• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WARNING to Microsoft Internet Explorer users, Operation Aurora has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
there has been a massive secuity leak in all of microsoft's web browsers, on all operating systems, 33 companies including google have been attacked using this exploit. it is highly reccomended that you use a different web browser during this attack

more details:
http://secunia.com/advisories/38209/
http://siblog.mcafee.com/cto/operation-“aurora”-hit-google-others/
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/979352.mspx
http://www.itworld.com/networking/92828/juniper-symantec-investigating-after-google-attack

please note that it is highly important that you at least change your web browser during this time, because these hackers can access all of your data, change all your settings (even password), even format your hard drive, destroying your data.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LMS6202

I wonder if this has anything to do with why IE8 keeps crashing. Ever since I had Vista and now W7 the damn thing keeps going AWOL.. I now have Chrome.. As an aside windows explorer also keeps packing up. Very annoying when you are working with files.

Swiss Toni

It would appear to have been targeted at major companies, however Internet Explorer will always be the most vulnerable browser simply because it's the most used.
Firefox in my opinion is the best browser.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Sorry to be thick, but am i ok by simply downloading/installing Firefox internet and using that, instead of internet explorer?

Will simply having internet explorer present on my system still present a secuirty risk? If so, how do i remove it?- usual method to remove it, compared to other programs?

Thanks

Lampshade

Established Member
Simply having Internet Explorer installed won't do anything, in fact Windows 7 users can disable it completely :)

Download Firefox, it's far superior to IE6/7/8 and a lot safer as well.

Dai.

Established Member
Makes me giggle, this exploit has been here for ages and no ones worried about it, it's not until the Chinese use it to their advantage that people start worrying.

The people being targeted were people who promote free speech, the exploit is probably extremely hard to find and no one would bother targeting anyone else with it. it'd be just a waste of time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
People should read the Microsoft link. You are vulnerable if you visit a dodgy website using IE. So, obviously if you do not use IE, and/or if you do not visit the dodgy websites, you will be OK.

I'd recommend using Firefox anyway! So those of you considering making the switch, now is as good a time as any.

So far only IE6 has been affected, surely no-one here is still using IE6??!! (Actually I think some are...! Mojo will have the stats somewhere...)

But, in general, you're best using Firefox, and even better use Firefox on a Linux based OS such as Ubuntu.

Old Timer

Established Member
So far only IE6 has been affected, surely no-one here is still using IE6??!!.
My Company will not move from IE6 which is a ridiculous position to adopt. Had to use IE7 when abroad and when I came back, it was removed and IE6 restored. :roll::roll::roll:

The trials and tribulations of large Companies who have IT professionals supporting them. In my experience IT profesionals actually damage the ability of Companies to operate. One had a policy that only THEY could procure IT equipment and software, and install it. But they would refuse to then support the software, so we were actually paying full price for software they would not support, when we could have bought much cheaper.

What was worse was that these were IT Policies and they operated rigidly to these even when it was quite clearly damaging the Company's interests.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The difficulty that we, as users, are stuck with, is that we just don't know what changes to our computer use will make any difference. It all depends on exactly where the vulnerabilities are within the enitre complex which includes the operating system, browser and other services.

It could be (and I'm only speculating) that by using another browser wouldn't help at all!
The browser is just one combination of internet and graphic modules which are available to us users. But if we used another browser, there are still dozens of other services and applications running which use very many of these modules; such as the automatic update feature in some apps, the "browser-like" features in media players, the negotiation with internet interfaces which your anti-virus software uses, the email clients you use, the firewall which the operating system's networking uses, the networking sockets which even just using a local network depends on, etc.
Its not helpful of microsoft just to list the combinations of their own OSes and browsers which are vulnerable.
Even some third part word processors will use some of the OS's in-built internet-based funtions to render HTML in a document.

MS really should admit to which SERVICES and PROGRAM MODULES are vulnerable. This would then help the suppliers of other applications to warn us if their application is compromised as a consequence of Microsoft's vulnerability.

In short - lets not assume that using a browser other than IE with one of the vulnerable MS OSes is safe.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
IE7 and 8 are also affected.
OK, I'll re-phrase it, so far only IE6 has been exploited.

But I stand by my earlier advice to use Firefox or, even better, Firefox on Linux.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ it's easy to install and free.

(and yes even SimSig and Avantix Traveller will work if you install Wine!)

ukrob

Established Member
OK, I'll re-phrase it, so far only IE6 has been exploited.

But I stand by my earlier advice to use Firefox or, even better, Firefox on Linux.

Which of course does not mean it is easy to use if you are used to a lifetime of Windows, or easy to get ever so slightly non standard hardware to work without arsing about with it.

Point just proven about its ease of use - you have even said in order to get one program working you need to install another.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Which of course does not mean it is easy to use if you are used to a lifetime of Windows, or easy to get ever so slightly non standard hardware to work without arsing about with it.
Most hardware simply works straight away on Ubuntu. Windows is actually harder to get hardware to work with as you are often forced to search for drivers yourself.
Point just proven about its ease of use - you have even said in order to get one program working you need to install another.
No, in order to get most Windows programs to work you need to install Wine, and that has nothing to do with "ease of use"

People who are not very good with computers often seem to find Ubuntu easier to use than Windows in my experience.

But this topic is about security, and you have no case there.

devon_metro

Established Member
Personally I can't stand Linux, most things are built with Windows in mind so using such a non standard bit if kit is instantly a pain.

I rather suspect Microsoft has lost their browser Market share, what with the german gov advising people to use other browsers!!!

ukrob

Established Member
Most hardware simply works straight away on Ubuntu. Windows is actually harder to get hardware to work with as you are often forced to search for drivers yourself.

Yes, most, I didn't say otherwise. I have never once had to go searching for a driver for Windows for any of my hardware. Do either of my USB tuners work under any common variants of Linux? USB dongles? No chance. Plug them into a Windows PC and the drivers either automatically install or download. It might be the manufactures fault - but it doesn't change the fact they work under Windows but not Linux.

No, in order to get most Windows programs to work you need to install Wine, and that has nothing to do with "ease of use"

It has everything to do with ease of use. 99% of users install a program and expect it to work. They don't give a crap what the operating system is.

People who are not very good with computers often seem to find Ubuntu easier to use than Windows in my experience.

But I was specifically talking about people who have used Windows all their life, so that is a null point.

But this topic is about security, and you have no case there.

I have over 15 years experience of Windows PCs on the Internet and not a single item of malware, virus or attack. Users are plain stupid if they regularly get a virus or attack etc.

@Yorkie &ukrob I'd rather not have a flame war which I think is starting, plus not all of us want to change operating system just because their web bowser has been exploited

plus even though only IE6 has been affected the same security hole has been discovered on all of the internet explorer versions, except IE5 sp4 on windows 2000 sp4

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know people who have used Windows for many years, but like someone who has driven a car for many years, that doesn't mean they know how it actually works or how to fix it when it goes wrong.

Death

Established Member
Hail again! <D
Just recently, my Firefox has started guzzling memory and takes an age to load. Anyone else, or any solutions?
Mine's doing pretty much the same, but I'd put that down to the fact that I keep forgetting to update my Firefox installation...I'm still running 3.0.1 here! :shock:
The only plugins I've got installed are the Java quick-start (Which came with Firefox IIRC) and NoScript 1.9.9.35, if that's similar to what ye've got. :)

So far only IE6 has been affected, surely no-one here is still using IE6??!! (Actually I think some are...! Mojo will have the stats somewhere...)

OK, I'll re-phrase it, so far only IE6 has been exploited...
For the benefit of everyone on the forum, I'd better point out that Windows Explorer and IE are - IIRC - Pretty much exactly the same program in two different guises...Meaning that if the vulnerability exists in IE, chances are it exists in Windows Explorer as well. :!:

The reason I point this out is because I'm still using XP SP2 here (As many others are still using) and that's IE6 based...So if ye have IE 5/6 installed (Whether ye use it or not) thy Windows Explorer could also be vulnerable to the same hack. :shock:

Thankfully, I use a no-privs restricted user account on my machine, using an administrator's account only for offline maintenance...So thankfully, my Windows box is still clean as far as I can tell! :)

That reminds me, I've got a Fedora installation to get going with... 8)
(Well, I will do when I get around to it...But I want to sort out my very scrambled backups collection before I switch OS! :))

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Geezertronic

Established Member
The trials and tribulations of large Companies who have IT professionals supporting them. In my experience IT profesionals actually damage the ability of Companies to operate. One had a policy that only THEY could procure IT equipment and software, and install it. But they would refuse to then support the software, so we were actually paying full price for software they would not support, when we could have bought much cheaper.

What was worse was that these were IT Policies and they operated rigidly to these even when it was quite clearly damaging the Company's interests.

We're not all that bad :D

Most large companies actually outsource sections of their IT to external providers (with the staff transferred over). They have just done this with the PC Support department at my current company which means you have to provide a cost code if you want any work carried out on your device :|

Status
Not open for further replies.