• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington Central line Sunday Sevice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I chanced upon the timetable for Liverpool-Manchester via Warrington Central and it struck me that on Sundays, the following stations are not served:

Merseytravel
Edge Hill

TfGM
Trafford Park
Humphrey Park
Chassen Road
Flixton
Glazebrook

Can anyone explain why one list is longer than the other?

PS: Let's ignore Sankey for Penketh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I chanced upon the timetable for Liverpool-Manchester via Warrington Central and it struck me that on Sundays, the following stations are not served:

Merseytravel
Edge Hill

TfGM
Trafford Park
Humphrey Park
Chassen Road
Flixton
Glazebrook

Can anyone explain why one list is longer than the other?

PS: Let's ignore Sankey for Penketh.

The TfGM stations are the ones that get the fewest offpeak services too. This might suggest that, other than commuter traffic, there's not much doing there - which matches my limited experience!
The present skip stop timetable on weekdays IIRC was introduced to eliminate the layover at Central and allow an increase in frequency (including the original Airport service).

Established Member
The TfGM stations are the ones that get the fewest offpeak services too. This might suggest that, other than commuter traffic, there's not much doing there - which matches my limited experience!
The present skip stop timetable on weekdays IIRC was introduced to eliminate the layover at Central and allow an increase in frequency (including the original Airport service).
As someone who lives on that line-that is indeed the case

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The other issue is generally that there are a lot of stations in Greater Manchester which still receive no Sunday service. Even fairly urban ones, including on the lines via Reddish North and Hyde Central. The Atherton line and Stockport - Altrincham also had no Sunday service until a few years ago. I've always thought it's crazy that Flixton has no Sunday service. It has almost 100,000 passengers a year, unlike tiny Humphrey Park which just manages 30,000.

I don't know why we're ignoring Sankey or indeed Padgate though? After Edge Hill they are the stations with the best case for Sunday service where there is currently none.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
It has always struck me somewhat as one of those urban lines that hasn't caught up with the 21St Century with the Sunday service being a good example.

Gathursty

Established Member
I don't know why we're ignoring Sankey or indeed Padgate though? After Edge Hill they are the stations with the best case for Sunday service where there is currently none.

Thank you for remembering Padgate!!
Both are not included as I wanted to explore the difference in TfGM and Merseytravel served stations. Sankey and Padgate are in the middle so I omitted them. However, if you wish to discuss these, feel free.

notlob.divad

Established Member
The other issue is generally that there are a lot of stations in Greater Manchester which still receive no Sunday service. Even fairly urban ones, including on the lines via Reddish North and Hyde Central. The Atherton line and Stockport - Altrincham also had no Sunday service until a few years ago. I've always thought it's crazy that Flixton has no Sunday service. It has almost 100,000 passengers a year, unlike tiny Humphrey Park which just manages 30,000.

Edge Hill gets a Sunday service on the Chat Moss line so I suppose the argument if you really had to get too/from there by train is you would go into Lime Street and back out again.

Bold statement coming up that will probably annoy a lot of the people involved in track work and the like:

In my opinion the idea of a Sunday service in the modern world is a bit alien and I don't see it lasting much longer. The country is becoming a 24/7 economy with more and more people working/shopping etc on a Sunday and fewer and fewer people treating it as a special day, either because they are not religious or they follow a religion that recognizes a different day of the week as special.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank you for remembering Padgate!!
Both are not included as I wanted to explore the difference in TfGM and Merseytravel served stations. Sankey and Padgate are in the middle so I omitted them. However, if you wish to discuss these, feel free.

Is the difference down to the funding arrangements. I don't know the exact arrangements with how the PTEs contribute to the services in their geographical area, but if Merseytravel are willing to subsidize the service to a higher proportion than TfGM are could that account for the difference in the stops served on a particular service?

Last edited:

Ianigsy

At one point in the late 1980s Padgate used to merit an additional stop on an evening peak Sheffield-Liverpool Trans-Pennine.

Looking at the Network Warrington website, Sankey and Padgate are both served by at least hourly buses into Warrington town centre during Sunday daytimes, so presumably those are sufficient for the residents' needs.

I wonder if the Edge Hill situation is as much down to only having to open up one pair of platforms if the Chat Moss side is the only one with a service?

Similarly, I wonder whether the opening of the Trafford Centre has led to improvements in the bus network in south-western Greater Manchester so that it's just easier to get around by bus in that area? Or that if you want to go out shopping or to the pictures, it's easier to go to somewhere on your doorstep than into central Manchester?

Chapeltom

Established Member

Presumably because neither is a Merseytravel or TGFM station.

Bevan Price

Established Member
At one point in the late 1980s Padgate used to merit an additional stop on an evening peak Sheffield-Liverpool Trans-Pennine.

Looking at the Network Warrington website, Sankey and Padgate are both served by at least hourly buses into Warrington town centre during Sunday daytimes, so presumably those are sufficient for the residents' needs.

I wonder if the Edge Hill situation is as much down to only having to open up one pair of platforms if the Chat Moss side is the only one with a service?

Similarly, I wonder whether the opening of the Trafford Centre has led to improvements in the bus network in south-western Greater Manchester so that it's just easier to get around by bus in that area? Or that if you want to go out shopping or to the pictures, it's easier to go to somewhere on your doorstep than into central Manchester?

Edge Hill is closed on Sundays, although I think they have sometimes omitted to close the doors after the last train on Saturday. No trains are booked to stop there.

Much of the local housing was flattened 20+ years ago and few local businesses are open, so there is probably little need for a Sunday service here.

I think that what is open dependends on whether or not the local transport authority is willing to pay....

notlob.divad

Established Member
Edge Hill is closed on Sundays, although I think they have sometimes omitted to close the doors after the last train on Saturday. No trains are booked to stop there.

Sorry, that's my bad. I thought it did have a service but just checked and I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.