• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warming Stuff from Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
In what seems a random promotional gesture, the barrier person at Salford Central was handing out Northern Rail branded hand warmers to passengers.

I've had the odd snack or souvenir at a station to promote commercial brands but never something from a TOC. Anyone beat hand warmers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Nice to know Northern have enough spare cash to give passengers hand warmers! :roll:
Pity they dont fix the heating on their trains instead, that way the passengers wouldnt need hand warmers. ;)

snail

Established Member
Doing this is probably cheaper than fixing all the trains to work properly :P
Well I thought that but the easiest way of keeping their trains warm would be to screw shut the windows that some people open in the coldest weather. <D

callum112233

Well I thought that but the easiest way of keeping their trains warm would be to screw shut the windows that some people open in the coldest weather. <D

Try being on a packed 142 with hot air blazing out the floor vents. You would want to crack a window open then, even on a cold day ;)

Crossover

Established Member

Given that nothing else is held together with screws, why would they want to start now ;)

1D53

Established Member
Nice to know Northern have enough spare cash to give passengers hand warmers! :roll:
Pity they dont fix the heating on their trains instead, that way the passengers wouldnt need hand warmers. ;)

Really? When was the last time you were in a Northern train with no heating?

lord rathmore

Seems like a nice gesture to me. If you want to be miserablist about everything a TOC tries, that's your business, but I think a bit of creative thinking in the commercial reality world is a good thing

455driver

Veteran Member

Havent been on a Northern train since October (18th I think) and the heating wasnt brilliant on that (a 156).

callum112233

Seems like a nice gesture to me. If you want to be miserablist about everything a TOC tries, that's your business, but I think a bit of creative thinking in the commercial reality world is a good thing

Oh if it was FCC, East Coast, Southern, FGW or any other TOC for that matter, this lot on here would love it. Since it was Northern doing this, it's automatically a joke to them ;)

Darren R

Established Member

Last Monday - a 158 on a mercifully short journey from Blackburn to Burnley Manchester Road whilst it was snowing (outside!) Never mind hand-warmers; it was a body-warmer I needed, despite several layers of thermals and a thick coat.

But not to worry - the return journey saw the heating working so efficiently I had to remove several layers because it was so hot! Unfortunately that, in my experience, pretty much sums up the state of play with Northern's 158s. It's either one extreme or the other, but very rarely a happy medium.

TheJRB

Established Member
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the same company who produced the hand warmers for the Thameslink "Discover" exhibition the other week. They were giving out those and 345 illustrated phone screen cleaners.

Attachments

• ThameslinkDiscoverFreebies.jpg
    ThameslinkDiscoverFreebies.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 146

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A Toc I once worked for asked me (and my colleagues) to hand out inflatable guitars to customers passing through the station I worked at on the day of a major music festival.

455driver

Veteran Member
156s are notorious for crap heating regardless of TOC unfortunately!

Only ever been on a few 156s and they have all been Northern operated ones!

Edit-
And one EMT one at Nottingham last summer!

Last edited:

1D53

Established Member

Indeed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Last Monday - a 158 on a mercifully short journey from Blackburn to Burnley Manchester Road whilst it was snowing (outside!) Never mind hand-warmers; it was a body-warmer I needed, despite several layers of thermals and a thick coat.

Did you inform the traincrew? Northern have invested heavily in ensuring all the heating is working on all units, traincrew need to report units that aren't working effectively.

Moonshot

Established Member

But not to worry - the return journey saw the heating working so efficiently I had to remove several layers because it was so hot! Unfortunately that, in my experience, pretty much sums up the state of play with Northern's 158s. It's either one extreme or the other, but very rarely a happy medium.

I was actually in Blackburn last Monday, I didnt see any snow.

I also worked a number of Blackpool-Burnley services on the 158 the previous week, absolutely nothing wrong with the air con.....and in fact I had a physical look at the electronics governing this as part of a training exercise. It does exactly what its supposed to.......and as 1D53 points out, if a passenger notifies train crew , we can log it for attention.

I rather think you are complaining for complainings sake .....

1D53

Established Member
and as 1D53 points out, if a passenger notifies train crew , we can log it for attention.

Indeed. Darren ,if you notify me of the unit number I'll arrange for the unit heating system to be inspected.

Carlisle

Established Member
Only ever been on a few 156s and they have all been Northern operated ones!

Edit-
And one EMT one at Nottingham last summer!

Yes and from what I have seen the main difference seems to be that EMT soon got on with doing fairly decent refurbishments on their units ,not spending years patching bits of them up and going on and on about all the problems being down to their "no growth franchise ":p

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember in the good old days before the never-ending recession, there regularly used to be companies handing out freebies and new products at Leeds City station. Now it's only charities wanting money. Sign of the times I suppose :(

1D53

Established Member
Yes and from what I have seen the main difference seems to be that EMT soon got on with doing fairly decent refurbishments on their units ,not spending years patching bits of them up and going on and on about all the problems being down to their "no growth franchise ":p

Yawn... :roll:

Anvil1984

Established Member
Indeed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Did you inform the traincrew? Northern have invested heavily in ensuring all the heating is working on all units, traincrew need to report units that aren't working effectively.

And when we do ""we get warm air blowing. Ok on depot". . The 142 refurb saw heaters removed (the ones in the wheelchair / cycle area and under one of the seats near the door

Moonshot

Established Member
I remember in the good old days before the never-ending recession, there regularly used to be companies handing out freebies and new products at Leeds City station. Now it's only charities wanting money. Sign of the times I suppose :(

I ve had free coffee and kit kats at Piccadilly in the last few weeks

Nym

Established Member

Was someone on High Holborn handing out free galaxy bars by crispy creme the other day, but most of the time in the station it's people begging for money with buckets, I don't even know who the charities are half the time. Does leave me to question just how genuine these are and if TfL / LU / NR etc. audits who is collecting on their stations?

Yes, they where signed in and had visitor passes on display.

snail

Established Member
Yes, there tends to be warm air belting out of the heaters in the centre of the coach meaning the people sat there open the windows and everyone behind them freezes in the draught.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Was someone on High Holborn handing out free galaxy bars by crispy creme the other day, but most of the time in the station it's people begging for money with buckets, I don't even know who the charities are half the time. Does leave me to question just how genuine these are and if TfL / LU / NR etc. audits who is collecting on their stations?

Yes, they where signed in and had visitor passes on display.

I can remember Cadbury's giving out chocolate bars once back in the day. Please come back Cadbury's :D

Darren R

Established Member

For a twenty minute joruney? Of course not! In any case, by the time the guard came around to check tickets we were only ten minutes away from the terminus.

I was actually in Blackburn last Monday, I didnt see any snow.

I also worked a number of Blackpool-Burnley services on the 158 the previous week, absolutely nothing wrong with the air con.....and in fact I had a physical look at the electronics governing this as part of a training exercise. It does exactly what its supposed to.......and as 1D53 points out, if a passenger notifies train crew , we can log it for attention.

I rather think you are complaining for complainings sake .....

Well early morning it was snowing (wet snow, admittedly - but it were proper snow in Darwen when I set off!)

As for "complaining for complaining's sake" - well actually I was not complaining at all. I didn't complain to the guard on the train either - for such a short journey it really wasn't worth kicking up a fuss. I was responding (slightly tongue-in-cheek) to 1D53's question earlier:

I do not complain for complaining's sake, and I take great exception being dismissed in such a high-handed fashion, based on nothing more than a slightly sarcastic reply on a forum. Thankfully, in my experience your attitude does not seem to be the norm amongst Northern train crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.