• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was the line between Berkswell and Tile Hill 4 tracked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

I remember reading a thread about someone asking if Chiltern Main Line was 4 tracked after seeing some signs of it. Next day I commuted on that line and indeed I did see some signs of it.

Now, I changed my commute and I think I'm seeing some missing rails at Berkswell station and some space where I'm assuming is a trackbed where 2 more tracks was placed at Tile Hill.

I think it was 4 tracked from Birmingham International to Coventry? I think I must be imagining things because it wasn't easy to spot unlike Chiltern Main line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MK Tom

Established Member
Berkswell was the junction for a line to Kennilworth. Might've been something to do with that you were seeing.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I dont think it was ever four tracks. There was a loop in the Birmingham direction on the Birmingham side of Tile Hill station. At Berkswell there was a junction with a line that went to Kenilworth

Andyjs247

To the east of Berkswell station you can see the junction for the former line which used to run to Kenilworth. Essentially the Birmingham to Coventry route has only ever been double track (save for the final approaches to New Street). I believe that quad tracking has been looked at, along with other alternatives to HS2; the extra capacity will no doubt be needed sooner or later. It wouldn't be particularly cheap however - one obstacle being Beechwood Tunnel between Berkswell and Tile Hill.

On the other hand the Chiltern main line, ie the former GW route via Solihull, was quad tracked all the way from Moor Street as far as Lapworth. South of Tyseley has been double track for as long as I can remember. It's been a while since I've been that way but IIRC the wider formation is mostly intact. Should reinstatement of the quad track be required, one structure that would need replacing though is the M42 overbridge.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Never four tracked. But the LMS (or possibly the LNWR) did gain powers to quadruple the line, however they were never used.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It has only ever been considered to 4 track Stechford to Beechword if it is ever done. Last cost estimate was £1 billion+

It's been a while since I've been that way but IIRC the wider formation is mostly intact. Should reinstatement of the quad track be required, one structure that would need replacing though is the M42 overbridge.

The formation is still there but the stations have used it as car parks. The M42 bridge wouldn't need replacing, the abutments have a spare section on the northern side for a extended deck for the third and fourth tracks.

Rugd1022

A small section of the Tyseley - Lapworth quadruple track is still in situ and in use at Dorridge with the outer face of the island platform being the former Up Relief line. The old Down Relief is now a goods loop and the remains of the Up and Down Relief lines south of the station are just sidings now, although they are of little use since there are trees growing in the four foot!

The Planner

Veteran Member
The lines to the south are getting ripped out whenever they get round to putting the 775m loop in at Dorridge.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It has only ever been considered to 4 track Stechford to Beechword if it is ever done. Last cost estimate was £1 billion+

The formation is still there but the stations have used it as car parks. The M42 bridge wouldn't need replacing, the abutments have a spare section on the northern side for a extended deck for the third and fourth tracks.

You can see that very well in the aerial shot on Google Earth /Maps of Widney Manor station just north of the M42 crossing (good HA future proofing by the way) where they actually use the old relief line bridge for car park access.

TSR :D

Thanks.

I don't really think it would be profitable to quadruple the line if HS2 is given a go ahead to be built.

To the east of Berkswell station, there's a road called Kenilworth Green Way Project (weird name?) which goes directly into Kenilworth to join with Coventry-Leamington line. I'd probably guess this is where old tracks laid on.

Status
Not open for further replies.