• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walking to Berney Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
From Wickhampton, how long would a walk to Berney Arms take and is it well signposted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
Good question. While I know the area north of the Yare very well, i'm not so familiar with this side of it. I've looked at google maps but it's difficult to work out a walking route because of the marshes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no signposting at all from Wickhampton(for the actual station). Might be worth getting hold (or having a look at) an Ordnance Survey map if possible as you could end up with wet feet/going round fields trying to get across dykes if you don't use a footpath.

I reckon it would be walkable though. Maybe 3-4 miles?

davetheguard

Established Member
It's certainly walkable from Great Yarmouth station - I've done it.

The path is straightforward (along the side of Bredon Water), the only problem we had was finding the start at the Great Yarmouth end; behind a supermarket, if I remember correctly.

After a visit to the pub itself for lunch (the Berney Arms), we then caught the train back to Norwich.

If you're planning to do something similar, I have heard a rumour that the pub is "temporarily" closed; might be worth checking in advance to be sure.

cuccir

Established Member
If you use Bing Maps (I know, hear me out!), there's an option at the top left to switch to the Ordnance Survey map, which shows the route.

tsr

Established Member
Good question. While I know the area north of the Yare very well, i'm not so familiar with this side of it. I've looked at google maps but it's difficult to work out a walking route because of the marshes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no signposting at all from Wickhampton(for the actual station). Might be worth getting hold (or having a look at) an Ordnance Survey map if possible as you could end up with wet feet/going round fields trying to get across dykes if you don't use a footpath.

I reckon it would be walkable though. Maybe 3-4 miles?

It is walkable, as far as I know, although I am not especially familiar with that specific set of footpaths around there. I think the OP would need to walk from the church at Wickhampton and follow the track/road to the right of the church in an Easterly direction until it ends, then turn left (thus heading North-East) onto what appears to be an unnamed (maybe unmarked) footpath. This path meets the Weavers' Way (should be signposted), which heads in two directions, so turn right and head South-East. This leads to the foot crossing at the railway station.

I too would suggest walking distance is around 3-4 miles, not counting any wrong turns which even experienced walkers have made in that area. It may be easier to follow the Weavers' Way from Stone Road, Halvergate (Halvergate is just North of Wickhampton). I would leave plenty of extra time in case of this, plus walking speeds slowed by mud - oh, and the local timetable.

I am going by what local knowledge I have, OS Landranger 134 ("Norwich & The Broads; Great Yarmouth" - unfortunately I only have the 1997 Edition to hand) the Open-Source map at http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.5911/1.5918 and also some local walking maps which I am remembering "off the top of my head". However, I cannot guarantee any accuracy!

Edit: I see since looking this up and posting that 3 other posts have appeared. This all seems good advice to me. I would add that the Weavers' Way is not the exact footpath from Wickhampton so may be slightly harder to access.

Last edited:

Johnnie2Sheds

Blimey, I cant believe the station now has a "Shelter". Did the walk a few times in the late 70s/ Early 80s to the Berney Arms, just get off the train ( I seem to remember a 31 and 12 on stopping for us request) and head for the pub. I have a vague recollection of a drinking competition with Abbott Ale in that pub too.... happy daze...:)

cjohnson

It's certainly walkable from Great Yarmouth station - I've done it.

The path is straightforward (along the side of Bredon Water), the only problem we had was finding the start at the Great Yarmouth end; behind a supermarket, if I remember correctly.

Some of the footpath at the Great Yarmouth end (from Breydon Jct) is currently closed until September, so it's a bit of a diversion round the industrial estates of Yarmouth and less well-signed paths at the moment. (Here's a map showing the closure).

If you're planning to do something similar, I have heard a rumour that the pub is "temporarily" closed; might be worth checking in advance to be sure.

It was open (and serving fine Woodforde's Wherry) just a couple of weeks ago.

Gathursty

Established Member
Many thanks for your replies.

On Friday morning at about 7.40am, I pulled up at St Andrew's Church, Wickhampton and followed the track to it's conclusion through the marshes and groups of cattle. The walk to the station was overcast but the morning sun unleashed a shower on the way back to the car, making every thing below the shins a rather brown affair. I saw the morning unit in the near distance but I was about 400m from the platform. I decided to not venture to the pub on the presence of large bull-shaped bouncers beyond the line!

Status
Not open for further replies.