• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Bank Quay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Hi guys,
Has anyone ever been to Warrington Bank Quay station? If so, is it any good - what sort of traction do you get, and how often? I have heard it is a busy freight area, with a freight depot across the road, is this true? Anyway, please let me know, as I may go in the May holidays in a few weeks.
Any other good location suggestions would be good too...! :D

Cheers,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
Went there once, about a year ago...it was worth visiting, plenty of pacers, voyagers and 66's, even a 92 (and just missed a pair of 20's). Also, there is a yard right next to the station (although a lot of the older stored stock has been cleared out recently). Warrington Bank Quay remains on my 'must visit again list'; not the busiest place but worth a few hours.

The Snap

Established Member
Dennis said:
Went there once, about a year ago...it was worth visiting, plenty of pacers, voyagers and 66's, even a 92 (and just missed a pair of 20's). Also, there is a yard right next to the station (although a lot of the older stored stock has been cleared out recently). Warrington Bank Quay remains on my 'must visit again list'; not the busiest place but worth a few hours.

Sounds great. My Dad's freind is also a train enthusiast, and he said that you can go into the yard accross from the station - I'll have to look into that! :)

Cheers Dennis!

Dennis

Established Member
Rich said:
Sounds great. My Dad's freind is also a train enthusiast, and he said that you can go into the yard accross from the station - I'll have to look into that! :)

Cheers Mike!

You can indeed 'go into the yard' if you ignore the 'Private, no tresspassing' type signs and just go through (or over the gate), but this is obviously not something that should be done (anywhere) unless you can get permission.

I seem to recall there are also some more sidings about 1/2 mile south of WBQ, a little way off the main running line - don't know if these are accessible or if there is much of interest to see there.

The Snap

Established Member
Dennis said:
Do I detect a meet coming up?

Right, I've spoke to my Dad's friend, and he says that the depot is actually not open to the public. But, it is easily accessed through an underpass under a road, and a perimeter fence around the depot can easily be seen through for photos. Apparently, there are photters there all the time.

I hope to be going in the May holidays (from Sat 27th May to Sun 4th June). Obviously a weekday is best for freight movements, so I propose Tuesday 30th May (this isn't a definite date, but it will be sometime in the week mentioned). If you’re up for this meet, I will speak to you on MSN, and we can decide on things before arranging it and posting in the meets section. ;)

EDIT:

Apparently, there are lots of meets happeneing in the half term, so we'd be pushed to find a date that people weren't going anywhere.
Damon, you are going on one of these meets anyway!

We could arrnage a later date in the holiday, such as the 1st or 2nd of June?

Status
Not open for further replies.