• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Want to be part of a new station adoption group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Over the past few weeks I've been considering this and I would like to put the wheels in motion. I would like to adopt a station but I'd love to adopt it as part of a small group and take it from there. The stations I'm considering are either Gathurst or Pemberton. These are very close to me and the latter is more in need of care than the former. I'm more drawn to Gathurst however I'm absolutely fine either way. We could be ambitious and do two but this depends on how committed we can be.

Here is a link to the local adoption scheme which list all the details of what it entails which is very informative - http://www.tfgm.com/trains/station_adoption.cfm

If you are interested or know people who are, I'd love to hear from you, or if you are yourself an adopter with extra advice for me, I'm all ears.

Best regards,
Gathursty.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

If RailUK wants to adopt both, so be it I will be more than happy to join in the caring. Sounds like a good project.

Count me in.

Established Member
Northern Rail run a scheme whereby one person can adopt a station they run, although there are different levels of adoption. Northern are quite generous in that they will give a free travel pass (one per station), but require you to visit at least once per week to check the station. At the minute I believe they only have 3 vacancies, with many stations having a waiting list. Probably best to get in contact with them to see what they can do.

If you were to form a 'Friends of' group, this takes a lot more effort and will need a few people to help organise.

Gathursty

Established Member
To VTPreston_Tez - Excellent news. I'll wait a week to see if there's any more people who are interested and then we can swap contact details and talk about how much time we have and the next steps forward.

To 142094 - After reading the brochure I linked it, you are right that one person is sufficient but to me, it seemed to give the impression that a group of people would be desirable so that there were more people to lend a hand. Thanks for the waiting list warning. I shall make an enquiry as soon as possible with the scheme and I'll also e-mail Appley Bridge and Hindley's station adopters since they are local and might know people who'd like to join in.

Established Member
To 142094 - After reading the brochure I linked it, you are right that one person is sufficient but to me, it seemed to give the impression that a group of people would be desirable so that there were more people to lend a hand. Thanks for the waiting list warning. I shall make an enquiry as soon as possible with the scheme and I'll also e-mail Appley Bridge and Hindley's station adopters since they are local and might know people who'd like to join in.

The brochure doesn't give many details about the scheme that Northern operate, and I don't think Gathurst or Pemberton stations are vacant (you'd need to check with Northern). You'll need permission from Northern anyway before being able to work on the station, so best to contact them and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.