• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales: facing a looming DMU crisis (esp. on the Valleys)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
Just because Siemens have a depot doesn't mean it can easily service DMU stock - is there capacity available, can it cope with the requirements of DMU maintenance, such as engine swaps, does it have the necessary pollution control measures needed for engine oil, fuels etc, does it even have a fuelling road, or even space to install bunded storage etc.

However, conversely the 185's aren't going to sit idle (not at circa £6.9 million in lost lease costs per year for the 21 spare units) of there is a suitable option somewhere other than at the existing depot. Obviously having Sieman's depot (even if it is an EMU one) would reduce the cost of moving (even if the depot is not actually in the same location) to SWT over somewhere else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
However, conversely the 185's aren't going to sit idle (not at circa £6.9 million in lost lease costs per year for the 21 spare units) of there is a suitable option somewhere other than at the existing depot. Obviously having Sieman's depot (even if it is an EMU one) would reduce the cost of moving (even if the depot is not actually in the same location) to SWT over somewhere else.

It doesn't necessarily reduce the cost over moving the stock elsewhere, it depends on the costs incurred in adapting an EMU depot (with finite capacity) to cope with another 21 x 3 car units (which happen to be diesel, with additional demands on facilities).

This is all assuming they need to go somewhere that already has a Siemens depot, and/or that it's not cheaper for Siemens to build new or to refurbish an existing DMU depot site, such as Salisbury.

The Ham

Established Member
It doesn't necessarily reduce the cost over moving the stock elsewhere, it depends on the costs incurred in adapting an EMU depot (with finite capacity) to cope with another 21 x 3 car units (which happen to be diesel, with additional demands on facilities).

This is all assuming they need to go somewhere that already has a Siemens depot, and/or that it's not cheaper for Siemens to build new or to refurbish an existing DMU depot site, such as Salisbury.

I was saying that, assuming that the existing depot wasn't suitable for the DMU's, that having another Siemens depot nearby (I.e. possibly having a depot at Salisbury) could reduce the costs compared to having one a long way away. As they would be close enough that staff could be switched between the two (either long or short term) easily, likewise any common parts could be moved between the two sites with ease.

However the main point was that there is relatively little keeping the 185's at their existing depot if there is work for them elsewhere, as some seem to be suggesting would be the case.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't really see why they have to be maintained at any Siemens depot anyway. Presumably the maintenance contract with Siemens was set up with the previous TPE franchise and expired with that franchise, with a short extension to keep the units in service until replaced by the new build units. After that whoever owns them and whoever wishes to operate them are free to agree whatever sort of maintenance contract they want. For example I think the GE 360 fleet is maintaned by AGA not Siemens.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I don't really see why they have to be maintained at any Siemens depot anyway. Presumably the maintenance contract with Siemens was set up with the previous TPE franchise and expired with that franchise, with a short extension to keep the units in service until replaced by the new build units. After that whoever owns them and whoever wishes to operate them are free to agree whatever sort of maintenance contract they want. For example I think the GE 360 fleet is maintaned by AGA not Siemens.

The AGA 360s are maintained by Siemens at Ilford

Status
Not open for further replies.