• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Bank Quay problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, have been reading on National Rail that the London-Glasgow services are being diverted vía Manchester. Just curious as to how they're doing that - are the Pendolinos being hauled through to Preston or are they just terminating at Manchester to chuck people onto TPE? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

That seems to make sense, thanks. The NR website doesn't always give all the information in the first instance like this, was probably there but I'm on a mobile with a super slow connection!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Trains seem to be getting through now.
A BHM-GLC went from Crewe to Wigan avoiding WBQ somehow, via Atherton perhaps.

pemma

Veteran Member
It may have been a Voyager.

Most Birmingham-Scotland services are Voyagers. I think LNW-GW Joint was puzzled as to exactly what route the train took to get between Crewe and Wigan without calling at Warrington Bank Quay.

chris89

Established Member
Currently on the 12:37 from wolvo to edinburgh. No remarks about being diverted have been announced and nat rail said apparntly cleared by 12:30 but if i do get delayed/ diverted will mention

stockport1

Hi, have been reading on National Rail that the London-Glasgow services are being diverted vía Manchester. Just curious as to how they're doing that - are the Pendolinos being hauled through to Preston or are they just terminating at Manchester to chuck people onto TPE? Thanks

just guessing but i would imagine voyagers to do mcr picc/oxford rd (not stopping)/bolton?

no idea what route pendos would take. i would imagine a similar route as above would mean havoc at picc with attaching a loco.

anyone got more details? :)

Nym

Established Member
They normally already have the locomotive attached when they get to Piccadilly, either doing it at Stockport or usually Crewe.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Via Styal and Eccles is usually the one if Wigan calls are being retained.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
57s tend to be attached at Crewe on account that not many will run via Stockport. It is then detached at Preston.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Most Birmingham-Scotland services are Voyagers. I think LNW-GW Joint was puzzled as to exactly what route the train took to get between Crewe and Wigan without calling at Warrington Bank Quay.

Indeed I was. The impression I got from NRES was that the Chat Moss line was affected by the Warrington PSB problems (ATW stuck at Manchester), so the route via Golborne might have been out of action.
Hence it would need to run via Atherton or Bolton to reach Wigan.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They normally already have the locomotive attached when they get to Piccadilly, either doing it at Stockport or usually Crewe.

Not practical to attach at Manchester Piccadilly due to the intense service running through the two through platforms. All trains have to be in and out ASAP to avoid delays. When through trains ran from NW to Birmingham direction via Manchester and which were Diesel Hauled, traincrew relief took place at Stockport for this reason even if they had to travel out and back on cushions.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Indeed I was. The impression I got from NRES was that the Chat Moss line was affected by the Warrington PSB problems (ATW stuck at Manchester), so the route via Golborne might have been out of action.
Hence it would need to run via Atherton or Bolton to reach Wigan.

The Chat Moss was affected for over an hour around Earlestown, so it may have affected the Newton-le-Willows area too.

I thought the Virgin services were not stopping between Crewe and Preston (i.e. not Warrington or Wigan).

Status
Not open for further replies.