• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was this trying to 'start late' on an Advance ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
He's not 'removing revenue'. He's 'generating revenue' by purchasing the product. He's paid them. They've got the money now.
But less than they would have gotten if he had a the right contract for what he did (travel from Exeter) and someone else had a Penzance to Exeter ticket.
No. Loss of chance, which this would be called, is not recoverable in the law of tort, therefore any such claim would not be succesful. There is no way to prove this would actually have happened, therefore there is no claim to be satisfied.
Sorry, when I used the word compensation I was not referring to a claim for damages through the courts. Just money to cover the potential loss which is what excessing to a walk-up fare would do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goatboy

Established Member
But less than they would have gotten if he had a the right contract for what he did (travel from Exeter) and someone else had a Penzance to Exeter ticket.

But without a time machine how could that scenario ever have existed? If he'd have known he wsa likely to board at Exeter when he bought his ticket he'd have bought it from Exeter and saved a bit of money on the price into the deal. The fact he didn't indicates he had every intention when purchasing to board at Newton Abbot.

Sorry, when I used the word compensation I was not referring to a claim for damages through the courts. Just money to cover the potential loss which is what excessing to a walk-up fare would do.

If a court would throw it out what legal basis would they have to demand compensation? The XS to a walk-on fare would pay for an entire family to travel from Penzance to Exeter! It's only 20 quid or something for a walk-on single from Penzance to Exeter and the Advance fares are trivially cheap.

Essentially what I'm saying is that people doing this make so little difference to anything it's not worth the hassle of having a draconian rule against it. It's better for passengers not to have it, its better for staff not to have it (its totally unfair to put staff in the position whereby they get into a conflict over a rule like this only to then have the stance they took undermined) and it's better for the image of the industry as a whole not to have it.

Contrast this to people buying an Advance and using it on the wrong train - people doing this *are* a problem because it counters the entire yield management point of Advance tickets. Therefore its entirely appropriate people doing such a thing are penalised.

Ferret

Established Member
It does indeed exist, and I will endeavour to find the reference.

The Advance Fares FAQs make specific reference to exercising discretion and common sense in any case.

So; why have the conflicting condition regarding ending the journey early and starting at a later point in that case?! If it is not to be enforced, then remove it! Or, alternatively, leave it in and leave yourself open to some rather justified ridicule. Come on ATOC, we know you read this forum - how about having an outbreak of common sense and remove the offending condition, especially seeing as both East Coast and Great Western have made it abundantly clear that they will not support staff who do uphold the rule.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So; why have the conflicting condition regarding ending the journey early and starting at a later point in that case?! If it is not to be enforced, then remove it! Or, alternatively, leave it in and leave yourself open to some rather justified ridicule. Come on ATOC, we know you read this forum - how about having an outbreak of common sense and remove the offending condition, especially seeing as both East Coast and Great Western have made it abundantly clear that they will not support staff who do uphold the rule.

Again, "ATOC" are being blamed for things.

They're the whipping boys of this forum. I'm no massive fan of ATOC, but everyone knows they are simply there to exert the collective will of their member TOCs.

It is the TOCs collectively who deserve any criticism.

Zoe

Established Member
But without a time machine how could that scenario ever have existed? If he'd have known he wsa likely to board at Exeter when he bought his ticket he'd have bought it from Exeter and saved a bit of money on the price into the deal. The fact he didn't indicates he had every intention when purchasing to board at Newton Abbot.
I don't doubt that the intention was to travel from Newton Abbot but that is what he had a contract for and as soon as he paid for the ticket, that was one seat less for a Penzance to Exeter journey. He joined at Exeter and so left an empty seat between Newton Abbot and Exeter that FGW could have sold to someone for a Penzance to Exeter journey.

If a court would throw it out what legal basis would they have to demand compensation?
As I said above, I'm not talking about a legal claim for compensation. As I said above, I'm not talking about a legal claim for compensation. Only that it isn't completely unreasonable that FGW be compensated for the potential loss.

Last edited:

Ferret

Established Member
No, ATOC are firmly in line for criticism *as well as* the individual TOCs in this case. Any organisation who leaves themself wide open to criticism and ridicule should not be surprised when it receives just that. I mean, how can anybody begin to justify the status quo as we have it here?

Goatboy

Established Member
I don't doubt that the intention was to travel from Newton Abbot but that is what he had a contract for and as soon as he paid for the ticket, that was one seat less for a Penzance to Exeter journey. He joined at Exeter and so left an empty seat between Newton Abbot and Exeter that FGW could have sold to someone for a Penzance to Exeter journey.

But this is nothing more than a theory. They couldn't sell a Penzance to Exeter in that seat because they'd already sold a Newton Abbot to Paddington. Thats pretty much that. What happens after doesn't really change anything.

What about if he no-showed entirely? Should they chase him for an Excess for not travelling? They could have sold a Penzance to Paddington...

As I said above, I'm not talking about a legal claim for compensation. Only that it isn't completely unreasonable that FGW be compensated for the potential loss.

It's a totally unquantifiable potential loss. Are Advance tickets even that popular on that route - the ones that are will be the very cheap ones - so little loss at all - because the others are simply too close in price to the flexible CDS anyway.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, ATOC are firmly in line for criticism *as well as* the individual TOCs in this case. Any organisation who leaves themself wide open to criticism and ridicule should not be surprised when it receives just that. I mean, how can anybody begin to justify the status quo as we have it here?

The job of ATOC is not to have an opinion of its own, but to do whatever its members tell it to. You cannot well criticise them for the implementation of a policy when it is their sole remit to implement whatever policies they're told to by their members.

Ferret

Established Member
The job of ATOC is not to have an opinion of its own, but to do whatever its members tell it to. You cannot well criticise them for the implementation of a policy when it is their sole remit to implement whatever policies they're told to by their members.

They've been quick enough to issue this directive/advice though haven't they? I'm sorry, but you cannot issue advice to members that conflicts with existing policy and not expect criticism and ridicule. I can't help but feel you are getting into the realms of defending the indefensible.

Zoe

Established Member
It's a totally unquantifiable potential loss. Are Advance tickets even that popular on that route - the ones that are will be the very cheap ones - so little loss at all - because the others are simply too close in price to the flexible CDS anyway.
If you book an advance ticket but then decide not to travel, you are still taking away a seat that someone else could have had and the lack of a refund compensates for this. You still can't prove that someone actually would have booked the seat and that there would have been a loss in revenue had you been given a refund but I don't see anyone complaining about the lack of refunds with advance tickets.

Goatboy

Established Member
If you book an advance ticket but then decide not to travel, you are still taking away a seat that someone else could have had and the lack of a refund compensates for this.

But it does't compensate the TOC in the way you are advocating should happen for somebody who doesn't travel for part of the route?

If he had decided to drive instead they still wouldn't have sold that Penzance to Newton Abbot advance. Yet they would receive no more money than the £x he paid for the ticket.

I don't see anyone complaining about the lack of refunds with advance tickets.

Presumably because the majority of people consider it to be a reasonable condition.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
They've been quick enough to issue this directive/advice though haven't they? I'm sorry, but you cannot issue advice to members that conflicts with existing policy and not expect criticism and ridicule. I can't help but feel you are getting into the realms of defending the indefensible.

So why do you think they a) set the conditions in the first place, and b) issued a directive suggesting TOCs should exercise discretion?

That's right - input from their members.

Criticising ATOC for fulfilling the will of their members is akin to slating front line staff for carrying out their superiors' orders.

ATOC do not dictate what the TOCs do - it is quite the opposite. They are a trade association and you seem to be unaware of their remit.

I am not a fan of ATOC but if one must get frustrated it's important to direct that frustration in the right place.

Zoe

Established Member
But it does't compensate the TOC in the way you are advocating should happen for somebody who doesn't travel for part of the route?
It does compensate for the part of the route that someone else could have booked on.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If he had decided to drive instead they still wouldn't have sold that Penzance to Newton Abbot advance. Yet they would receive no more money than the £x he paid for the ticket.
And that's why you can't get a refund with an advance ticket.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is relevant, his contract was for travel from Newton Abbot to Paddington and by doing that he's potentially removing the revenue from a journey from Cornwall. He went against the contract and boarded at Exeter. Isn't it only fair that FGW get some compensation for the potential loss in revenue that would not have occurred if his contract had been from Exeter?
I don't understand this at all.

The fact is, Newton Abbot was usually more convenient for him, he had a problem with his car and was offered a lift. It was more convenient for the lift to go to Exeter. Big deal!

What we need is...
It does indeed exist, and I will endeavour to find the reference.

The Advance Fares FAQs make specific reference to exercising discretion and common sense in any case.
...ah yes, that's it, common sense.

Most of us are able to apply common sense. Fortunately.

Common sense does include not binding people to rules that are unenforceable and, if enforced, create a PR disaster, and cannot be considered 'reasonable' and could also be open to legal challenge, and put staff in positions of conflict unnecessarily.

If anyone was to put "I will enforce rules rigidly, I will not apply common sense, rules are rules, and I will not follow any guidelines that conflict with a strict interpretation of the rules" on their CV, then they won't be getting a decent job. They can say they're right, and they're entitled to their opinion, but in the real world, well....

Goatboy

Established Member
It does compensate for the part of the route that someone else could have booked on.

How?

Scenario A: Pays £30 for NA to Padd ticket. Boards at Exeter.
Scenario B: Pays £30 for NA to Padd ticket. Drives car.

In both scenarios the TOC receives £30 and cannot sell a Penzance to NA ticket in that seat.

Yet in Scenario A you feel additional compensation should be rightfully due, but not in Scenario B.

Why?

And that's why you can't get a refund with an advance ticket.

And you can't get a refund of the difference between the NA to Padd and the Exeter to Padd ticket if you buy the former but board at Exeter. Happy days then ;)

Zoe

Established Member
How?

Scenario A: Pays £30 for NA to Padd ticket. Boards at Exeter.
Scenario B: Pays £30 for NA to Padd ticket. Drives car.

In both scenarios the TOC receives £30 and cannot sell a Penzance to NA ticket in that seat.

Yet in Scenario A you feel additional compensation should be rightfully due, but not in Scenario B.
In Scenario A he is not getting any travel. In scenario B he has broken the contract but still expects travel.

Ferret

Established Member
So why do you think they a) set the conditions in the first place, and b) issued a directive suggesting TOCs should exercise discretion?

That's right - input from their members.

Criticising ATOC for fulfilling the will of their members is akin to slating front line staff for carrying out their superiors' orders.

ATOC do not dictate what the TOCs do - it is quite the opposite. They are a trade association and you seem to be unaware of their remit.

I am not a fan of ATOC but if one must get frustrated it's important to direct that frustration in the right place.

Are you seriously suggesting that they just blindly follow input without noticing that they were leaving themselves open to ridicule?! Effectively you're saying that they act like lemmings and just do what they are told! Come off it, you can't seriously be suggesting that's the case.

Goatboy

Established Member
In Scenario A he is not getting any travel. In scenario B he has broken the contract but still expects travel.

That doesn't really answer my question. Him not getting travel doesn't give the TOC any more than the £30 they got for his ticket nor does it allow them to sell a Penzance advance?

Even the way its phrased 'expects travel' in a 'how DARE he' fashion just seems a bit odd.

Zoe

Established Member
That doesn't really answer my question. Him not getting travel doesn't give the TOC any more than the £30 they got for his ticket.
But he did travel but not from where his ticket was booked from. If he had booked his ticket from Exeter then they could have sold a fare from Cornwall to Exeter. Then if he decided not to travel they would have still have the revenue from his Exeter to London ticket plus the reveue from a Cornwall to Exeter ticket.

Goatboy

Established Member
But he did travel but not from where his ticket was booked from. If he had booked his ticket from Exeter then they could have sold a fare from Cornwall to Exeter. Then if he decided not to travel they would have still have the revenue from his Exeter to London ticket plus the reveue from a Cornwall to Exeter ticket.

What if he booked his ticket from Newton Abbot and didn't travel? Oh no, they can't sell a fare to Exeter in his seat now :o

New rules should be introduced to chase people down the street who don't travel and bill them for a flexible ticket! I don't really see the difference between not travelling at all from NA and travelling from Exeter instead. In both cases the TOC can't resell his seat?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you book an advance ticket but then decide not to travel, you are still taking away a seat that someone else could have had and the lack of a refund compensates for this. You still can't prove that someone actually would have booked the seat and that there would have been a loss in revenue had you been given a refund but I don't see anyone complaining about the lack of refunds with advance tickets.

So, if you book a Newton Abbott to Paddington Advance for £30 and this prevents someone buying a Penzance to Exeter Advance for £10 (illustrative prices only) the following options exist.

1) You travel fully and the railway gets £30.
2) You don't travel at all and the railway gets £30.
3) You miss the first bit of the journey but use the rest as contracted. The railway *might* have been able to sell the extra £10 ticket, but instead sells the original customer a £100 walk-on fare.

Now those are the rules, but are they fair? By accepting the original £30 ticket the railway is guaranteed that income and foregoes the possibility of the extra income. As goatboy says, if you change your plans to a different train (or even a different day) then there are consequences for the railway and/or other passengers. But at the end of the day, what has the railway lost by carrying you one stop less that it hasn't lost by not carrying you at all? If they don't come after you for compensation for not occupying the seat at all, why should they do so if you only don't occupy it for a little bit?

I've asked this question (or a variation) several times and I'm yet to see anyone give me a sensible answer. Perhaps this time I'll get one?

Goatboy

Established Member
So, if you book a Newton Abbott to Paddington Advance for £30 and this prevents someone buying a Penzance to Exeter Advance for £10 (illustrative prices only)

Ironically you'd probably find it more likely that the person denied the £10 advance would instead purchase a £19 CDS anyway (They are hardly going to not travel for the sake of £9) so the railway ends up profiting from the non availability of the Penzance advance :D

Zoe

Established Member
How about an admin fee to change the start/end stations like you can pay to change the train you travel on?

Goatboy

Established Member
How about an admin fee to change the start/end stations like you can pay to change the train you travel on?

But why? Whats the point? Introducing yet more procedure for what real benefit? It would probably be ridiculed even more than the current scenario - an admin fee for using less than you paid for is how it would be viewed.

Admin fee for not travelling too, of course, as the net effect is the same as starting short..

Zoe

Established Member
But why? Whats the point?
What's the point in charging an admin fee for changing your train?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ironically you'd probably find it more likely that the person denied the £10 advance would instead purchase a £19 CDS anyway (They are hardly going to not travel for the sake of £9) so the railway ends up profiting from the non availability of the Penzance advance
Off peak yes but I hear that at peak times people use advance fares for commuting in Cornwall.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
What's the point in charging an admin fee for changing your train?

Because changing the train is completely different. You are moving from a train priced in a certain way to reflect the expected demand onto another which may have a completely different demand profile. Moving trains *does* have an effect on the TOC in a way that getting on a station later doesn't.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Nobody is arguing that starting short is not agianst the rules. The point being made is that it shouldn't be.

The rules are fact. They are not in dispute. We've moved on from that and are discussing what the rules should say, ideally.....

Okay, so we get rid of starting short, great, but then someone travelling from Exeter to London might have to buy a Plymouth-London Advance and a London Exeter Advance to get the best deal going but still abide by the terms for coming back because you can't stop short. Well that's just stupid so get rid of that, but then surely just having a restriction that you can't break and resume is stupid if you can start and end at intermediate stations, well I suppose we best get rid of that too. And I guess if we are going that far why should we keep the time restriction rule, I mean it's not like another train isn't going the same way and the passenger would have paid to be carried on a train......

....Only because said ticket isn't 'a ticket designed to give the option of starting points'....

Exactly, but there are tickets that have that flexibility and prior to the departure time of the first booked train an Advance can be changed to one of those tickets for the difference in fare and a £10 admin fee.

....It's because the alternative ticket is fully flexible and gives full control over which train you catch, when you catch it, etc etc....

Exactly, you pay for flexibility, well done you're catching on.

....The majority of the travelling public don't even know you can start/stop short anyway....[/QUOTE}

Informative possibly, but utterly irrelevant in this topic.

....The travelling public reasonably consider flexibility when travelling by train to be a choice of times when they travel....

In my experience those who are unsure ask, those who know do one of two things, change the ticket or moan like f**k when they are caught out in an attempt to get the railway to back down, YMMV.

....When he purchased his ticket, he had every intention of boarding a Newton Abbot. Is it really fair and just that we have a set of rules which state that if his circumstances change later, but he still wants to catch that exact same train, he can't hop on at the next stop? This has none of the negative effects taking a different train entirely does....

He had an option, change the ticket before the travel, he didn't do it. Is it really fair that someone who knows they want flexibility of starting station and pays more while someone else buys the cheaper ticket and is not made to pay the difference when he wants that same flexibility?

Fairness is very subjective, the rules apply to everybody equally.

....It is a completely different situation to the train ticket example so I don't know why you persist with it. The reason you pay more for a mobile call to an 0800 number is because your network provider has to pay to terminate the call, whereas your landline provider does not.....

What has a landline got to do with calling an 0207 number from a mobile? You could atleast get the example right if you want to try to say it is not the same.

The point is that I can't make up rules that suit me and I doubt a phone company would change it's tariffs based on what I want. I know that calling an 0800 number costs more than a 0207 number so I make a choice, the same way as the passenger has a choice about how much flexibility they have, it doesn't mean the railway has to change the rules because of that person.

....So if a passenger simply wants to catch the same train but thinks there is perhaps a 5% chance they might pick it up at the next stop, they should instead purchase a significantly more expensive ticket offering a whole bunch of flexibility they neither want nor need but is priced in order to offer?

Flexible tickets are priced to give a tad more flexibility than just boarding the train you booked at the next stop!....

The passenger has a choice, they can have the flexibility or they can pay less for a more restricted ticket, the terms are not hidden nor are they particularly difficult to understand. If the passenger has a "5% chance" they might not go to that station they weigh up the options and make a choice they have to abide by that choice or risk losing out.

.....Two scenarios:

a) He boards at Newton Abbot. He pays £30. Railway gets £30.
b) He boards at Exeter St Davids. He pays £30. Railway gets £30.

Scenario b) in favour of Scenario a) does not leave the railway out of pocket. We'll ignore Scenario c), whereby an Advance from Exeter is £40, because this is a stupid scenario anyway and the fact it sometimes exists (Though not often) is another farce....

You missed an scenario....

d) He paid to travel only from Newton Abbot but actually boards at Exeter St Davids. He paid £30 for his restricted ticket. Railway should have received £100 for a flexible ticket (or £110 if he had changed his restricted ticket)

Scenario c is much more like the actual situation don't you think? So what has the railway lost out on? Oh that's right, they haven't lost out at all, I blame my maths teacher.......

....I suspect this chap knew which station he intended to go from, too. Perhaps he booked months in advance and could think of not a single reason why he wouldnt get on at his home station. Then on the day of his train for whatever reason found himself in Exeter. It's the sort of thing that happens but not frequently enough for anyone to buy a massively more expensive ticket just incase....

Yes it happens, that's life and sometimes we have to accept what happens in life. We also have to accept that cheap tickets have restrictions that are not always in our favour, that is life too, but I guess anything that is anti-passenger is unfair and screw the railway 'cause it's just an evil, uncaring business machine that could never lose out when they take less money than they should, and anyway, who cares if they do lose out? They are just an evil, uncaring business machine........

....Remember - he's not asking for full flexibility here. He's still on the same train he's tied to by virtue of his low priced ticket....

He has two choices, flexibility or low cost, he made a choice, he has to live with that choice and accept the compromise he made, same as everyone else.

....Oh get a grip.

People buy an Advance ticket knowing they must use that train. If you start short, you use that train.
People buy a flexibile walkon fare so they have flexibility to change to a different train at a different time should they need to, or when they dont know which train they wish to use in advance.

Starting short doesn't change this....

Starting short is not allowed by the conditions of the ticket, neither is breaking and resuming nor ending at an intermediate station. It is a specific condition of the ticket and if you can't abide by it don't buy the ticket.

....I appreciate it raises issues around &Connections tickets, but this is a slightly seperate issue anyway because unlike the example being discussed here you never actually board the train you booked originally....

An '&Connections' ticket is valid by the operator named and connecting services, the connecting service may or may not have a reservation on it for the passenger, but, in any case, the only connecting trains you can (officially) use are those shown on the ticket or those shown on a valid travel itinerary, so in most cases, reservation or not, people will travel on the 'booked' connecting service.

....My bottom line is that an Advance ticket should tie you to that particular train you book only. No other trains. If you get on later or even get off earlier then fair enough - but only on that train. You've booked that seat from A to D and you've paid for it. Which points between A and D you choose to occupy it should be your concern. This still denies the passenger of almost all flexibility in return for a cheaper fare, true to the spirit of the Advance. It still allows yield management on certain trains. Infact it still does everything an Advance does now, with the exception of generating ridiculous news stories and silly petty arguments every so often.

So in your head, I could, for example, pay £7.50 for a Rugby-London Euston Advance Single and travel on the same train from Milton Keynes to London Euston, whilst the chap sitting next to me pays £18.50 for the same journey, booked at the same time, because he requested a ticket for the journey he was actually making (because he is joe public and knows nothing of starting short), and you don't see a problem with this system?

And what exactly would you do for break of journey, that is, breaking and resuming at an intermediate station? If starting and stopping short is fine what of that, surely you couldn't keep that stupid rule? Does the passenger have to understand when they can and cannot break their journey? Do they have to put up with "stupid rules"? and what happens when the rule is broken? nothing? Are they asked to pay four times more to do so? That can't be fair, so how exactly would you promote these rules in a simple way that can be understood by a passenger (of any ability) in under five minutes? (I say five minutes on the assumption that it is not peak time and the rapidly expanding queue behind them, as they struggle to get their head around these simple rules, remains at one person)

Goatboy

Established Member
He had an option, change the ticket before the travel, he didn't do it. Is it really fair that someone who knows they want flexibility of starting station and pays more while someone else buys the cheaper ticket and is not made to pay the difference when he wants that same flexibility?

This is going round in circles and becoming increasingly more ridiculous.

You can probably count on one hand the number of people who, faced with an Advance Ticket at £20, thought 'You know what, my car might break down or I might find myself called away to a town near the station one stop further on. I'll buy the £100 ticket instead'. It would be cheaper to buy TWO Advance Singles, one from each station you'd maybe perhaps possibly use, than buy a fully flexible ticket for that reason!

Fully flex tickets offer far more flexibility than somebody in that scenario would ever need. They are happy to be tied to a specific train.

So in your head, I could, for example, pay £7.50 for a Rugby-London Euston Advance Single and travel on the same train from Milton Keynes to London Euston, whilst the chap sitting next to me pays £18.50 for the same journey, booked at the same time, because he requested a ticket for the journey he was actually making (because he is joe public and knows nothing of starting short), and you don't see a problem with this system?

Do you not think the fact that its often cheaper to travel further is the bigger problem than the myriad of rules we need to make sure people can't travel short distances for the same money as people travelling long distances?

It is ridiculous that you can travel from Rugby to London for £7.50 yet it costs twice as much to board the same train and travel from Milton Keynes. We should be deploring this sort of practice not arguing in favour of rules designed to protect it! I'd be far more annoyed about the guy opposite me who got on before me yet paid less!

For this particular example, jack up the price of the Rugby ticket. I had a £7.50 myself from Birmingham to London. Very grateful of it but it's a fundamentally stupid system that allows me to travel from Birmingham to London for CONSIDERABLY less money than somebody boarding my train at Milton Keynes also travelling to London!

And what exactly would you do for break of journey, that is, breaking and resuming at an intermediate station?

What? It's dead simple. Advance ticket is only valid on the train specified. This then prohibits BoJ because your ticket stops being valid once the train specified leaves your break point without you on it!

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Are you seriously suggesting that they just blindly follow input without noticing that they were leaving themselves open to ridicule?! Effectively you're saying that they act like lemmings and just do what they are told! Come off it, you can't seriously be suggesting that's the case.

ATOC do not decide policy of their own accord. Their purpose is to facilitate the will of the TOCs (I will emphasise this for the final time!).

ATOC are not permitted to "have" an opinion of their own. They hold steering groups, committees, and all the rest of it. Any time ATOC do something, or update The Manual, or any other change in policy, it has come as a request from their members.

ATOC cannot simply say to their members "Thanks for your input about Advance tickets, but it's all a load of pony, so we're going to bin all of your ideas and form our own policy which you'll all have to stick to."

Again, you totally misunderstand the point and purpose of ATOC. TOCs collectively dictate policy to ATOC, who are there as a trade association to ensure that the railway continues to act as a single entity with common standards after privatisation.

I'll repeat that I'm no fan of ATOC, certainly not in it's current form (and that's no slur on the nice people who work there). They do, however, come in for a lot of stick from people on this forum who fundamentally misunderstand the relationship between TOCs and ATOC.

Because we are often told "ATOC have issued guidance that..." or some such, people assume it's an autocratic body that sits there and dictates to TOCs (who are often painted as the innocent party!). Not so.

TOCs collectively decide policy -> ATOC disseminates policy in a standard format to other member TOCs -> TOCs brief staff -> staff put policy into place on the front line.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is ridiculous that you can travel from Rugby to London for £7.50 yet it costs twice as much to board the same train and travel from Milton Keynes. We should be deploring this sort of practice not arguing in favour of rules designed to protect it! I'd be far more annoyed about the guy opposite me who got on before me yet paid less!

You may think it's ridiculous, I may think it's ridiculous, but it hapepns for a reason. We may not agree with the reasons it is done (at least I don't), but we need to accept that distance is not the only factor in pricing rail (and air) tickets, and it is, usually not the overriding factor.

For this particular example, jack up the price of the Rugby ticket. I had a £7.50 myself from Birmingham to London. Very grateful of it but it's a fundamentally stupid system that allows me to travel from Birmingham to London for CONSIDERABLY less money than somebody boarding my train at Milton Keynes also travelling to London!

Jack up the price to more than the Milton Keynes fare, presumably? The TOC's will not be keen on that if it costs them revenue! And where will they make up any shortfall?

Pricing is a very complex science, it's often all about computer algorithms and predicting how busy a particular service is going to be. But the end result is all about maximising revenue as best they can.

By the way AlterEgo, that's a great post!

Status
Not open for further replies.