• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Want to see your photo in the forum banner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As you may have seen the forum has recently had an upgrade. To go with this we feel now is the time to also to update the forum banner. If you would like to see one of your photos in the banner then please send it via a converstion (https://www.railforums.co.uk/conversations/add) with @RailUKPhotos. Attachments can be up to 5mb is size. Photos should be in landscape format preferably but if not then the train must be a small part of the photo. The forum team will then pick the winner(s). If you can submit your entry by the 7th June.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shimbleshanks

Sorry, I don't quite understand the instructions. When you click on the link you get a screen with 'Title', 'Recipients' and 'Message'.
What are you meant to put in the Recipients and Title boxes?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry, I don't quite understand the instructions. When you click on the link you get a screen with 'Title', 'Recipients' and 'Message'.
What are you meant to put in the Recipients and Title boxes?

Recipient is RailUKPhotos . Title and message is whatever you as if you are sending an e-mai

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Can I submit multiple photos? I'm not sure what sort of thing you're looking for (eg. do you want photos of the current scene or are historic photos ok) so I'd like to give you a few if possible.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes you can enter more than one photo

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a reminder for any last minute entries that today is the last day.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A big well done to Flange Squeal for his winning entry of an IET at Dawlish which is now being used in the forum banner :smile: It was great to see so many entries from our users. The staff had a hard time picking a winner.

skyhigh

Established Member
A big well done to Flange Squeal for his winning entry of an IET at Dawlish which is now being used in the forum banner :smile: It was great to see so many entries from our users. The staff had a hard time picking a winner.
Am I missing something? I've still got the Voyager in the banner. Maybe it's a punishment for once saying I didn't mind them :lol:

Iskra

Established Member

Could you share the 'runners up'? If there are any particularly good ones.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's a good shot, but it is a 'going away' one - were there really no good conventional 'approaching' shots submitted? I have no particular issue with 'going away' shots but I'm surprised convention didn't win out here.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's a good shot, but it is a 'going away' one - were there really no good conventional 'approaching' shots submitted? I have no particular issue with 'going away' shots but I'm surprised convention didn't win out here.
What's wrong with a going away shot compared to an approaching one? Both are similar angles generally (in the 'conventional' photo at least) so the only difference I can see is the direction the train's moving but that's not a problem for a photo.

Deepgreen

Established Member
What's wrong with a going away shot compared to an approaching one? Both are similar angles generally (in the 'conventional' photo at least) so the only difference I can see is the direction the train's moving but that's not a problem for a photo.
As I said, there's nothing "wrong" about it, but railway photography convention has approaching as the norm/preferred. Most publications follow this. These days it's more obvious with brighter red/white lights, of course.

xotGD

Established Member
As I said, there's nothing "wrong" about it, but railway photography convention has approaching as the norm/preferred. Most publications follow this. These days it's more obvious with brighter red/white lights, of course.
When you have pushpull sets with the loco on the back then a going away shot is the only option.

As an aside, going away seems to be the favoured angle for photos of canal craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.