• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ware-St Margarets vs. St Margarets-Ware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this rather odd a few days ago when I was travelling between Ware and St Margarets and between St Margarets and Ware.
The fare charged by the ticket machine from St Margarets to Ware (Adult Single) is £1.95. However, by ticket office cashier, Ware to St Margarets (Adult Single) is £2.45! Does the ticket cashier at Ware wish to raise money for a party or something?
Also, in 2006, an Adult single from Ware to St. Margarets was £1.70, now it's gone up! National Express advertised lower fares when they took over GNER and ONE Railway, but they've gone the opposite way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westcoaster

Established Member
might be the differece between a standard day single £2.45, and a cheap day single £1.95, fares go up all the time, just like everything else.

dan_atki

Established Member
Also, although not applying here the CDR from Ware to St Margarets is more expensive than in the opposite direction.

This is a common fluctuation where TOCs charge more for services towards London as they realise these services are used more on the OUT portion of a ticket than those out of London (which in the majority of cases is the RTN portion). Their way of gaining extra revenue because of the difference in demand.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It often also applies at airports as well. They know people coming off planes can be 'chinged' more.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
We are talking about Ware in Herts and St Margarets in Herts aren't we?

If so my Fastis says SDS £1.90 each way! Ware to St Margarets (Herts) CDR £2.50, St Margarets (Herts) to Ware CDR £2.00

A quick check on National Rail also says this.

Status
Not open for further replies.