• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterford Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

For the first time in 15 years, I caught a train into Waterford Plunkett Railway Station on 23 September 2019 (15:10 ex Dublin Heuston) and I was shocked and saddened to see the rationalisation that has taken place;

The main platform is now fenced off.
Of the 3 tracks which once passed through, only one remains (the platform road).
Bay Platform 6 has track removed, and likewise is partially fenced off.

I remember when I use to get the "boat train" to Rosslare, Waterford was quite a busy station, usually the Heuston train would be in on the main platform, and the Rosslare train would come in on the middle road before crossing over a scissors crossing onto the platform road, depending on the time of year, beet wagons would be stabled on the rock road (3rd line from platform). Of course the traction is different now as well, but I actually like the journey on the 22xxx Intercity DMU's. Judging by comments on social media, I think any hope of boat trains returning to Rosslare have vanished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waterford station is due to be relocated to the east, with a new road bridge over the River Suir to improve access to the city and allow redevelopment of the North Quays area. It seems to be bogged down at the moment, however, with funding issues. The Rosslare line looks to be doomed, unfortunately, with recent proposals to convert it to a 'greenway' cycle track. Since the collapse of the traditional passenger boat train traffic it didn't really serve any useful purpose, with virtually no local traffic. The main passenger flow is Waterford - New Ross - Wexford, as taken by the 'Expressway' coaches.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
For the first time in 15 years, I caught a train into Waterford Plunkett Railway Station on 23 September 2019 (15:10 ex Dublin Heuston) and I was shocked and saddened to see the rationalisation that has taken place;

The main platform is now fenced off.
Of the 3 tracks which once passed through, only one remains (the platform road).
Bay Platform 6 has track removed, and likewise is partially fenced off.

I remember when I use to get the "boat train" to Rosslare, Waterford was quite a busy station, usually the Heuston train would be in on the main platform, and the Rosslare train would come in on the middle road before crossing over a scissors crossing onto the platform road, depending on the time of year, beet wagons would be stabled on the rock road (3rd line from platform). Of course the traction is different now as well, but I actually like the journey on the 22xxx Intercity DMU's. Judging by comments on social media, I think any hope of boat trains returning to Rosslare have vanished.

If I remember rightly they dropped from 6 to 4, 4 to 2 and finally down to just one platform in normal use.

I suppose with services being all railcars and there being only two routes there isn't the need to accommodate run-rounds nor several trains at once anymore.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Although I disagree with the assumption that it is less busy, at least when it comes to passenger trains. In the 1980s and 1990s. It had only for Dublin trains, one Limerick service and 2 to Rosslare running all year.
The Limerick Jct to Rosslare service gained one extra pair in the summer months.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Although I disagree with the assumption that it is less busy, at least when it comes to passenger trains. In the 1980s and 1990s. It had only for Dublin trains, one Limerick service and 2 to Rosslare running all year.
The Limerick Jct to Rosslare service gained one extra pair in the summer months.

Just looked at 1987 and yes, it is much quieter. Hadn't appreciated how infrequent even the Dublin service was.

It has still lost a route though.

MarkyT

Established Member
Waterford station is due to be relocated to the east, with a new road bridge over the River Suir to improve access to the city and allow redevelopment of the North Quays area. It seems to be bogged down at the moment, however, with funding issues. The Rosslare line looks to be doomed, unfortunately, with recent proposals to convert it to a 'greenway' cycle track. Since the collapse of the traditional passenger boat train traffic it didn't really serve any useful purpose, with virtually no local traffic. The main passenger flow is Waterford - New Ross - Wexford, as taken by the 'Expressway' coaches.
Post consultation report here: http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/medi...nsport-hub/190911 CE Report Transport Hub.pdf
CHIEF EXECUTIVE REPORT ON SUBMISSIONS RECEIVED ON PART VIII PLANNING APPLICATION FOR THE PROPOSED TRANSPORT HUB, FERRYBANK, WATERFORD SEPTEMEBER 2019
1.2 Summary of the Proposed Development
The nature and extent of the proposed works, as described in the public notice is as follows:
Construction of a new Transport Hub to include; a Rail station to replace the existing Plunkett Train Station along the existing Waterford City to Rosslare Iarnród Éireann railway (active only to Belview Port); re-configuration to the layout of the existing Bus Éireann depot site; construction of additional parking for Bus Éireann at an adjoining site (former Dunlop site); construction of drainage network upgrades along the Dock Road and in the vicinity of the Transport Hub and construction of flood defences along the southern boundary of the Iarnród Éireann railway.
The proposed development will be carried out in the townland of Ferrybank, Waterford.

Status
Not open for further replies.