• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking between Hertford East and Hertford North on Map WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

benk1342

Does Routeing Guide Map WA allow walking between Hertford North and Hertford East?

A simple example is Stevenage to Cambridge, which is valid via map WA.
Would Stevenage > Hertford North > (walk) > Hertford East > Broxbourne > Cambridge be a permitted route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
That is indeed what that's meant to represent, yes.

Walking interchanges at Enfield, St Albans and Windsor (none of which are routing points, interestingly) are shown similarly.

O L Leigh

Established Member
There are even "via Hertford" tickets sold that take advantage of this walking route between the two stations to avoid London, as I discovered when I was confronted with a confused passenger at Stratford who'd boarded my train at Waltham Cross with a "via Hertford" ticket to Biggleswade.

O L Leigh

benk1342

There are even "via Hertford" tickets sold that take advantage of this walking route between the two stations to avoid London, as I discovered when I was confronted with a confused passenger at Stratford who'd boarded my train at Waltham Cross with a "via Hertford" ticket to Biggleswade.

Yes, I've seen those (a trivial example being Stevenage - Ware), but as it is a specific routing I wasn't sure that it proved that taking such a route would be permitted when relying on a mapped route.

I haven't been able to get a journey planner to route me via the Hertford walk unless (1) there is a Via Hertford ticket available, or (2) taking the Hertford walk is shorter than the shortest route not involving a walk. In other words, I haven't been able to prove that journey planners will approve mapped routes via the Hertford walk.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Sure, but what manner of masochist goes from Stevenage to Cambridge via Hertford and Broxbourne and the West Anglia services...? Whether or not this is a permitted route would depend on the Routing Guide which, as a driver, I have no knowledge. I would suspect that it would at least cause a WA gripper to raise his eyebrows in your direction.

O L Leigh

benk1342

Sure, but what manner of masochist goes from Stevenage to Cambridge via Hertford and Broxbourne and the West Anglia services...?

Oh, none, I'm sure. But knowing that walking between Hertford East and Hertford North is valid on mapped routes can be handy for other reasons.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Sure, but what manner of masochist goes from Stevenage to Cambridge via Hertford and Broxbourne and the West Anglia services...? Whether or not this is a permitted route would depend on the Routing Guide which, as a driver, I have no knowledge. I would suspect that it would at least cause a WA gripper to raise his eyebrows in your direction.

O L Leigh

I've done Hertford North - Hertford East - Broxbourne - Cambridge - Ely - Peterborough in order to get home, took me 4 hours though!

Only reason I did it was simply because I had done 12 hours and due to a fatality at Finsbury Park, I couldn't be assured of the next service/s via Stevenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.