• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington - Fort William

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sankey Wire

Hi all. This is my first post on here, having been a long-time reader! This week I will be making a multi-modal trip up to Scotland, utilising the Caledonian Sleeper for the first time. I would welcome any tips and suggestions, particularly on where to get a decent pint!

Thursday

Thursday will start with a trip from Warrington to Northwich and back, a scenic route which has recently started to see double deckers after a long absence. I'll then potter about and enjoy a few pints in Warrington Market's excellent Real Ale Shack, before heading over to Bank Quay for the 1720 Pendolino to Euston. This will be my first experience of First Class (weekends don't count!) so I am looking forward to seeing what the complimentary offering entails.

A trip to the Bree Louise for a pint (why can't they put a proper head on ale down south?!) before boarding the Highlander, with Fort William the destination of choice. The general advice seems to be board early, so as to guarantee a seat in the lounge car. I have a first class ticket, but would like to try the food so hopefully I get a table.

Friday

This is the part of the trip which excites me most - enjoying breakfast with the dramatic scenery before me. After braving the showers at Fort William (I imagine that they are not particularly pleasant) I want to visit Inverlochy Castle, weather permitting! City Link's 914 service will then take me to my resting place for the night - the Tyndrum Inn.

Saturday

I plan to get a train from Tyndrum upper or lower early on, to allow a few hours in Glasgow to try out the Clockwork Orange, before boarding the Pendolino back to Warrington, no doubt tired and a few quid lighter!

I hope that this has made for a somewhat interesting read and look forward to your comments.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
The general advice seems to be board early, so as to guarantee a seat in the lounge car. I have a first class ticket, but would like to try the food so hopefully I get a table.

Given you hold a first class ticket, and if it was that busy, then I assume this from their website would apply?

Access to our Lounge Car is restricted to First Class guests during busy periods.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've used the showers at Fort Bill a couple of times and they are reasonably well kept. Much better so than the Euston ones.

Make sure you book the Citylink in advance - they can and do get full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

telstarbox

Established Member
If you're ok with Wetherspoons, the Counting House in Glasgow city centre is a lovely building and has the usual wide selection of beers.

You should be able to get an ale (complimentary) on the Virgin Trains service too.

Have you tried the Euston Tap as well?

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That'll be a nice trip. Is it your first time up that way? It sounds like you've been there before.

Gonzoiku

Given you hold a first class ticket, and if it was that busy, then I assume this from their website would apply?
To judge from a friend's experience on the down Highlander ten days ago, if you want to eat in the lounge car without having to wait for an hour and a half, book your table in advance. Yes, even if you have a first class ticket.

GZ

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Sankey Wire

Thanks for your comments.

I have only heard good things about the Euston Tap, so will try and nip in!

Cowley, I have been to Glasgow before, but only on business so out of the station and straight into a taxi! I planned the trip with some help from a colleague, who is a proud Scotsman.

Track Basher, as far as I can tell, the works are on Sunday?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To get a decent head on your pint, avoid the Bree Louise! Euston Tap is good (expensive though, and can be busy); alternatively the Royal George on Eversholt Street is usually decent, as is the Crown and Anchor not far from the Bree Louise.

The Tyndrum Inn also does a cracking pint.

Status
Not open for further replies.