• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Warning, incoming rant!] Ever feel like you need to get your stuff sorted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all.

Bit of a poorly worded title from myself but I felt like the original title (whatever it was!) would be too depressing to read.

In the last few weeks, I've had some sort of want to get all of my photos sorted and uploaded, same for my videos, back them all up, catalogue everything with titles and descriptions, get my moves books (all-time and yearly) written up into a backed-up digital format and get all of my mileages written up into both paper and digtal formats.

Now anyone who really knows me will know I'm not terribly organised. I will leave my moves books and mileage sheets in storage without updating them for months at a time. Never exactly the best way of doing things, I know, but there we go, such is the fun (sic) of being a disorganised individual. So for me to really want to get everything up to date in a hurry is out of the ordinary activity.

I can't understand it at all myself, it's as if I expect things will come to a sudden termination in the near future.

The point of this thread is to ask the rest of the forum membership whether they've ever felt like this, out of nowhere. This has to be a first for me, normally as I say above I'm happy to leave my stuff in boxes or whatever ("It can be done another day" comes to mind).

Any views at all ladies and gents?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Yes. I sometime have these urges to order stuff; order magasines in date order, archive stuff etc etc.

I never put it off, when I do feel like doing it

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Yea I sometimes think it. I really should put all my Railway Stuff into a list of what I've got. As I've got old books and folders full of info some sectional appendixes and the like, here there and everywhere. And sometimes Im looking for something (Latest example old 1984 HST Diagrams) and I can't bloody find them anywhere, turns out they're in a shoe box under my bed. I need to get everything out onto a table an replace in places where I might remember them and then make a list of what's where.
I don't actually know everything I own rail related so when I finally do the above one day I'll probably find some thing and say "Well, I didn't realise I had this"

:lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Makes me feel an awful lot better! Thanks for the replies gents!

And I know what you mean Scott, my Mum found some old FGW memorabilia I had put in the cupboard a few months ago. "I'd forgotten I'd gotten this!" was said a few times! The coffee cups still sit proudly in my windowsill!

theblackwatch

Established Member
If you think your records are a little out of date, you should try mine! Back in November, I thought I should tackle all my DMU & EMU moves, as I thought I'd not updated them on computer since 1997(!). In reality, I found that my DMU records went to 1995 and EMUs to 1997 - DMUs are now up to date October 97 (plus 2007 done), EMUs still at April 97, and locos to October 06. Still got a bit of catching up to do... ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If you think your records are a little out of date, you should try mine! Back in November, I thought I should tackle all my DMU & EMU moves, as I thought I'd not updated them on computer since 1997(!). In reality, I found that my DMU records went to 1995 and EMUs to 1997 - DMUs are now up to date October 97 (plus 2007 done), EMUs still at April 97, and locos to October 06. Still got a bit of catching up to do... ;)

Ouch, a mission and a half there!

I know the feeling with EMU moves though, I did a couple of days worth today from last spring's FoSS and I couldn't stop thinking "Why the F**K did I bother?", it got dreadfully boring and I nearly tore the pages out of my moves book! Still got the all-time moves book to go through yet...

Still, it is quite satisfying to think how much catching up I've done in the 3 hours this afternoon! Bloody knackering still, but I'm about 100 moves closer to finishing the task!:D

I'll wish you luck with getting your stuff up to date, it's a task that I suspect every basher puts off until it just has to be done!

Established Member
I have not properly updated my loco hauled moves since May 2006, only the total distances travelled. Good job I don't bother keeping lists for karts (units) :!:

On the photo side, I am also well behind - only got as far as August 2005 since going digital. Most stuff after that needs a good session with the delete button and the files re-numbered, at least I already save them in monthly folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.