• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was caught for fare evasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunta

Hi all, I am a 19 year old university student who was caught by inspectors coming out of a train station for not having paid the initial fare as I came in. I'm sure you've all heard it before.

I did this because I wanted to save time due to being late for a job I recently got, and because of how expensive fares could be when added up. I'm from a low-income family and so I am highly conscientious of the daily fee.

I panicked on the spot when I was caught and tried to make excuses and such, for example feigning that I actually paid, and they referred it to Transport for London (TfL) who have just sent me a letter which has been attached.

Since then I have planned to purchase a travelcard monthly, since my new job for the summer has inspired me to be more disciplined and manage my money well. In that case I look at fare avoidance as a blight on my character that I simply want to blot out at this point. I'm just concerned that TfL won't care, and they will most certainly refer me to court for a prosecution even if I admit my guilt, show my regret, and offer to be as forthcoming as possible. They seem to be the most cold-hearted of the lot.

I have contacted a solicitors and their receptionist has referred me to one for a consultation. I am now waiting, but can't shake off this incident in my mind, and so I am constantly worried. Would any of you have any good advice for me that would reassure? I am more than happy to admit guilt and pay a fine. I just don't want a criminal record.

Thank you so much

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Transport for London (TfL) who have just sent me a letter which has been attached.

...Would any of you have any good advice for me that would reassure? I am more than happy to admit guilt and pay a fine. I just don't want a criminal record.
Welcome to the forum.

Did you intend to attach a redacted copy of the letter?

Assuming that TfL have only the proof of this one incident, they will likely cosider prosecuting for the Byelaw offence of not having a valid ticket (not the precise wording, but it will do). If you are found guilty (which you will be) you will be fined by the court, but it is a "non-recordable" offence and in any case will be "spent" after a year.
An enhanced DBS check may show it, but even that is pretty unlikely to affect your future career, whatever that is (I have just been reading my voluntary organisation's policy document, and it is quite clear on that).

So, although TfL say they will prosecute, it is not the end of the world. Recent reports suggest that they may now be open to settling out of court, which will cost money (not a "fine") but be an end to it.

At this stage, based on what you have said, I am not sure that it is worth contacting a solicitor. I would certainly contact your student welfare people though.

Dunta

Welcome to the forum.

Did you intend to attach a redacted copy of the letter?

Assuming that TfL have only the proof of this one incident, they will likely cosider prosecuting for the Byelaw offence of not having a valid ticket (not the precise wording, but it will do). If you are found guilty (which you will be) you will be fined by the court, but it is a "non-recordable" offence and in any case will be "spent" after a year.
An enhanced DBS check may show it, but even that is pretty unlikely to affect your future career, whatever that is (I have just been reading my voluntary organisation's policy document, and it is quite clear on that).

So, although TfL say they will prosecute, it is not the end of the world. Recent reports suggest that they may now be open to settling out of court, which will cost money (not a "fine") but be an end to it.

At this stage, based on what you have said, I am not sure that it is worth contacting a solicitor. I would certainly contact your student welfare people though.
I did but I think the size is too large, I've linked it here: (https://postimg.cc/7GLgP9CX) hopefully the letter appears now. I hope it provides you with a lot more information and clarifies things. I also thank you for the information you've given, I certainly considered that I'd receive the Byelaw offence and be fined, after which a year it would be gone. But I simply wasn't sure at the time. This is of no concern to me, since I won't be working or needing a DBS for anything after this summer for a full year.

I am very hopeful that this case will be settled now that you have said this, and the reassurance is slowly coming in after about two hours of panic. I hope it's alright that I have still gone ahead with contacting the solicitor. I just want to be 100% sure.

Veteran Member
I did but I think the size is too large, I've linked it here: (https://postimg.cc/7GLgP9CX) hopefully the letter appears now.
It does, but naturally doesn't give too many clues.
I am very hopeful that this case will be settled now that you have said this,
You should realistically expect to be prosecuted under the Byelaws as there are no obvious mitigations.
I hope it's alright that I have still gone ahead with contacting the solicitor. I just want to be 100% sure.
No harm, but unless you are desperate to avoid a minor conviction, it may not be cost-effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.