• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Warrington West??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I found myself at Salford Crescent yesterday with 10 minutes to wait. I had a nosey at the stattion map sign which had the new Northern Railway branding. I noticed that Apperley Bridge was there and in the same area saw greyed stations for Low Moor, Kirkstall Forge and further down Ilkeston/Ilkston (typo on the very bottom of the poster!!!)

I also saw near Wigan a greyed Warrington West which I have never heard of discussed on RailForums before.
Is Warrington West going to be open by Spring 2017?
Where in Warrington is it going to be precisely?
Isn't Sankey for Penketh enough?
How will this line cope with so many stations on the line??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarkRedon

Planning permission already granted - October 2015 story:

http://m.thisischeshire.co.uk/news/...y_station_and_temporary_town_centre_car_park/

BLUEPRINTS to build the 'transformational' Warrington West railway station were approved by planning chiefs last night, Thursday.

A Wikipedia entry [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_West_railway_station] suggests it to be a proposed railway station on the existing southern Liverpool to Manchester Line route between Sankey and Warrington. It is to serve the Omega Development Site and Chapelford urban village housing estate in Great Sankey, Warrington. There are planned to be a bus interchange and a large car-park.

bluenoxid

Established Member
No Warrington West will not be opening by Spring 2017. Plans have been approved by the local council and I assume they are waiting for the DfT to announce the opening date for applications for round 2 of the New Stations Fund. If they are successful, it could be open during 2019 based on the round 1 bids.

Interestingly, I don't think it was in any bid documents. Ashington was but it has not been mentioned.

Last edited:

MarkRedon

No Warrington West will not be opening by Spring 2017. Plans have been approved by the local council and I assume they are waiting for the DfT to announce the opening date for applications for round 2 of the New Stations Fund. If they are successful, it could be open during 2019 based on the round 1 bids.

Interestingly, I don't think it was in any bid documents.
So the plans exist but the funding is not yet in place.

There is a mention in the DfT response (February 2015) to stakeholder concerns around the Northern and TransPennine Express franchises, which is perhaps why it has appeared putatively on the network map.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Thanks for this clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.