• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington to Feniton Off Peak Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

piccadilly

If I book a ticket from Warrington to Feniton in Devon The train times are as follows:-

12.39 to 14.05 Warrington to Birmingham
14.17 to 16.40 Birmingham to Exeter
17.25 to 17.47 Exeter to Feniton

I buy an off peak ticket - but will be boarding the Feniton train at peak I.e. 17.25.

Is this allowed?

Also (say) if the Birmingham train is cancelled - can I get on the next train even if that is peak?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

piccadilly

Thank you for the prompt reply.

The ticket is called an OFF PEAK RETURN but this is in the small print:-

You’ve selected the 12:39, but you can travel on any eligible off-peak train.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The WBQ - FNT Off Peak Return is priced by CrossCountry and predictably has a 2V validity code. This means any train at or after 0930 can be taken, provided you don't travel via London, for which a slightly cheaper but more heavily restricted Off Peak Return exists.

However, there may well be a cheaper way of making your journey, if you're willing to explore alternative options. The time and date of your return journey would be helpful for that.

MarlowDonkey

You’ve selected the 12:39, but you can travel on any eligible off-peak train.

With the sometimes exception of journeys via London Terminals and not always then, "eligible off-peak train" would be determined by the first train of an itinerary after the morning peak and not subsequent ones.

piccadilly

The WBQ - FNT Off Peak Return is priced by CrossCountry and predictably has a 2V validity code. This means any train at or after 0930 can be taken, provided you don't travel via London, for which a slightly cheaper but more heavily restricted Off Peak Return exists.

However, there may well be a cheaper way of making your journey, if you're willing to explore alternative options. The time and date of your return journey would be helpful for that.

I should be interested in the cheaper way.I have used Thetrainline.com for the information.

I find you replies very helpful.

The date is 3rd May - any time will be ok.

Kind Regards

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I buy an off peak ticket - but will be boarding the Feniton train at peak I.e. 17.25.

Is this allowed?.
Barred ('Peak') times for that fare are defined as trains departing 0430 to 0929.

There is no evening peak restrictions whatsoever and it would be unlawful for CrossCountry to introduce an evening peak on that fare, under fares regulation.

piccadilly

Thank you.

With a senior railcard I am quoted £89.45 for the 12.39 train - open return within a month.

But if I miss it - and catch the 13.39 train is this ok?

Thetrainline quote £89.45 for the 13.39 train ,but if the quite was say £90.45 can I still catch it?

Or is 12.39 printed on the ticket? and that is my only option?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Thank you.

With a senior railcard I am quoted £89.45 for the 12.39 train - open return within a month.

But if I miss it - and catch the 13.39 train is this ok?

Thetrainline quote £89.45 for the 13.39 train ,but if the quite was say £90.45 can I still catch it?

Or is 12.39 printed on the ticket? and that is my only option?

As explained earlier this is an Off Peak ticket. It is valid on any train after 0930 regardless of whether or not you have seat reservations.

The extra pound on the quote looks like a booking fee. Do not book with Trainline; book with a train operating company's website instead, as they're not allowed to charge booking fees. The Trainline is literally always more expensive!

piccadilly

Alter ego

Thank you - this is comforting news.

I have to catch the bus to the rail station- and although I plan to be there in plenty if time.The bus is often unreliable - so as long as I have the option of a later train then this is good.

I last did a long distance train journey about 17 years ago! - from Warrington to London but was told by the station staff it had to be that particular time and date.

I don't suppose I could use the ticket after 9.30 on the following day i.e. the 4th of May - or is this pushing it too far?

The reason for my concern is that my widowed mother is ill - and if she takes a turn for the worst ,when I am due to return home ,then I may have to delay my journey.

Thank you for your help - sometimes I get mixed answers from the station staff.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The Off Peak ticket would incur a £10 admin fee to refund or alter. That includes the date.

However, this type of ticket will never sell out, and can be purchased from the ticket office immediately before departure at the same price. You can turn up and buy it once you know you're definitely travelling.

piccadilly

Thank You.

I thought as much.

The presume the replacement ticket will be more expensive as it is same day?

tspaul26

Established Member
Thank You.

I thought as much.

The presume the replacement ticket will be more expensive as it is same day?

The Off-peak Return from Warrington to Feniton priced at £89.45 (with Senior Railcard) can be purchased on the day of travel for the same price as purchasing in advance.

If you intend to buy this ticket come what may, but are not yet sure which day you will be travelling out from Warrington, then it is possible to buy the ticket once your plans are confirmed.

Even if bought on the day of travel, the price will be the same - you just won't have pre-reserved seats. Then again, if the bus is late and you catch the next train then you wouldn't have reserved seats anyway.

piccadilly

Thanks - I have learned a lot over the last few days using this forum.

The reserved seat factor does not bother me ( as long as I have a seat!)

piccadilly

One last question.

I'm happy to pay the £89 for the ticket - or can anybody suggest a cheaper way?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
One last question.

I'm happy to pay the £89 for the ticket - or can anybody suggest a cheaper way?

That depends on if you want to fix the dates of your return and possibly pay a penalty if you need to change. Advances are cheaper, but you lose flexibility.

Have a look at Trainsplit.com for possible fares on your dates/times.

piccadilly

Thank you.

I have just been onto the site and been quoted £72.13 flexible - or £67.90 fixed time.

I cannot pretend to understand what this means yet- but I will read the small print .

I have learned not to take timetables,conditions etc for granted!

I will report back if I have some queries (which I no doubt will!)

Thanks again.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Advance tickets are not refundable, and are only valid at the fixed times that you select when you book.

If you want to change the day or time of travel, you pay a £10 admin fee (plus any difference in fares, where applicable), and you'd have to do this before the first train is due to depart.

For a saving of less than £5 it's not worth the loss of flexibility.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Flexible 'walk-up' fares can, almost always, be bought on the day of travel, yes.

In general Advance fares, as the name suggests, can't be.

(However there are a small number of exceptions to this)

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Booking the day before should allow for seat reservations to be made - if the trains you are using are reservable.

piccadilly

I have been looking at other journeys on Train split.

If bought on the day of travel - do you buy the ticket with Train split, via the internet, and then collect at the station?

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Yes - allow time for the booking to tumble through to the station ticket machine - about 15 minutes. You'll need the card used to make the booking.

I do like to get the ticket in my hand before I go, or make sure I'm collecting from a station with a staffed office and plenty of time on the day, just in case of issues.

piccadilly

Thank you.

The ticket machine worries me somewhat - but I have never used one so I am sure they work ok?

Presumably the station staff will help?

If it doesn't tumble through presumably you are stuck?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thank you.

The ticket machine worries me somewhat - but I have never used one so I am sure they work ok?

I've travelled at least three times a week for the last four years, including from Warrington, and never had a problem with collecting an order. Problems do happen, but they are rare.

Yes.

Nope, double check you've entered the right booking reference. If there's still a problem, show your booking reference to the ticket office. They should help you.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

You probably won't get any help from station staff if you book tickets for collection at a station ticket machine, unless it is out of order.

If you are unfamiliar with ticket machines and the fares system, and unsure about the date of travel, I would recommend you buy the off-peak £89.45 ticket at the station booking office on the day.
It will be exactly the same ticket/price as you would buy online.
You can travel on any train after 0930, in either direction, on any operator, and can break your journey wherever you like.
You can also ask them to reserve (free) seats if you have decided on your trains.
If you miss those trains there is no penalty, you just lose the seat allocation.

I don't know exactly how trainsplit got its quoted reduced fare, but it will result in 3-4 separate off-peak return tickets between intermediate stations.
This is OK if you know what you are doing, but it adds complexity.
You will also pay them a fee for getting a split fare.

Last edited:

piccadilly

Thank you - yes I think it is safer to buy in the day.

It was just that Train split quote was £20 cheaper - don't know how Train Split do it ,or what they get out if it.

Kind Regards

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thank you - yes I think it is safer to buy in the day.

It was just that Train split quote was £20 cheaper - don't know how Train Split do it ,or what they get out if it.

Kind Regards
TrainSplit saves you money by restricting your journey to specific times, routes or train companies, and finding the cheapest possible combination of tickets to make a through journey. They take 10% of the amount saved (so in this case that'd be £2 or so).

Status
Not open for further replies.