Water gushing out of EC HST carriage

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Bungle73, 31 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

I was at Kings Cross today and the was an EC HST in the platform. I noticed out of both ends of one of the carriages there was a lot of water gushing onto the track. What's that all about?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Minilad

Minilad Established Member

Water tanks overfilled I would guess

4. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

aye, it'll be overfilled tanks - was the hose still attached?

5. Bungle73

Bungle73 On Moderation

Ah.

I didn't notice tbh. I guess that would be from the platform side? I was on the track side, on the opposite platform if you see what I mean.

6. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

The amount of water wasted is horrendous at King's Cross (and no doubt other stations where the tanks are refilled).

The staff hook up the water pipe and then walk off, and obviously come back a long time after they're filled!

7. 142094

142094 Established Member

Once saw an Advenza 47 taking on water at York when it was still running on the scrap flow. Driver obviously hadn't turned the tap off properly and a week later water was still running out of the hose.

Now, if you think that water wastage is bad, think about the electricity wastage and that puts things into perspective.

8. Hydro

Hydro Established Member

That's how you know the tanks are full, lovely overflowing water. Our inspection coach overflows from the roof, so you know it's full when you get wet.

9. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Why not fit them with pressure shut offs ( like petrol pumps have ) in order to cut the waste of water down?

10. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the railway is not required to have a metered water supply, so they probably couldn't care less about wastage.

11. The North Briton

The North Briton Member

Do they not have an enironment/sustainability manager to put the lid on (oops no pun intended) this kind of thing?. I know NXEC did, but not sure about the present outfit.

12. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Maybe s/he drowned?

13. route:oxford

route:oxford On Moderation

Don't some parts of the Railway have their own private supply of water?

Until fairly recently, there were some villages in Scotland who had their domestic water supplied by Railtrack/Network Rail.

14. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I wouldn't want to be supplied by a company that literally flushed it all down a drain!

15. brillopad

brillopad Member

I used to work in Long Rock yard many years ago and the same thing happened with the diesel.

16. shedman

shedman Member

Up at NL we have rotary timer switches on the tanking hoses to prevent massive amounts of water being wasted. Problem is if you were to have someone stood by the pipe ready to pull it off when the tank is full you'd either need a massive amount of staff or a train would take an eternaty to tank. MK iv vehicles work on the same 'tank full' principle but the water comes out of the roof on the top of the vestible ends.

17. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

More staff would be silly, but timers or a way to sense the tanks being full (perhaps something attached to the overflow?) would make sense.

But, I still bet that there's no financial impact on letting the water go to waste so there's little incentive to fix things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.