• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Want to buy a loco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
EWS has the following locomotives for sale (one of each):
The following five locomotives listed below are re-offered for sale due to the buyer's failure to comply with the agreed terms of sale:

TOTON: 37137
AYR: 37217
IMMINGHAM: 37358
BESCOT: 37897
HEALEY MILLS: 47475

The following five locomotives, previously in the 'EWS Heritage Fleet', are offered for sale:

BARROW HILL: 31110
OLD OAK COMMON: 37175, 47004
SEVERN VALLEY RAILWAY: 37906
ST BLAZEY: 47306

Copied from wnxx.com

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
Just had a wild thought....

RailUK Preservation Society. Anyone interested???

1K73

1. 37906 is Ruston.....not Mirlees.

2. Yeah right - a small internet forum against several preserved lines and groups, not mentioning mainline operators? Get real ;)

David

Chris

Maybe we could could make one of these deals where people buy things for £1. A 37 perhaps...could be named "Rail UK Conglomerates"!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Chaps,

The problem isn't buying the loco but what to do with it afterwards.

I'd love someone (other than Booths of Rotherham) to get 31110. Goyles may be ugly, but the surviving Skinheads need to be preserved if only because of their age. Unfortunately, my back garden isn't big enough.

one TN

TheSlash

Established Member
The East Kent railway is certainly interested in getting a BR diesel locomotive, whether it is directly owned by the railway or an private group.
If you guys put together a serious bid and presented it to the EKR board {who i can put you in touch with} then we'd certainly be willing to listen.
Not only do you need the money to buy and transport {more than likely by road} the loco, but you then need money for repairs, restoration, spare parts, rent etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fun...

In the case of 37906, I'm sure the SVR would be happy to let it stay there as it is there now, as long as we could get it up and running again (something EWS wouldn't let them do apparently!), let it earn its keep and stuff. I'd be very happy to pop up to Kidderminster every couple of weeks or something to do some serious work on the beast!

As for RailUK Preservation Group, it would be a cool idea, but it would have to be huge and everyone able to chip in a good bit of money! I daresay EWS want a fairly hefty sum for their locos!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Since us at the ESR have only steam (and we are 1 of only two preserved lines that run steam only, apparently) exeption to our 47365 which is due for restoration and sent back to CR Moreton-in-marsh, we could possibly do with any of those! id love it

Daniel

Established Member
Chris said:
where people buy things for £1.

When a sale is made for £1 when the object is obviously worth more (E.G. the Waterloo & City line bought from Nat. Rail for £1), the price of £1 is a transfer of money to prove decisive ownership. 8)

Basically if its just given, they dont really own it :P

MacRat

Chaz said:
Stick it on the EKR, ELR, GCR or something. :)
It doesn't quite work like that .. believe me! I tried getting a locomotive onto one of these railways for a certain task and it was like pulling hens' teeth. Fortunately work is now well underway and it will be moving to another railway once work is complete.
TheSlash said:
The East Kent railway is certainly interested in getting a BR diesel locomotive, whether it is directly owned by the railway or an private group.
If you guys put together a serious bid and presented it to the EKR board {who i can put you in touch with} then we'd certainly be willing to listen.
Not only do you need the money to buy and transport {more than likely by road} the loco, but you then need money for repairs, restoration, spare parts, rent etc.
Now that's interesting and I've made a note of that ;)
memorex said:
When a sale is made for £1 when the object is obviously worth more (E.G. the Waterloo & City line bought from Nat. Rail for £1), the price of £1 is a transfer of money to prove decisive ownership.
Not quite sure about the last statement - if a company has decided on a transfer of ownership then it is just that, irrespective of costs or transferred amounts.

TheSlash

Established Member
The £1 or 1p idea is that you have brought something rather than had it donated etc. Apparently it can make red tape alot easier etc.
It's like say you had a right old banger of a car, only fit for scrap, if you donated it and he was feeling abit anti, he could strip parts off it and then say he no longer wanted your 'gift' leaving you with a shell to dispose of. Whereas if you sold it to him, then it's completely out of your hands.
Porterbrook were very helpfull to preservation by selling slam door EMUs and DEMUs to preservation societies for £117.50 a coach including VAT

MacRat

It's not necessarily about the amount of money that changes hands (if any) but moreover the piece of paper that indicates ownership. ie.signatures on a contract of sale.

Remember that even EWS can "donate" if it suits them.

TheSlash

Established Member
We've spoken before on another forum where you're identity in relation to preservation is more obvious, am i right?

TheSlash

Established Member
I'd stick with the other forum, this is one is crap, i am bailing out when my private forum lease expires.

MacRat

Fair play .. twas only the four bottles of "Old Peculier" that persuaded me to join ;)

Quite surprised how strong that stuff is - more used to their XB stuff :)

Established Member
TheSlash said:

Are you sure the track will hold up under it???

:p

Tom B

Established Member
memorex said:
When a sale is made for £1 when the object is obviously worth more (E.G. the Waterloo & City line bought from Nat. Rail for £1), the price of £1 is a transfer of money to prove decisive ownership. 8)

Not precisely, as others have said it's much easier than donating it : for example there are certain regulations against donating to a business. If they pay £1 for it, they've bought it and as others have said it saves many times that in paperwork.

Sprog

Established Member
If i had teh spare cash, id certainly take part in saving at least one of the locos, most likley Duff 004! :D

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I'd be happy to put up some cash, not alot, I'm not stinking rich, but hell if its in driving range I'll be happy to visit her and help out.

Established Member
I would be more hands on providing i could get to the loco easily!
Are we going to get in contact with some one and find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.