• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was I sold the right ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
this afternoon I wanted to travel from Stratford to Chelmsford and back to Liverpool St. There was a queue at Stratford ticket office and I was running late so I brought a super off peak day return from Stratford to Chelmsford from a ticket machine for £13.50. When I got to Chelmsford the ticket office was quiet so I told them what ticket I had and that I wanted to go back to Liverpool St. I was sold a single from Maryland to Liverpool St for £4.60 as that was cheaper than a single from Stratford to Liverpool St.

Later when looking at ticket prices I see that a super off peak from Liverpool st to Chelmsford is £16.80.

Should I have been charged the difference between the two tickets rather the price of a single ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
this afternoon I wanted to travel from Stratford to Chelmsford and back to Liverpool St. There was a queue at Stratford ticket office and I was running late so I brought a super off peak day return from Stratford to Chelmsford from a ticket machine for £13.50. When I got to Chelmsford the ticket office was quiet so I told them what ticket I had and that I wanted to go back to Liverpool St. I was sold a single from Maryland to Liverpool St for £4.60 as that was cheaper than a single from Stratford to Liverpool St.

Later when looking at ticket prices I see that a super off peak from Liverpool st to Chelmsford is £16.80.

Should I have been charged the difference between the two tickets rather the price of a single ticket?
That would have been the cheaper fare, but it's not clear whether they had an obligation to sell you an 'overdistance excess', as it would have been.

I would contact Greater Anglia's customer services and ask them to reimburse the difference. They may do so as a matter of goodwill or customer service.

robbeech

Established Member
As far as I see they’re not obliged to issue that excess. A reasonable member of staff with a good attitude and the knowledge to perform that action would do, but sadly not all of them possess both of those.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I ordered a ticket online today using my phone. Within two minutes of getting the collection code, I collected the tickets at a London Underground station.
In your situation, I would have booked the Liverpool Street to Chelmsford ticket, collected it at Stratford and started my journey short

Status
Not open for further replies.