• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking Britain's Lost Railways - Channel 5 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I expect the "Walking" part of the title was dropped as Rob Bell walking 20yds for the benefit of the camera does not constitute walking an old railway. A more accurate title would be "Things That Are Near Old Railways. Tonight's about the M&GN has had very little about railways. I've seen airfields,boats and roller coasters and only a brief visit to Melton Constable and one other station.
I know these shows have to have mass appeal but the railway content is so light I'm surprised it doesn't blow away!
I was hoping at least for a simplified explanation of how the Midland and the Great Northern chose to jointly attack the territory dominated by the Great Eastern.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I know these shows have to have mass appeal but the railway content is so light I'm surprised it doesn't blow away!
I was hoping at least for a simplified explanation of how the Midland and the Great Northern chose to jointly attack the territory dominated by the Great Eastern.
Once again the point of these type of programmes is being missed, as, similarly to Michael Portillo they are not aimed at railway enthusiasts exclusively.
What Rob is effectively doing, is exploring the way the railway changed the area it passed through, and what it was primarily used for. This being on disused lines whereas Mr Portillo does a similar thing based (very loosely most of the time) on existing lines. Obviously, with lines closed over 50 years ago, there is a very small amount of "railway" infrastructure remaining, but it is always amazing that they manage to find as much as they do. Particularly last week near Balmoral, there was much more evidence remaining, than was available for last night's episode. As Rob explained, because of the terrain of East Anglia, there were few structures required when the line was built, so in that case less to identify as a former railway. I don't think this issue will ever be resolved, as clearly everyone given free choice about the contents of a programme, would come up with different priorities. Just enjoy it for what it is, a railway connected guide to our history.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Imagine sitting down to watch a programme about the BSA Bantham. To keep it viewer friendly you'd probably get 10mins on the actual bike,5 mins of random chickens running around and 10 mins of a Z list celebrity sitting on a Kawasaki extolling the virtues of bike riding! I bet you'd feel disappointed at the end of it. Well that's how I feel about dumbed down railway programmes. There are plenty of serious documentaries on a variety of subjects on Quest,Discovery etc to prove that it can be done. So is it to much to ask for a sensible series of railway programmes without any crowd pleasing frills?

I don't think you are being serious, but the obvious answer, is to perhaps contact channel 5, and express your views, to see if they can provide a satisfactory explanation. Clearly I have not. In the meantime, I hope they continue to make more programmes, as there are plenty of available lines to explore. Sadly there are even fewer programmes on motorcycles than there are on railways, but I get your point.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I expect the "Walking" part of the title was dropped as Rob Bell walking 20yds for the benefit of the camera does not constitute walking an old railway. A more accurate title would be "Things That Are Near Old Railways. Tonight's about the M&GN has had very little about railways. I've seen airfields,boats and roller coasters and only a brief visit to Melton Constable and one other station.

I agree with you, Ashley, and I'm sure series 1 was far more railway-orientated. Unfortunately Channel 5, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to think that a programme that just features a presenter walking old railways and discovering the various relics and infrastructure along the route makes for mainstream television appeal.

I did think there were some interesting parts in the M&GN episode such as the Melton Constable visit and the restoration of Honing station but I didn't like the "have-a-go" bits that seem to typify these sorts of shows. Why do we need to see the presenter going paddle-boarding or riding a rollercoaster on what's supposed to be a programme about walking old railways? It's a shame really as I quite like Rob Bell's enthusiasm and "matey" presenting style, but in this series it seems Channel 5 are trying to turn him into a Poundshop Portillo!

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I don't think you are being serious, but the obvious answer, is to perhaps contact channel 5, and express your views, to see if they can provide a satisfactory explanation. Clearly I have not. In the meantime, I hope they continue to make more programmes, as there are plenty of available lines to explore. Sadly there are even fewer programmes on motorcycles than there are on railways, but I get your point.
I do understand your point Alan and I really don't expect C5 to be able to make high-brow documentaries,however there are channels that can!
There's Monster Carp for those who fish or WW2 or car restoration.These sort of programmes and are not necessarily aimed at the masses and neither would a railway documentary. It would be made for railway enthusiasts as the sole target audience.
I mentioned on another thread that I have in the past written to UKTV with suggestions for shows and had nothing but polite thank you's and non committal answers. I fear I'd only receive the same response from C5.

I mentioned on another thread that I have in the past written to UKTV with suggestions for shows and had nothing but polite thank you's and non committal answers. I fear I'd only receive the same response from C5.
Yes, in fact I did the same, suggesting a programme on canal engineering and infrastructure, you know, aquaducts, tunnels, pump stations, boat lifts, etc., which I thought might be Rob Bell's type of thing. No reply to that. I walk canals as well as old railways, and find the engineering of both equally fascinating. Fortunately there are some very high quality disused railway videos on you tube, which have helped maintain sanity at this difficult time to go out.

Iskra

Established Member
Tonight’s episode was a lot more railway related, even featuring a ride on a pacer prototype!

Although I enjoyed Tony Robinson’s Vladivostok-Helsinki programme that was on directly afterwards much more, however that’s more of a travel programme featuring trains.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Tonight’s episode was a lot more railway related, even featuring a ride on a pacer prototype!
Yes, it seemed to say a little more about the railway side, although dropping a bit of a clanger in suggesting the London service on the Waverley route went via the WCML when it was actually the Midland.

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, it seemed to say a little more about the railway side, although dropping a bit of a clanger in suggesting the London service on the Waverley route went via the WCML when it was actually the Midland.

Yeah I thought that too!

I noticed that his walking boots are in suspiciously good conditon too...

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Whilst I learnt about Cashmere I was wondering about Hawick station itself. Is the route through the town still available for any reopening,and does anything exist of the old station. Ian Nairns film shows the stations parcel office was still open in 1972.

Status
Not open for further replies.