• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wartime Bomb causing Disruption at Exeter 27 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
I’m not sure what the layout used to be like at Yeovil, however now there is no connection between the heritage side and mainline side at the country end of the station, only London end. From Pen Mill you can access either the Up Exeter, the Down Exeter and either Down Siding 1 or 2. There is not enough standing room for a 9 or 10 car IET to clear the points behind the unit.
Just looked at it on Google maps - you're right, the links gone. No idea when that happened.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Wasn't there once a UK 'War Damage Commission' to which claims had to be notified?
There was - my grandfather made a claim for damage to the family home in Blackheath. The damage could have been a lot worse in his case - he came home from work (at the Royal Arsenal) one evening just in time to put out a fire in the roof caused by an incendiary.

The rest of the family were not at home, as they were spending the war years with relatives in Devon, although as yesterday's events show, even there they were not completely safe.

I was working as a poll clerk on the day they discovered that (Kingston University) bomb. Two polling stations had to be relocated.
I remember that - I seem to recall some mediation was needed between the conflicting security requirements of a head teacher who wanted to evacuate the school to our church, and the polling clerk who wanted to use the same church as an emergency polling station.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Reported to be a “Sprengbombe Cylindrisch 1000” high explosive Weapon, overall weight in excess of 1000kg (2200lb) of which up to 620kg is the high explosive material; typically Amatol and TNT in a 6:4 mix.

cheers - that is a largeish bomb for the Germans! Assume this came from one of the Baedeker raids

mpthomson

The bomb has been there nearly eighty years, so there comes a point where its condition is such that it is probably better to plan on carrying out a controlled explosion. According to The Guardian, the protective wall was built by the Navy, but they have handed over to the Army, who will carry out the explosion. Was it a case of both eagerly competing to do the work, or was it one of, “No, no. We insist that you have the privilege of doing this one.”

Probably more about who had the manpower available quickly to do the work, and particularly with respect to what would be needed from an EOD point of view. There's a Navy EOD team based at HMNB Devonport so likely to be overseen by them initially.

And presumably also directs the bulk of the force upwards, although it will spread out.

There are vehicles that can carry explosive devices, although I am not sure if they are designed for such powerful ones, but it is getting the device in the container that is the problem. If it should go off while it is being moved it will seriously interfere with the retirement plans of anyone who has to be in the vicinity; there is a limit to what robots can do. It can also become an uncontained air-burst, which is far more damaging.
There isn't anything currently available that would take the force of anywhere close to a 500lb bomb detonating, never mind a 2000lb bomb, that could be used to transport it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The bomb has been there nearly eighty years, so there comes a point where its condition is such that it is probably better to plan on carrying out a controlled explosion. According to The Guardian, the protective wall was built by the Navy, but they have handed over to the Army, who will carry out the explosion. Was it a case of both eagerly competing to do the work, or was it one of, “No, no. We insist that you have the privilege of doing this one.”

Probably more about who had the manpower available quickly to do the work, and particularly with respect to what would be needed from an EOD point of view. There's a Navy EOD team based at HMNB Devonport so likely to be overseen by them initially.

I met a couple of former RN Mine Clearance Divers through the GF's diving and they were interesting blokes! I also had the opportunity to visit the RAF bomb disposal headquarters when i was a cadet which was interesting. Their green suit weighs a fair bit!

There is a proper demarcation point between what is a RN responsibility and what is an Army responsibility for removal or ordinance but I cant recall what it is. However I suspect they will be dispatched to any incident if they are the closest available man power. You don't really want to be hanging around with the clock literally ticking!

TheEdge

Established Member
cheers - that is a largeish bomb for the Germans! Assume this came from one of the Baedeker raids

I think Exeter was only ever bombed as part of the original Baedeker Raids, unlike most of the other Baedeker targets which suffered small raids for the length of the war.

BayPaul

Established Member
Am I the only one who saw in the BBC report that residents were staying overnight with friends and family and felt jealous of the residents of Exeter!

greatvoyager

Established Member
Am I the only one who saw in the BBC report that residents were staying overnight with friends and family and felt jealous of the residents of Exeter!
Don’t be too jealous, it was chaos here. Lots of people didn’t have that option and some didn’t find out until 1am where they would be staying.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see the local rag doesn’t want to offend anyone, referring to it as a “suspected WW2 device”. o_O

Because obviously there’s been loads of other aerial bombing raids in the Exeter area over the last 80 years...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, but the Cornish press reported it as "Wide areas of Exeter splattered with jam and cream after discovery of unexploded scone"

But they were definitely wrong...

infobleep

Veteran Member
There was - my grandfather made a claim for damage to the family home in Blackheath. The damage could have been a lot worse in his case - he came home from work (at the Royal Arsenal) one evening just in time to put out a fire in the roof caused by an incendiary.

The rest of the family were not at home, as they were spending the war years with relatives in Devon, although as yesterday's events show, even there they were not completely safe.

I remember that - I seem to recall some mediation was needed between the conflicting security requirements of a head teacher who wanted to evacuate the school to our church, and the polling clerk who wanted to use the same church as an emergency polling station.
I think it would be the returning officer who makes the final decision on polling stations on the advice of Electoral Services staff. Obviously with a special needs school nearby, if that was the one your referring to, it doesn't make the decisions easy.

Don’t be too jealous, it was chaos here. Lots of people didn’t have that option and some didn’t find out until 1am where they would be staying.
But it wasn't in rest centres as those weren't needed - according to the reports.

Of course people did get to use one of the lesser used covid-19 reasons you can leave your home!

I do appricate people would rather have not had to leave

BayPaul

Established Member
But they were definitely wrong...
Wouldn't Devon be scattered with Jam and Cream, on the assumption that the product on top goes further? What those strange folk the other side of the Tamar decide to do is hardly relevant

Status
Not open for further replies.