• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Washwood Heath yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmidland

Established Member
Going past Washwood Heath today, I noticed the old metal wagons (I don’t know what they’re actual for or called), which have been there for years, have finally been moved.

Strangely they have been placed (by a crane?) across the tracks and I presume they are awaiting road transport for scrap?

This means now you have a totally unobstructed view of the, now completely empty, yard from the train. Although the yard has remained disused for many years, I’ve noticed there have been vegetation clearances of all sidings not too long ago. Why is this?

Does anyone know the future holds for the yard?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Which side? Up towards Derby or Down towards Brum? If its the up side it is nothing to do with HS2, rumour of being used to dump off lease rolling stock.

Harbornite

Established Member
Those wagons/vans are KSAs, built by Transtech (Finland) in 1995 for the movement of car components between Rover's sites at Swindon and Longbridge.

And yeah, as the planner says, it's not for the HS2 depot, that will be built on the down side, where met cam was.

londonmidland

Established Member
From the above article;

“A carefully conceived design will reduce the visual impact of the facility and its location would enable materials to be transported to the site by rail, thereby reducing HGV traffic on local roads.”

It’s good to hear that they’re taking advantage of rail access, rather than completely getting rid of it.

Passed by on Friday 1st March and the wagons appeared to be in the process of being reduced to scrap metal. Cheaper than dragging to EMR presumably?

diffident

Passed by on Friday 1st March and the wagons appeared to be in the process of being reduced to scrap metal. Cheaper than dragging to EMR presumably?

Taroni's scrap metal merchants are basically next door - what a coup for them if they are doing it!! Would make sense too - no need to transport the scrap too far.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Those wagons/vans are KSAs, built by Transtech (Finland) in 1995 for the movement of car components between Rover's sites at Swindon and Longbridge.
[EDIT: Ignore this, my confidence was misplaced!]

I'm pretty confident that all the wagons stored in Washwood Heath yard for at least the last decade have been BYA 102 tonne steel coil carriers. They were built by Thrall at York in the late nineties.

Last edited:

class 9

I've always thought about why those wagons were turned 90 degrees over the tracks instead of just being scrapped. Yet two rakes of them remain on the tracks?? It's a bit odd!
The bogies have been removed.

class 9

Not all of them are been scrapped(at least for now) a rake of them were moved a couple of weeks ago to Neville Hill Up Sidings at Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.