• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo-Cosham via Fareham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Established Member
I know that this is a stupid question but today I noticed that there was a circa 1905 Waterloo-Cosham via Eastleigh and Fareham. Does it then run to Waterloo via Guildford or reverse?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheSlash

Established Member
Waterloo to Cosham is actually Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke, Eastleigh, Fareham and Cosham. They advertise it as Cosham so nobody thinks it's a direct train

Oracle

Established Member
Check..thanks! They do that with "Addlestone" via Hounslow and Staines, and via Kingston as well. They used to state at Soton Central that the Victoria trains were for "East Croydon" only!

TheSlash

Established Member
The Southampton - Vic {bring back the days of it going to Bournemouth!!} goes right out to Hove and upto Victoria that way, so another indirect service

Oracle

Established Member
Yes, good old BOURNEMOUTH-Vic. I used to catch it at Swanwick. Rumour has it that an electioneering MP candidate campaigned to get the new service to stop at Swanwick, which was marvellous, since very few DMUs did/do.

Does anyone know if the works at Havant have been completed? My interest is because in recent months NR appear to have been about to (probably now completed) new Cross-overs at the east end of the station. There was of course at one time two through routes, then one was removed leaving one on the southern side that I have only seen used by de-icing trains reversing back towards Chichester using the shunt signal. Trains can of course reverse in the eastbound platform.

Coxster

Established Member
The service via Eastleigh is an hourly service throughout most of the day. At Portsmouth I have seen it advertised as a Farnborough service so people for Woking and beyond travel via Guildford.

ChrisM

Have to agree with Bournemouth to Victoria.
I used it alot from Bournemouth to Southampton & Swanwick as it would leave Bournemouth with only a few passengers on it and it was a 'Slammer'.

TheSlash

Established Member
The through siding at Havant will be a great operational loss, i remember dumping a few duff units in there in just 2 years, so god knows how many times it has come to the rescue over the years.

Oracle

Established Member
Take anything to do with handy sidings/# overs away, e,g, North Ealing WB>EB Piccadilly, and you'll find that they were a big mistake as you no longer have reversing/dumping facilities for o/s stock and service problems.

I believe from what I can see that the Vauxhall Mains to Windsor #-overs are still plain track so there's another example...temporarily removed I believe I read, some time back.

RJ

Established Member
Same with the 08:16 London Bridge - London Bridge - advertised to terminate at Crystal Palace.
[EDIT]
Automotivehistorian said:
They used to state at Soton Central that the Victoria trains were for "East Croydon" only!

Its an awfully long way to London - I suffered a full all stations service from Victora - Bornemouth a few years back :(

Coxster

Established Member
Joe H said:
Its an awfully long way to London - I suffered a full all stations service from Victora - Bornemouth a few years back :(
No way was it all stations. It wouldn't have called at Thornton Heath etc, nor all West Coastway services. Also Connex never served all intermediate stations on the Cosham to Southampton stretch, nor did they serve all stops between Southampton and Bournemouth such as Sway and Pokesdown. Why didn't you go via SWT? The Connex service was never intended for end-to-end passengers.

Oracle

Established Member
Soton-Gatwick is handy. As is Soton-East Croydon. I took the boys from Victoria-Soton one day as it was nice to have a long train journey and see the south coast. The trains run fast between Hove to Haywards Heath, Gatwickthen via Quarry Line to East Croydon, Clapham J then Victoria. However there used to be SSuX morning commuter time trains that stopped at all stations from Fareham to Soton Central. When I lived at Netlewy Abbey, before electrification there was a wonderful Class 33 + Mk1 stock ex-Pompey train that stopped at about 07.30 and went all-stations ,at least Fareham-Soton. It was worth going to work an hour early for the privilege!

ChrisM

Coxster said:
No way was it all stations. It wouldn't have called at Thornton Heath etc, nor all West Coastway services. Also Connex never served all intermediate stations on the Cosham to Southampton stretch, nor did they serve all stops between Southampton and Bournemouth such as Sway and Pokesdown. Why didn't you go via SWT? The Connex service was never intended for end-to-end passengers.
Coxsters right, in no way do they/or have ever been all stations.
Bournemouth-Brockenhurst-Soton-Swanwick-Fareham-Cosham-Havant and so on.
Only a few are due (or were) to stop at Netley and Woolston (Between Fareham & Soton) in rush hours.

RJ

Established Member
Ok, all stations that Southern are booked to serve except the metro ones. Either way, it took around 4 hours!

Oracle

Established Member
I was interested to find out that the 0717 FGW service ex-Fareham still calss at all stations to Soton Central, at the same time as the beloved Class 33 + 6 Mk 1s, back in oooh, 1982! The 0823 Southern ex-Fareham also all-stops as it used to do as well.

My big beef was when I lived at Locks Heath, and therefore using Swanwick, we had the SWT trains and the Bournemouth-Victoria trains, but very few Wessex Trains DMUs...probably the same with FGW. Early morning, very late at night and that was it! I complained to Swindon and was basically told tough! I said, well often the trains are stuck at a red at the west end of Swanwick station so why not incorporate a stop? They argued that it would delay their existing clientele so that's why! In reality they probably did not want to dilute their revenue if they did indeed have to stop. It used to gall me that the diesels went straight through and could easily stop for two minutes at most, and yet to go to Bristol say we had to go on a preceding service to Soton Central or worst still backtrack to Fareham or drive to Fareham and park. Now we have a good service from Ashurst New Forest and we can stagger the 1/4 mile up the road and park for zilch if we are lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.