Was Iver station ever in zone 6?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Mag_seven, 16 Aug 2017.

1. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

I'm convinced that once upon a time Iver station was in zone 6 (the last station on the GWML in zone 6 is currently West Drayton). Did I just imagine this?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Forum Staff Staff Member Administrator

When do you think it was in Zone 6? I think the latter is more likely!

4. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Don't think so - it's way out!

5. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

I was commuting in on this line (and occasionally the line from Amersham) when the Oyster system was introduced. Iver has never been within the zones since at least 2001. I'd be surprised if it had been before then too.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2017
  6. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

You can use a zone 1-6 travelcard to get as far as Slough on a TfL bus, is this what you were thinking of?

7. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

About 10 - 15 years ago i planned a "one day travel card bash" and I remember specifically working out how long I would have to wait for a train back at Iver. In the event the bash never happened but the other day while standing at a tube station I looked at the London Connections Zones map and I was surprised to see that in my view "Iver was no longer in Zone 6".

Must have just misread the zone map at the time!

8. t0ffeeman

t0ffeeman Member

Certainly not after 1992. The last travelcard change before that was when Kingston and Uxbridge were moved out to the "new" Zone 6, from Zone 5 which was the limit before. Google that and see what you get. If so Iver would've been in Zone 5

9. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Iver is in Buckinghamshire, not Greater London and as far as I'm aware, it has never been in the travelcard zones

10. adrock1976

adrock1976 Established Member

I would like to mention that although in Buckinghamshire, the northern end of the Metropolitan Line of the London Underground is part of the Travelcard zones.

Strangely enough, Shepperton and Staines are/were in Middlesex, but like Iver are not part of the Travelcard zones.

11. t0ffeeman

t0ffeeman Member

Your in Bucks about 200 yards from Uxbridge

12. Envy123

Envy123 Member

The London Connections Zones Map?

I remember seeing it once in Arnos Grove. It was an incredibly misleading map, saying that stations like Iver and Potters Bar are in Zone 6, when they're not.

13. Tetchytyke

Tetchytyke Established Member

Only because of Oyster. Zone 6 finishes at Moor Park. Before Oyster stations beyond Moor Park were not in Travelcard zones; the map said "special fares apply" apart from for a year or two when they brought in zones A-D.

http://www.clarksbury.com/cdl/maps/tube98.jpg

http://www.clarksbury.com/cdl/maps/tube99.jpg

Last edited: 19 Aug 2017
  14. AnonymousUser1

AnonymousUser1 Member

there are variouos parts of the 'London Transport' network and thereofere under the influence of TfL with regard to buses , tube and heavy rail that have never been under the LCC/ GLC or other similar bodies .

15. Hornet

Hornet Member

Never zone 6. County boundary is the River Colne which runs parallel to the West Drayton Colnbrook (Staines West) branch. The 81 bus to Slough is a TfL route. None of the bus routes through Iver were or are TfL routes. BTW Iver Station is actually in Richings Park, not Iver.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@51.504452,-0.5100486,15.25z?hl=en

Last edited: 19 Aug 2017
  16. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Zone maps used to show the first station outside the zones in a different colour, which is probably where the confusion arises.

17. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Travelcards from Zones A-D were available from before Oyster came in. They came in in the late nineties, whilst the first Oyster cards were issued in 2002.

18. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Agreed, zones A-D existed for many years.

I think when the lettered zones were first introduced (mid/late 90s) there were only zones A-C, and later zone D was carved out of zone C (a bit like how there only used to be zones 1-5, then in the early 90s zone 6 was created at the behest of NSE and took stations previously in zone 5).

19. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

That seems a reasonable explanation.

I think this (useful) mapping feature vanished when Oyster PAYG was expanded to include the National Rail network - given there are a few stations that accept PAYG 'beyond the zones' (e.g. Watford Jn, Gatwick etc), I guess the danger was that showing other stations beyond the limits of PAYG validity might confuse punters.

20. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Established Member

Not since 1965. Shepperton and Staines have been in Surrey since then.