• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking between Blackfriars Underground and South Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannedfrog

Walking between Blackfriars Underground and the South Bank across the railway bridge certainly is possible without penalty using Oyster PAYG or a contactless card (providing you touch at all the gatelines even if the gates are open).

However the staff there seem to discourage this shortcut. Is there an official answer to whether it is allowed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Walking between Blackfriars Underground and the South Bank across the railway bridge certainly is possible without penalty using Oyster PAYG or a contactless card (providing you touch at all the gatelines even if the gates are open).

However the staff there seem to discourage this shortcut. Is there an official answer to whether it is allowed?

As far as I know it only works if you come from the underground or leave on the underground, it doesn't work as a shortcut from street to street entrances.

If using Oyster or contactless why would staff get involved at all?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe from a previous discussion if your first entry is on the south bank, then there is an issue if you take longer than 30 minutes to exit the NR gate line on the north side, as same station exit rules will kick in and charge two maximum cash fares.

tannedfrog

If using Oyster or contactless why would staff get involved at all?

Because when the trains are disrupted, the gateline staff try to stop people going through. I have also heard gateline staff telling tourists that they have to use the other bridge to get from the South Bank entrance to the underground.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If it's an official answer you want, then it's on the list of Out-of-station interchanges. So provided you get touch in at the LU gates within 20 minutes of the NR ones there's no charge.
Thank you but I thought this just applied to switching modes of transport, rather than using a railway platform as a shortcut?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
An "out of station interchange" OSI also applies anywhere you have to pass through successive gatelines using the same mode, e.g. between the two separate Hammersmith LU paid areas, the list shows a number of same mode OSIs.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that gateline staff on the NR side at Blackfriars don't have much of a clue how the system works normally.

tannedfrog

An "out of station interchange" OSI also applies anywhere you have to pass through successive gatelines using the same mode, e.g. between the two separate Hammersmith LU paid areas, the list shows a number of same mode OSIs.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that gateline staff on the NR side at Blackfriars don't have much of a clue how the system works normally.
Thanks for this.

It's a shame, as by using the railway bridge you avoid rain, wind, pollution and can use the lift rather than stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.