• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking into First Class carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
Whilst there should undoubtedly be select circumstances that demand exceptions, I believe that most people who pay a premium for first class do so with some expectations that their travel will be differentiated from that in standard class. So if those expectations include a newspaper but there aren't any because standard class passengers have taken them, or if they expect a calmer place to work but keep getting bashed by standard class passengers pushing past in the race to be off the train first, or having to wait longer for the toilet because standard class passengers have decided to use those allocated to first... Ultimately if the expected additional benefits travellers percieve that they gen from first repeatedly fail to be delivered, then the additional revenue is at risk in future. And I believe that rail staff should see it as an intrinsic part of their jobs to stop casual and one off erosion they see taking place to first class benefits to protect the premium customers pay for it.

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Has anyone ever used those pointless vouchers they give you, or the ones on the extra receipt? I certainly haven't. The 'Would you like [insert almost out of date confectionery brand name here] for a pound?' annoys me, if I wanted it, I think I may have indicated. I wouldn't normally miss a massive pile of chocolate on the counter plastered with discount stickers and need to have it brought to my attention.

I quite often use the coupons, but never the confectionary. If till staff don't offer you confectionary or hand you the voucher of the day they can be subject to disciplinary action.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Far too many scan the voucher and keep it, suggesting they must have been told to do that (it's not as if there aren't usually enough vouchers there). They are probably told to scan them every sale, so it appears they were given out, and it's entirely up to them if they actually do give them. Again - if I was paying to have a voucher put in all stores, I'd be livid knowing this happens so regularly.

I've been very tempted, but have so far resisted, asking for the voucher to be unscanned/refunded as I don't want it (especially if I'm not even being given it!). Maybe someone should try that!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would love to do that Jon, however a) it will mean spending money their in the first place and b) it wouldn't be particularly fair on the clerk!

TP

Ascot

Established Member
I like the free bottle of water with a newspaper offers they give out. It's always handy to keep a bottle of water in my bag if I'm out all day.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I like the free bottle of water with a newspaper offers they give out. It's always handy to keep a bottle of water in my bag if I'm out all day.

Alternatively you can just buy one of these bobble bottles, which I only discovered recently. They filter tap water, making it taste just like bottled water. They save you a fortune in the long run, as well as being more environmentally friendly!

calc7

Established Member
Outside London I find the tap water tastes nice enough anyway.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Nothing wrong with tap water in London either (a bit hard, perhaps but I'm used to it) but finding it can be a little tricky. Not so many water fountains about anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.