 months, it'll help Abellio find a replacement partner.

HH

Established Member
The cynic in me suggests that because the announcement has been kicked back 2-3 months, it'll help Abellio find a replacement partner.
At the speed Abellio move at (everything has to be approved by NS, for example), I doubt that 6 months would be enough, even if there weren't other hurdles.

dorsetdesiro

It is understood the new franchise will come under the "Transport for Wales" brand reflecting devolved government control akin to ScotRail, NI Railways and West Midlands Railway.

Does anyone reckon there will be a blanket single TfW brand for all transport like coaches, buses and trains were once all branded "National Express" or this may come with strands like NI's Translink operating NI Railways, Ulsterbus, Goldline and Enterprise therefore something like "TfW: Welsh Rail" for the railways, "TfW: Metro" for the South Wales commuter lines?

gareth950

It is understood the new franchise will come under the "Transport for Wales" brand reflecting devolved government control akin to ScotRail, NI Railways and West Midlands Railway.

Does anyone reckon there will be a blanket single TfW brand for all transport like coaches, buses and trains were once all branded "National Express" or this may come with strands like NI's Translink operating NI Railways, Ulsterbus, Goldline and Enterprise therefore something like "TfW: Welsh Rail" for the railways, "TfW: Metro" for the South Wales commuter lines?

It will only carry 'Transport for Wales' branding in the South Wales Metro area. Everywhere else will be TOC branded.

dorsetdesiro

It will only carry 'Transport for Wales' branding in the South Wales Metro area. Everywhere else will be TOC branded.

Cheers for the confirmation.

That's a bit confusing, the metro area may as well be called "Transport for South Wales" as TfW would make more sense if this was applied to the whole country. This would be like most of Scotland's railways being run by for example "MTR Saltire Trains" and with ScotRail only serving Greater Glasgow!

eisenach

I thought I'd heard rumours that the new CAF plant in Newport was working on a novel propulsion package based on onboard steam turbines generating electricity for traction motors. It's said to have run into objections from the RSPCA. Pity, really. I think if it had worked the whole welsh network was going to be branded something like "Dragon Rail".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought I'd heard rumours that the new CAF plant in Newport was working on a novel propulsion package based on onboard steam turbines generating electricity for traction motors. It's said to have run into objections from the RSPCA. Pity, really. I think if it had worked the whole welsh network was going to be branded something like "Dragon Rail".

I thought Idris was a bit busy making sure the fryer was going properly at the local chippy.

Dai Corner

Established Member

I can't imagine Grayling being happy with trains to Manchester, Birmingham etc being branded 'Transport for Wales'!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I can't imagine Grayling being happy with trains to Manchester, Birmingham etc being branded 'Transport for Wales'!

I don't see why he should care any more than the people of Salzburg aren't whining about trains with DB on them in their Hbf. Nor are we whining about trains with DB on them throughout the UK. (Well, we whine about the TOCs with DB on them, but that's not because of the involvement of DB themselves).

gareth950

Hope the trains are painted a bright red, white and green. I'm sure it's been done before
It has. When 'Valley lines' was it's own franchise 1997-2001 that was the colour scheme. ATW's 143's still had that interior colour scheme until their recent refresh.

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't see why he should care any more than the people of Salzburg aren't whining about trains with DB on them in their Hbf. Nor are we whining about trains with DB on them throughout the UK. (Well, we whine about the TOCs with DB on them, but that's not because of the involvement of DB themselves).

DB are an operator, Transport for Wales aren't.

PR1Berske

Established Member
"Transport for Wales and Borders/Trafnidiaeth Cymru a'r Gororau" should cause him no end of sleepless nights

gareth950

Any clues yet as to what will happen to the 175s once the new franchise is up and running?
There are no clues about anything to do with the franchise apart from the platitudes coming from Ken Skates (Welsh Govt Transport & Economy minister). It's the first ever franchise award to be conducted in total secrecy. Anything anyone says they know is pure speculation and/or rumour.

HH

Established Member
Lots of rumours flying around about rolling stock - I'm guessing that there are some very different solutions as just about everyone seems to have been approached by someone. Something old, something new, something borrowed...

HH

Established Member
There are no clues about anything to do with the franchise apart from the platitudes coming from Ken Skates (Welsh Govt Transport & Economy minister). It's the first ever franchise award to be conducted in total secrecy. Anything anyone says they know is pure speculation and/or rumour.
No decision will have been made yet - evaluation takes time.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Lots of rumours flying around about rolling stock - I'm guessing that there are some very different solutions as just about everyone seems to have been approached by someone. Something old, something new, something borrowed...

Any blue rolling stock coming off lease soon? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.