• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Walruscard trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdickinson

If anyone lives near Liverpool they can join a trial of the Walrus card.

Walrus

Dear xxx,

You might have heard that our friends at Merseytravel are soon set to release Walrus; an exciting new way of paying for public transport that will revolutionise the way that we get about across Merseyside.

Even more great news is that they’d love some One Card Liverpool holders to get involved in the trial between the end of July and September this year, being amongst the first select few to experience Walrus!

To say ‘thank you’ for taking part, you’ll be given free transport throughout the trial period as well as being granted access to rewards designed especially for you across Merseyside...but to qualify you must fit the following criteria:

1. Either you should be a regular user of a bus route operated either by Cumfybus or Avon Travel (please click here to find out who operates your route if you’re not sure).

2. Or you should be a regular user of rail transport across the Merseyside area, making frequent journeys BETWEEN TWO of the following stations:

Liverpool South Parkway
Southport
Liverpool Lime Street (underground)
Liverpool Central
Moorfields
Hamilton Square
Conway Park
James Street
Chester

If either of these sound like you, please let Merseytravel know that you’d like to take part by clicking here to provide your details.

You can let them know up until Monday 25th June but places on the trial panel will be granted on a first-come-first-served basis...so get in quick to avoid disappointment!

Happy travelling!

(Previous thread on Walrus: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52466 )

Unfortunately I live a few hundred miles away..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AntoniC

Thanks for this I have registered as I travel between Southport - Moorfields (and back obviously !) 4 days a week.

I will keep you updated with developments !.

pemma

Veteran Member
Note it says they want One Card Liverpool holders to get involved, so you may not be accepted if you are not one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aren't all the rail stations listed are barriered ones? I wonder if they are trying to test barriers with the new card and whether if you did regular journeys between say, Moorfields and Southport, whether the ticket would be valid during the trial period for a journey between say Freshfield and Southport.

AntoniC

Note it says they want One Card Liverpool holders to get involved, so you may not be accepted if you are not one.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aren't all the rail stations listed are barriered ones? I wonder if they are trying to test barriers with the new card and whether if you did regular journeys between say, Moorfields and Southport, whether the ticket would be valid during the trial period for a journey between say Freshfield and Southport.

Certainly Southport & Moorfields (the two I use) are barriered, but my current annual Trio pass is a paper ticket, so I cant go through the barriers and use the sidegates instead.

34D

Established Member
Certainly Southport & Moorfields (the two I use) are barriered, but my current annual Trio pass is a paper ticket, so I cant go through the barriers and use the sidegates instead.

So these barriers only have smartcard readers and not the possibility to deal with paper tickets?

pemma

Veteran Member
So these barriers only have smartcard readers and not the possibility to deal with paper tickets?

I think AntoniC means a paper ticket on not on rail standard stock can't be used in the barriers because they only currently accept tickets on standard rail stock.

AntoniC

I think AntoniC means a paper ticket on not on rail standard stock can't be used in the barriers because they only currently accept tickets on standard rail stock.

Thats right !

My current paper Merseyrail ticket is of their own design with my picture on it.

People with travelcards with the chip in it (Senior Citizen and Disabled) place them on the card reader and the gates open.

pemma

Veteran Member
Has anyone been selected to be part of the trial?

I'm interested to know how they will work with the barriers at Chester. I'm guessing the ATW staff will do the usual wave through if they see a non-standard ticket type.

Status
Not open for further replies.