• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Central - Hull services circa 1993/94

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeijingDave

Could anyone please possibly help to settle a dispute?

I am arguing with a mate and I am sure that when we used to go away to the rugby in Hull we would catch a direct train from Warrington Central in the early-mid 90s. He reckons we always changed trains. Is there any way I can find out who is correct? (apart from ordering a timetable for that year off ebay)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnny Lewis

I am arguing with a mate and I am sure that when we used to go away to the rugby in Hull we would catch a direct train from Warrington Central in the early-mid 90s. He reckons we always changed trains. Is there any way I can find out who is correct? (apart from ordering a timetable for that year off ebay)
For one year, May 1986 to May 1987, loco-hauled trains ran hourly from Liverpool Lime Street to Sheffield, some of which extended to either Hull via Goole, Cleethorpes and once daily to Great Yarmouth. In May 1987, all the Hull services were cut, along with all but one Cleethorpes service. This was in preparation for the new Liverpool / Blackpool North - Norwich / Ipswich services from May 1988. So for one year, from May 1986, there WERE direct services between Warrington Central and Hull.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

**Makes mental note to dig out May 1993 timetable and have a look**

Jorge Da Silva

Established Member
For one year, May 1986 to May 1987, loco-hauled trains ran hourly from Liverpool Lime Street to Sheffield, some of which extended to either Hull via Goole, Cleethorpes and once daily to Great Yarmouth. In May 1987, all the Hull services were cut, along with all but one Cleethorpes service. This was in preparation for the new Liverpool / Blackpool North - Norwich / Ipswich services from May 1988. So for one year, from May 1986, there WERE direct services between Warrington Central and Hull.

How long did Blackpool to Ipswich last? Liverpool to Cleethorpes did not last long then.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
**Makes mental note to dig out May 1993 timetable and have a look**

Looking at May 1993 timetable, even by then the current hourly Piccadilly-Hull service was establish - no through working at all beyond Piccadilly that I can see.

The hourly TPE path from Liverpool via Warrington roughly alternated between Newcastle and Middlesbrough, each served every 2 hours.

As May 1993 saw a timetable recast in conjunction with Manchester Airport opening, service patterns may have been different prior to this.

Johnny Lewis

Looking at May 1993 timetable, even by then the current hourly Piccadilly-Hull service was establish - no through working at all beyond Piccadilly that I can see.

The hourly TPE path from Liverpool via Warrington roughly alternated between Newcastle and Middlesbrough, each served every 2 hours.

As May 1993 saw a timetable recast in conjunction with Manchester Airport opening, service patterns may have been different prior to this.
The Manchester Piccadilly to Hull via Huddersfield / Leeds services were completely separate from the Liverpool / Manchester to Hull via Sheffield / Doncaster services.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Manchester Piccadilly to Hull via Huddersfield / Leeds services were completely separate from the Liverpool / Manchester to Hull via Sheffield / Doncaster services.

In May 93 there were no such latter services. The other hourly fast service via Warrington was the hourly East Anglia path roughly as we know it today (albeit serving Cambridge rather than Norwich in some hours)

The other Manchester-Sheffield fast each hour was an hourly Piccadilly-Cleethorpes (later extended to the Airport)

Ianigsy

Around that time there would also have been direct services from Bank Quay to Hull (originating at Bangor).

BeijingDave

Thanks for the considered replies. It seems I'm wrong and I supposed we probably would have changed at Leeds, though I can't remember it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Around that time there would also have been direct services from Bank Quay to Hull (originating at Bangor).

Not as late as 93. Fairly sure North Wales was standardised into Llandudno-Oxford Road by then.

Ianigsy

I was thinking around 1987 or thereabouts when Class 150/2s took over from 45s on the Bangor-Hull workings. Used to go and see them at Chester after playing rugby on a Saturday lunchtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.