• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Want 50044 in blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drimnagh Road

It should never have been painted in two tone green in the first place, therefore I can't believe they have the cheek to ask members to help put it back into an actual authentic livery.

I doubt very much fans / shareholders of it wanted it painted in that livery in the first place, and if they were paying membership fees etc they would have felt pretty hard done by when it was outshopped in green!

4SRKT

Established Member
Were members asked to pay to put into green in the first place? I doubt it. This sort of messing about is really ridiculous and thoughtless.

What about 40145? I don't suppose there's much chance of that being in a sensible livery before 4th September's outing.

Established Member
Were members asked to pay to put into green in the first place? I doubt it. This sort of messing about is really ridiculous and thoughtless.

What about 40145? I don't suppose there's much chance of that being in a sensible livery before 4th September's outing.

Each to thier own gents but to clarify, the C50A did NOT sit down and go "lets charge members to paint it blue" the chance has arisen to have it painted as some work will be done, a few members on WNXX showed intrest in having it blue and thats what as promted this re-paint, if the money isnt raised then it will just recieve full yellow panels

So once again this was an idea and a suggestion by members not the top dogs of the C50A/Fifty Fund

as for 40145 speak to "Chester025" about thats as he knows about that stuff

Chester025

Eh? Ridiculous and thoughtless? If you don't want to part with money don't, but if you would like to support the C50A then donate some wonga.

Possible repaint after the tour to Edinburgh in November.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've viewed my thoughts already on two other forums, but I'll air them here too.

Is D444 due a repaint? If not, isn't this just spending money for the sake of it? When she's due to get some new paint, by all means paint it blue then, but otherwise I'd say said donations would be better used on contributing to the restoration of the other 50s in preservation. 50002, 50029, 50030 and 50050 are all crying out for money to be spent on getting them restored to working order!

4SRKT

Established Member
Eh? Ridiculous and thoughtless? If you don't want to part with money don't, but if you would like to support the C50A then donate some wonga.

Possible repaint after the tour to Edinburgh in November.

Painting things in stupid liveries might seem fun at the time, but anyone doing so should be prepared for the inevitable backlash and pressure to put it back into something authentic, and ensure that their own pockets are deep enough to do it themselves without having to ask others to contribute to something they may well not have approved of in the first place. Fair enough, if it's 100% an individual's own loco, he can paint it pink if he likes, but he shouldn't expect others to like it.

I'm a member of the CFPS, and get slightly annoyed sometimes at the ridiculous way 40145 looks at the moment, but am loathe to suggest that funds that might otherwise eventually see 40135 back on the main line be diverted to repainting it prior to when a repaint is actually needed :(

GearJammer

Can i ask who decided and who paid for 50044 to go green in the first place....... and while were at it, who thought 50035 would look good in LoadHaul as 50135?

Established Member
Can i ask who decided and who paid for 50044 to go green in the first place....... and while were at it, who thought 50035 would look good in LoadHaul as 50135?

Load haul was done for midi who has spent hours and hours working on the 50s, without him the C50A would be lost, a real top bloke
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also the liveries have promoted the fund and kept them in the public eye, 044 and 035 get talked about more than other 50s

4SRKT

Established Member
Load haul was done for midi who has spent hours and hours working on the 50s, without him the C50A would be lost, a real top bloke

Maybe so, but why indulge him the one time he has a truly ridiculous idea? Surely it would be kinder to point out the folly of it?

Also the liveries have promoted the fund and kept them in the public eye, 044 and 035 get talked about more than other 50s

Ah, the old adage that any publicity is good publicity! By this reckoning blowing up a class 50 in public would be a good idea because it would get talked about far more than any other class 50.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Ah, the old adage that any publicity is good publicity! By this reckoning blowing up a class 50 in public would be a good idea because it would get talked about far more than any other class 50.
Well, it would certainly help reduce the excessive quantity of class 50s that are in preservation! :lol: Such an act seems to have worked in keeping the spirit of 46009 alive, many years after it's violent altercation with a nuclear flask...

In all seriousness though, I think that the preservationists and volunteers who put in many, many hours of hard graft restoring and maintaining the UKs' fine preserved loco fleet are quite within their rights to occasionally paint their pride and joy in a less than authentic livery if that is what they want to do. Without those dedicated folks, the locos would not be there for us to enjoy at all!

Quite frankly, the paintwork is there to protect the bodywork from corrosion and thereby keep the loco fit and healthy for future years: I don't mind what livery a loco is in so long as I can see and hear it working and doing what it was designed for.

Nitpicking over whether a livery is authentic and therefore "right" or not, as in the case of the "large logo" 40 or Loadhaul 50, seems to be forgetting the bigger picture and missing the point that at least the loco is there at all.

Whilst i'm not sure that donating for a repaint of 50044 is the best use of supporters' money compared to other more essential projects, anything that raises a bit of public interest in a loco and helps to keep it running is commendable.

trains2064

I think the wo Tone Green looks good on the loco as the loadhaul livery looks good on 50035 but yes I agree that they are none correct liveries for the locos. I wonder if the class 50's get used for Go! co-operatives planned Yeovil to Oxford service weather they will have new liveries or will be given heritage colours instead? How about NSE! lol

Established Member
I wonder if the class 50's get used for Go! co-operatives planned Yeovil to Oxford service weather they will have new liveries or will be given heritage colours instead? How about NSE! lol

They will no doubt be in whatever liveries the owers want them in as they wont be owned by Go!

Mind you where they going to get 8 vacs from for use on the mainline

12CSVT

Established Member
The non-authenic liveries on 50035/044, 40145, 20188 (and various others I can think of) are no worse than the garish liveries which the Keighley & Worth Valley painted some of their steam locos when they first started as a preserved railway. It should be down to the socities/individuals who own the locos to decide the livery - after all they are the ones who have given up large amounts of their time and money restoring and maintaining these locos.

GearJammer

The non-authenic liveries on 50035/044, 40145, 20188 (and various others I can think of) are no worse than the garish liveries which the Keighley & Worth Valley painted some of their steam locos when they first started as a preserved railway. It should be down to the socities/individuals who own the locos to decide the livery - after all they are the ones who have given up large amounts of their time and money restoring and maintaining these locos.

I always thought that the K&WVR painted there locos in non original colours because theres was issues with BR over painting them in there colours?

moggie

Knowing how sensitive some poor souls are with their liveries it always amazed me that not only was it done in 2 tone Green but it was an EE type 4 dressed up like a Brush type 4 - bizzare.

Status
Not open for further replies.