• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was the Sleaford avoiding line ever closed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

My "Disconnected" book (Chris Austin & Richard Faulkner - 2015) states the Sleaford avoiding line was closed, implying it was done in 1982 (along with the closure of the Lincoln avoiding line and the March to Spalding line). But the Railway Magazine (Jun 2015) says is was only singled "in the early 80s", before being redoubled to 2014.
Which is true ?

I was going to add this to a closed previous thread on the Sleaford Avoiding Line, does anyone know why threads of historical interest are ever closed ?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's very possible that both were true; "closed" perhaps meant closed to passengers?

It's certainly true that it was singled and later redoubled as I remember when diverted East Coast Mainline trains had to go via Sleaford station in one direction.

There is no regular passenger service on the line today; from a passenger perspective it's just a diversionary route.

Gloster

Established Member
Wasn’t the northbound line closed for quite a few years, with trains running via Sleaford, but the southbound line remained open? This is how it appears on the Quail 2006 map.

A formal closure notice was issued together with the Lincoln avoider and March - Spalding. One of the avoiding lines was kept for freight.

TheBigD

Established Member
In the book Lincolnshire's Lost Railways it also states that the Sleaford avoiding line was due to close at the same time as the March-Spalding. Ive never read or heard it elsewhere though.

The northbound avoiding line fell into disuse in the late 1980's (I think) after minor repairs were required to the bridge near Sleaford police station. As there was no booked traffic the northbound line was taken out of use (but remained in situ) but the southbound line continued to see occasional use.

The northbound Sleaford avoiding line was bought back in to use with the GNGE upgrade around 2013, and is also now bidirectional

PeterY

Established Member
One line line that I've yet to travel over (bash) .

TheBigD

Established Member
One line line that I've yet to travel over (bash) .

I've not checked for this year but the last few years during November weekend ECML services have been diverted via it.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I've not checked for this year but the last few years during November weekend ECML services have been diverted via it.

Indeed, and the first train over the re-opened down line was the 07.30 Kings Cross - Edinburfh, dragged by 67003, on 28-2-15. I was there!

Edited when I found my note - later than suggested..

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
I think the last "regular" passenger trains to have used the Sleaford avoiding line may have been the Summer Saturday services from Skegness to Leeds & Sheffield; I think these finished in the late 1980s, or very early 1990s.

High Dyke

Established Member
I think the last "regular" passenger trains to have used the Sleaford avoiding line may have been the Summer Saturday services from Skegness to Leeds & Sheffield; I think these finished in the late 1980s, or very early 1990s.
Anything going to/from Skegness would've needed to travel round through Sleaford station and not over the avoider as there's no direct connection where the two lines intersect.

Do look on youtube at the March-Spalding video showing the final weeks. The closure notice at March is shown clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.