• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wales may make Trains and Buses reservation only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The next stage of lockdown release is allegedly the 15th (or was it the 16th?)

It probably makes sense to run services up properly in advance of this to check it is workable - Monday would be one week in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It is frankly ridiculous this Welsh Government needs to live in the real world! I just checked the TFW site and from M onday, at least from Merthyr, as full service is running again, every 30 mins. No mention of it anywhere though. It makes no sense, as I could go back to work but as I am not a key worker what is the point of bringing a 30 minute service carrying fresh air - or does somebody know something I do not?

No. It is not a full service. The COVID Timetable is reviewed on a weekly basis depending on the COVID situation and feedback received and an amended Timetable will be uploaded on Saturday so what you see is the basic Timetable without any cancellations or any alterations.

Markdvdman

I work from home so it is not the end of the world but would love to go back to work! Buy you are probably correct, they are testing the waters a week ahead. I cannot see how reservations only will be workable though but hey ho what do I know eh?

Markdvdman

Ah Philipe you are probably correct, as that would be a complete waste of money - though whenever I checked previous weeks it did not show such a service - an anomaly maybe?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Ah Philipe you are probably correct, as that would be a complete waste of money - though whenever I checked previous weeks it did not show such a service - an anomaly maybe?

The base service will show up until any alterations are made and these alterations are decided on at the latest opportunity which, because of an ever changing situation, is not until the end of the week.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Oh boy, someone on here is going to be all over this any minute now.... o_O

If they really plan on doing this, I hope they have a defined list of "key workers" distributed to all train and bus staff, and a means to actually check it. And if reservations come in and those "key workers" find themselves not being able to travel because their jobs aren't neat little 9-5 ones, I hope TfW have fleets of taxis ready to sort out all the problems they are going to face.

Another political disaster incoming.....

Also some people, especially at this time, might have to travel at short notice

sheff1

Established Member
Leyton Powell, Transport for Wales' safety and assurance director, said: "Only travel by rail if it's absolutely essential and you have no other means of transport available."
He added: "Our capacity is down because of social distancing, less than 10% availability. We cannot guarantee people's safety unless we manage the controls at all times, we are trying to run a safe service for our key workers."

So TfW are guaranteeing safety with their control policies. Interesting, has anyone ever guaranteed people's safety on public transport before ?

kieron

Established Member
Except that it says they are already trialling it in Newport. So it has got beyond the stage of just being a bright idea.
The "Fflecsi" trial (which started on 18th May) involves replacing buses in part of an urban area with demand-responsive transport. That may be what you think of when you read that tickets may need to be pre-booked. Personally, I was thinking of something more like National Express.

The quote in the article where I felt the minister referred to compulsory reservations is the one which says "We will have to consider measures such as pre-booking only, such as careful travel planning, such as prioritisation of who travels on buses and trains - for example key workers and disabled people."

Based, on this, I think the measures given in that quote are all still "just an idea" to address a problem which hasn't arisen yet in Wales. If it does, the people making the decisions should know a lot more about what's actually going wrong, and so have more idea of what shape a remedy should take.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It is frankly ridiculous this Welsh Government needs to live in the real world! I just checked the TFW site and from Monday, at least from Merthyr, a full service is running again, every 30 mins. No mention of it anywhere though. It makes no sense, as I could go back to work but as I am not a key worker what is the point of bringing a 30 minute service carrying fresh air - or does somebody know something I do not?

Real Time Trains is still showing a two-hourly service, unless it just hasn't been updated yet. But usually it's updated straight away whenever service levels change.

Markdvdman

I just checked it is showing a 2 hourly service, but if you look the week after it reverts to the standard service. So, they only do it week by week it seems. I complained to them on Twitter how come Merthyr is the only terminii with no hourly service whatsoever (except the one added service in the morning). They said they would look into it and as usual completely ignored. Short changed with a bad 2 hourly service - such is TFW for you!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The process was explained in Posts starting at Post #29. The COVID Timetable is updated weekly at the end of the previous week.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Still does not explain though why Merthyr has the worst timetabled service of all the Valleys services? I know you explained and thank you for that :)

Merthyr has the worst one on a Sunday and this is the Timetable that is being used.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Merthyr has the worst one on a Sunday and this is the Timetable that is being used.
Which is very strange, given that Merthyr is one of the largest places in the valleys. I think second only to Caerphilly which has a half hourly service on Sundays.

Regarding the topic in question, I think it will be a while before any public transport in Wales needs reservations. Some buses and trains are empty, many more have loads in low single figures. Hopefully this will change when more shops open again.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for the discussion of the proposal to make public transport reservation only in Wales. If anyone wants to discuss anything else such as timetables etc then please create a new thread in the appropriate area. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.