• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Was Woodhead electrification a white elephant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
It’s well known that the wires were supposed to continue round the Fallowfield loop to Central instead of ending at Reddish shed. This alone wouldn’t have changed much, but one does wonder what the LNER’s original vision was. Extension eastwards from both Wath and Sheffield to Doncaster? Thence to Scunthorpe, Immingham and Cleethorpes? Westwards along the CLC? Of course completion of the original bit was massively delayed owing to the war, and by the time it was opened the LNER had ceased to exist and 1500v DC was old hat.
I thought the plan was to extend the 1,500 v DC electrification from Sheffield Victoria to Marylebone via the GC main line....hence the construction of the 90mph EM2 (class 77) locos, which could never reach their full potential on the 60mph maximum Woodhead line. However, they certainly earned their keep and stretched their wheels in their last 16 years after sale to the Netherlands - hammering up and down between Den Haag CS and Venlo with 135km/h Inter-City trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
It’s well known that the wires were supposed to continue round the Fallowfield loop to Central instead of ending at Reddish shed. This alone wouldn’t have changed much, but one does wonder what the LNER’s original vision was. Extension eastwards from both Wath and Sheffield to Doncaster? Thence to Scunthorpe, Immingham and Cleethorpes? Westwards along the CLC?
The electrification did extend west, because the 1500v Altrincham line started in those times at the through platforms at Manchester London Road, and i believe there were wires right across from the Sheffield line. Nothing seems to have operated through though, possibly the substations on the Altrincham line did not have enough output for locomotives. The connection was taken out when the 25Kv was installed in 1960, thereafter for another 10 years or so Piccadilly station had 25Kv in the middle and 1500v either side.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I think the LNER would have been far more likely to have slowly electrified the ECML - so maybe extend the Woodhead system eastwards to Doncaster (and maybe Immingham for freight), then southwards, possibly to meet up with northwards electrification from Kings Cross.

But as the LNER wasn't a particularly well-off company, I think that would have been heavily reliant on the availability of low-cost government loans to finance it.

tbwbear

The electrification did extend west, because the 1500v Altrincham line started in those times at the through platforms at Manchester London Road, and i believe there were wires right across from the Sheffield line. Nothing seems to have operated through though, possibly the substations on the Altrincham line did not have enough output for locomotives. The connection was taken out when the 25Kv was installed in 1960, thereafter for another 10 years or so Piccadilly station had 25Kv in the middle and 1500v either side.
IIRC the two 1500v DC schemes were never linked. The MSW 1500v dc gantries were only for the old GCR platforms. The LNWR platforms were not wired until 1960. In 1960 the 1500v Altrincham line was cut back to Oxford Road - and the Piccadilly to Oxford Road section was rewired at 25kv. The rest of the line to Altrincham was done in 1971.

But as the LNER wasn't a particularly well-off company, I think that would have been heavily reliant on the availability of low-cost government loans to finance it.

When the EM2s were built it would have been probably more likely that BR would have been thinking about the Retford / Kings Cross route rather than Marylebone.

A0wen

On Moderation
I think the LNER would have been far more likely to have slowly electrified the ECML - so maybe extend the Woodhead system eastwards to Doncaster (and maybe Immingham for freight), then southwards, possibly to meet up with northwards electrification from Kings Cross.

The LNER in the 1930s was talking about electrification to Hitchin from Kings X using 1500v DC as the 'outer suburban' limit and inner suburban using 750v DC (presumably 3rd rail ?). Though what the latter was going to encompass I'm not sure, possibly things like the Northern Heights which got handed over to LT ?

If they'd got to Retford or Doncaster from the MS&L lines and Hitchin from Kings X, it would only have been a matter of time before the gap between Hitchin and Retford / Doncaster had been closed.

ac6000cw

Established Member
When the EM2s were built it would have been probably more likely that BR would have been thinking about the Retford / Kings Cross route rather than Marylebone.
I agree.

BR/BTC were looking at electrification of both the WCML and ECML, but eventually canned the ECML project as they couldn't afford/justify doing both (and the ECML carries less traffic).

Taunton

Established Member
It took a while for the ECML 25Kv electrification to be stopped (or postponed) by BR. In the early 1960s there was a prominent publicity painting done of I think Grantham station post-wiring, with a Clacton-type express emu prominent. Someone can probably find a link to it.

The LNER had other 1500v schemes, the Stockton & Darlington one had been inherited from the North Eastern with a number of freight locomotives, and the NER was all set to do York to Newcastle and actually built a 1500v prototype express loco which was never used and sat around from NER times right into BR days. It's here :

LNER Encyclopedia: The NER Electric 2-Co-2 Class EE1 Locomotive No. 13

Revaulx

I thought the plan was to extend the 1,500 v DC electrification from Sheffield Victoria to Marylebone via the GC main line....hence the construction of the 90mph EM2 (class 77) locos, which could never reach their full potential on the 60mph maximum Woodhead line. However, they certainly earned their keep and stretched their wheels in their last 16 years after sale to the Netherlands - hammering up and down between Den Haag CS and Venlo with 135km/h Inter-City trains.
The running down of the GC London extension as an "inter-city" route started pretty much immediately after the grouping. I very much doubt whether they ever regarded it as a priority electrification project!

Extension eastwards and westwards to the major industrial centres and ports served by the GC/CLC would have seemed a lot more logical.

IIRC the two 1500v DC schemes were never linked. The MSW 1500v dc gantries were only for the old GCR platforms. The LNWR platforms were not wired until 1960. In 1960 the 1500v Altrincham line was cut back to Oxford Road - and the Piccadilly to Oxford Road section was rewired at 25kv. The rest of the line to Altrincham was done in 1971.
Yeah I'm pretty certain the two systems were never linked, even before the bits between then got 25Kv'd.

The MSJ&A was of course joint LNER/LMS. If they could cooperate on that electrification, then they would have had no difficulty doing likewise for the CLC.

Spartacus

Established Member
Yeah I'm pretty certain the two systems were never linked, even before the bits between then got 25Kv'd.

The MSJ&A was of course joint LNER/LMS. If they could cooperate on that electrification, then they would have had no difficulty doing likewise for the CLC.

I'm sure I've seen a photo of the 'join', while there was a physical link there was something there which would have almost certainly brought down a pantograph; I think the consensus was that it was probably done line that so if an electric was routed over the associated points the pantograph would get brought down, or at worse the overheads would trip if it was an isolation point, rather than the pantograph springing up and bringing down the overheads over the station throat.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
We've got very far from the thread given that Woodhead was, by any reasonable definition, completed.

However, on the West of the Pennines you'd still have to go through one of Stockport, Piccadilly or Victoria to get to Hadfield, and on the East of the Pennines the only available route to Drax without a runround is Stocksbridge-Tinsley Jns-Aldwarke-Doncaster-ECML-Shaftholme Jn-Knottingley-Drax. So in Manchester you're still stuffing up one line or the other, and in Yorkshire you trade stuffing up the transpennine for increased pressure on Swinton-Doncaster and the ECML (granted beyond Arksey the ECML isn't the problem).
not necessarily. Trains could have run from Glazebrook on the CLC towards Stockport Tiviot Dale then headed to the woodhead that way thereby avoiding manchester completely. most if not all of the route has since been lifted especially after the tunnel at Stockport was damaged during the motorway construction.

ac6000cw

Established Member
not necessarily. Trains could have run from Glazebrook on the CLC towards Stockport Tiviot Dale then headed to the woodhead that way thereby avoiding manchester completely. most if not all of the route has since been lifted especially after the tunnel at Stockport was damaged during the motorway construction.
AFAIK, the South Yorkshire - Fiddlers Ferry coal traffic over Woodhead took a freight-only route from Godley Junction (after electric to diesel traction change), via Stockport Tiviot Dale, Northenden, Skelton Junction (nr. Timperley), direct to Latchford, Arpley Junction (nr. Warrington) and Fiddlers Ferry, not via Glazebrook and the CLC line, which runs parallel a bit further north.

The Skelton - Latchford part of that route (which is ex-LNWR) is shown in the 1984 Baker rail atlas but not in the 1988 edition - presumably closed because it wasn't needed for Fiddlers Ferry traffic by then.

6Gman

Established Member
The running down of the GC London extension as an "inter-city" route started pretty much immediately after the grouping. I very much doubt whether they ever regarded it as a priority electrification project!

Extension eastwards and westwards to the major industrial centres and ports served by the GC/CLC would have seemed a lot more logical.
I believe the original intention was to electrify to Liverpool.

D6130

Established Member
The Skelton - Latchford part of that route (which is ex-LNWR) is shown in the 1984 Baker rail atlas but not in the 1988 edition - presumably closed because it wasn't needed for Fiddlers Ferry traffic by then.
It was closed because of the condition of the viaduct across the Manchester Ship Canal at Latchford.

ac6000cw

Established Member
It was closed because of the condition of the viaduct across the Manchester Ship Canal at Latchford.
Did the remaining coal traffic get re-routed via Northwich and Acton Bridge then (to keep it away from Manchester)?

Yes, as I understand it, the GC London Extension was never a busy long-distance route - I once saw it described as a 'connoisseurs' route to London i.e. the services were not that frequent.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Skelton-Latchford closed 8 July 1985.
The miners' strike (1984-85) moved the remaining coal deliveries to foreign coal via Liverpool or Ellesmere Port. I worked in Daresbury Laboratory until April 2015 and saw the lunchtime coal train from Ellesmere Port to Fidlers Ferry go past my office window.
Any coal from Yorkshire between 20 July 1981 (when Woodhead closed) and July 1985 could have used the Hope Valley to New Mills South Junction, but I bet there wasn’t much.
I went over the line (Latchford-Skelton through Dunham Massey) once, on 25th. April 1981, behind 40 025 apparently (https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk)

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
It may be difficult for me to find them again, but I remember two relevant articles in magazines.

One was in an magazine (poss Railway Observer) published at the time of the original electrification stating that the intention was to electrify through to Mexborough, though I admit that my knowledge of the traffic flows involved is poor so I don't understand the significance of this.

The other was a Modern Railways one in ca 1963 stating that the freight traffic over ex MR Peak and Hope Valley routes was to be transferred to Woodhead, with the aim, I think, of also withdrawing the passenger services to allow total closure.

As an aside, reading old Modern Railways one comes across some very interesting route rationalisation proposals that were later abandoned.

6Gman

Established Member
Did the remaining coal traffic get re-routed via Northwich and Acton Bridge then (to keep it away from Manchester)?

Yes, as I understand it, the GC London Extension was never a busy long-distance route - I once saw it described as a 'connoisseurs' route to London i.e. the services were not that frequent.
Between Nottingham and Woodford Halse the GC was primarily a freight railway, moving huge quantities of coal. Passenger trains were sometimes viewed as a bit of a nuisance, eating capacity.

The closure of the Woodhead route has always struck me as the biggest railway blunder in my life. I often think long and hard about it.

I think we would have lost the Worsborough Branch and Wath Yard with the demise of the coal industry. But the Manchester and Sheffield fast main line, lost to passengers and freight! The sheer barminess of its loss is something I ponder nearly every day.

Of course, the equipment was becoming life expired, but conversion to 25 kv AC would have been easy. I am very grateful to a correspondent called "Greybeard33" in a thread (I think in this subforum) on Class 76 pantograph height, for his revelation on 2 February 2021 that the cost of conversion of Manchester - Glossop / Hadfield was vastly lower in Greater Manchester Council's estimate than BR's.

I think the basic reason for the loss of the route was simply the geography of Sheffield. Rationalisation or concentration of traffic in city centre stations was not much on the agenda in the earlier BR era (pre-1960). It certainly was in the later one. It made sense to concentrate Sheffield passenger services on Midland. But I think it would have been extremely difficult, destructive and expensive to have built a steeply graded route from the Wicker Arches directly down into Sheffield Midland.

If, following a hypothetical but never happened conversion to 25 kv AC, with the new knitting extended down into Sheffield Midland from Nunnery Junction, the hourly (or probably by now, more frequent) expresses had been EMUs rather than loco-hauled, say using modern fast EMUs such as 350s in 4 or 8 car formations, the time from Manchester (London Road / Piccadilly) to Sheffield Midland would have been faster via Woodhead, even with a reversal at Nunnery Junction and the driver having to walk beside rather than through the train if crowded, than via the Hope Valley. I think this would be so whether the Hope Valley journey were via Romiley or via Stockport Edgeley.

Although, of course, serving the latter via the new LNWR to Midland connection at Hazel Grove has brought many benefits for Stockport passengers.

Journeyman

Established Member
The closure of the Woodhead route has always struck me as the biggest railway blunder in my life. I often think long and hard about it.

I think we would have lost the Worsborough Branch and Wath Yard with the demise of the coal industry. But the Manchester and Sheffield fast main line, lost to passengers and freight! The sheer barminess of its loss is something I ponder nearly every day.
Really? I honestly think it was an obvious candidate for closure, and that it's never seriously been missed, in terms of practical need.

The passenger service has been gone for over 50 years, and the freight for nearly 40, and there's absolutely no clear and compelling need to reopen the line for either. Certainly there's not even remotely a decent business case for it.

The loss of the GC main line made passenger services cease to be viable, then changes in mining and power generation decimated freight traffic. There was simply no need for a cash-strapped BR to keep it.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The Woodhead route was never "fast" at 60mph, and only ever had an hourly regional service after the London trains stopped.
It was more direct than the Midland route via Edale, but not if you had to route via Manchester Central.

Electrification was deemed essential in the new tunnel, and yet it was not extended usefully either eastwards or westwards, so most trains had to change to/from electric en route, often twice for freight.
That might not have mattered much in 1954, but it certainly did by the 1970s.
Apart from some useful experience with electric locos which fed into the WCML project, the electrification was a dead end.
One of the Treasury's historic reasons for being sceptical about more electrification is the short life of the Woodhead project.

Revaulx

The Woodhead route was never "fast" at 60mph, and only ever had an hourly regional service after the London trains stopped.
It was more direct than the Midland route via Edale, but not if you had to route via Manchester Central.

Electrification was deemed essential in the new tunnel, and yet it was not extended usefully either eastwards or westwards, so most trains had to change to/from electric en route, often twice for freight.
Apart from some useful experience with electric locos which fed into the WCML project, the electrification was a dead end.
One of the Treasury's historic reasons for being sceptical about more electrification is the short life of the Woodhead project.
Indeed, but it’s interesting to wonder how its future would have panned out if it had been. I think that would have required the survival of the LNER though.

Journeyman

Established Member
Indeed, but it’s interesting to wonder how its future would have panned out if it had been. I think that would have required the survival of the LNER though.
Effectively, yes. The electrification was planned in the world that existed before the war, and by the time it was eventually finished, that world had disappeared.

Nationalisation reduced the need for duplicate main lines, and it was increasingly clear what a white elephant the GC London Extension was. Woodhead's fortunes were inextricably linked to it. The Hadfield suburban service was obviously viable, but there was no need for local traffic between there and Penistone, and the massive pace of industrial change after the seventies saw no need for a dedicated freight route either.

Throw in an obsolete, geographically isolated electrification system, and locos in need of replacement...well, closure was coming sooner or later.

Senex

Established Member

I don't think it was more significantly direct — Sheffield Victoria via Penistone was 41½ miles, whereas today's route via Stockport is 42½ miles (and via Belle Vue 42 miles). I think from a passenger traffic perspective Sheffield Victoria always was the "wrong" station, even if one could ever have dreamt of massive development of the Great Central routes south and east. And whilst it might just have been possible to build a west-to-south curve to get into Midland—which was always going to be the principal Sheffield station—in the couple of decades after the War, that has long since been an impossible option. It would be interesting to know if there were ever any studies of whether better speeds could have been achieved over Woodhead, though from memories of the curvature I'd have thought it unlikley much could have been done. Whereas teh greater part of the Midland line was over two sections of relatively modern and well laid out railway, suitable for quite good speeds (and adaptable to allow Stockport to be served if that became desirable (which it did, only to be achieved on the cheap, like other things in the Manchester area).)

tbwbear

The Woodhead route was never "fast" at 60mph,

Not wishing to be too pedantic, but weren't there some sections of 70mph in the EM2 days ? Not that that would have made much difference to the overall timings. I dont think they altered at all in the last few years when they only had EM1.

D6130

Established Member
Not wishing to be too pedantic, but weren't there some sections of 70mph in the EM2 days ? Not that that would have made much difference to the overall timings. I dont think they altered at all in the last few years when they only had EM1.
According to my 1969 Eastern Region (South) Sectional Appendix, the maximum speed at any point between Manchester Piccadilly and Sheffield Victoria was 60 mph. This may have been something to do with the fact that the line was resignalled 'on the cheap' in the early 1950s at the time of electrification, with colour light running signals on the main lines, but with individual signalboxes and absolute block working retained with semaphore signals in loops and sidings. The braking distances between distant, home and starter signals may have had a bearing on the maximum permitted speed....as was the case with the Glasgow North electric lines, which were electrified and resignalled a few years later - and also retained a 60 mph speed limited. Strange though that the EM1s (76s) had a top speed of 65!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
If the CLC route to Liverpool had been electrified at the same time as Woodhead (ie into Manchester Central and then west via Warrington Central), the line could have had a fast-ish inter-regional electric service.
Eastwards, Doncaster would have been the obvious extension point, if not further.
Something like TP South today.
But just offering a Sheffield-Manchester link was not going to save the line come duplicate review time.
But the BR view probably didn't favour the CLC, as it didn't fit with their WCML plans or route rationalisation.

A0wen

On Moderation

Of course, the equipment was becoming life expired, but conversion to 25 kv AC would have been easy. I am very grateful to a correspondent called "Greybeard33" in a thread (I think in this subforum) on Class 76 pantograph height, for his revelation on 2 February 2021 that the cost of conversion of Manchester - Glossop / Hadfield was vastly lower in Greater Manchester Council's estimate than BR's.

I think the basic reason for the loss of the route was simply the geography of Sheffield. Rationalisation or concentration of traffic in city centre stations was not much on the agenda in the earlier BR era (pre-1960). It certainly was in the later one. It made sense to concentrate Sheffield passenger services on Midland. But I think it would have been extremely difficult, destructive and expensive to have built a steeply graded route from the Wicker Arches directly down into Sheffield Midland.

If, following a hypothetical but never happened conversion to 25 kv AC, with the new knitting extended down into Sheffield Midland from Nunnery Junction, the hourly (or probably by now, more frequent) expresses had been EMUs rather than loco-hauled, say using modern fast EMUs such as 350s in 4 or 8 car formations, the time from Manchester (London Road / Piccadilly) to Sheffield Midland would have been faster via Woodhead, even with a reversal at Nunnery Junction and the driver having to walk beside rather than through the train if crowded, than via the Hope Valley. I think this would be so whether the Hope Valley journey were via Romiley or via Stockport Edgeley.

Although, of course, serving the latter via the new LNWR to Midland connection at Hazel Grove has brought many benefits for Stockport passengers.

The closure, by the time it happened, took place some years after the passenger service had gone and was when the freight demand driven by coal traffic was in decline. Add in the cost of updating the route as the OHL and locos were reaching life expiry and were non-standard and a case for retaining it really didn't exist.

The withdrawl of passenger services in the late 60s was the questionable one - but as I've pointed out before, this was BR management ignoring the Beeching report, which recommended keeping Matlock - Manchester and Woodhead and closing the Hope Valley - where BR did the exact opposite.

3 routes between Manchester and Sheffield / Derby was never going to be viable, two was and one was. Question is whether the BR decision was the right one.

Senex

Established Member
Strange though that the EM1s (76s) had a top speed of 65!
And the EM2s were 90! A facility they did eventually get the chance to exploit, but on NS rails not BR ones.

Journeyman

Established Member
And the EM2s were 90! A facility they did eventually get the chance to exploit, but on NS rails not BR ones.
Apparently they were demonstrated at full speed over Woodhead to some NS officials prior to the sale. Must've been interesting!

D6130

Established Member
Apparently they were demonstrated at full speed over Woodhead to some NS officials prior to the sale. Must've been interesting!
Interesting! They had been stored in the old steam shed at Bury for several years prior to the sale, so they must have needed a fair bit of dusting and greasing before those exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.