• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo Station Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
SWRailway tweets saying platforms 1-22 open tomorrow
Should that have really been “21-22 open tomorrow”, given 1-20 were already in normal use?

I mean we know railway PR people like to exaggerate a bit, but that seems excessive...

nlogax

Established Member
Views from the mezzanine this morning. Uploading these from phone so not sure how these will look
IMG_20181211_081130.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181211_081145.jpg
    IMG_20181211_081145.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20181211_081201.jpg
    IMG_20181211_081201.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 216

DelW

Established Member
Should that have really been “21-22 open tomorrow”, given 1-20 were already in normal use?

I mean we know railway PR people like to exaggerate a bit, but that seems excessive...
It works if you consider "open" as an adjective not a verb, i.e. "Platforms 1-22 [will be] open tomorrow", not "Platforms 1-22 [will] open tomorrow",

There was also some speculation above that 19 & 20 might be closed for work to be carried out.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...There was also some speculation above that 19 & 20 might be closed for work to be carried out.
I wondered about that because RTT still shows them in normal use. Maybe they’ll become closed most weekends at some stage?

paok

Apparently 23-24 to come into use when the May 2019 timetable comes in.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are they actually saying anything positive about May 2019 changes yet? Wouldn’t be a surprise if they became Dec 2019, as seems to have been suggested in a few other areas, eg the GWR area.

ijmad

Established Member
Had a look round earlier. The escalators down to the 'orchestra pit' still very much look like a work in progress, there's scaffolding filling the space below, so it seems like quite a bit more work to do down there. Couldn't tell you if it's weeks or months worth though.

Lots of continued activity by hardhats/hiviz people in the undercroft.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at the earlier pictures that concrete box to the right side of the new concourse (P23/24 side above orchestra pit) seems a very poor design feature. Many recent lift shafts seem to be much more lightweight, often using a lot of glass. Seems a bit of a throwback...

nlogax

Established Member
Looking at the earlier pictures that concrete box to the right side of the new concourse (P23/24 side above orchestra pit) seems a very poor design feature. Many recent lift shafts seem to be much more lightweight, often using a lot of glass. Seems a bit of a throwback...

If you want any more pictures let me know, I'll be passing back through Waterloo in a couple of hours.

Bigfoot

I believe it's original from the eurostar station...

TEW

Established Member
Are they actually saying anything positive about May 2019 changes yet? Wouldn’t be a surprise if they became Dec 2019, as seems to have been suggested in a few other areas, eg the GWR area.
It's hard to get any concrete information on the May 2019 timetable. The full changes originally planned for December 2018 certainly seem unlikely.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe it's original from the eurostar station...
The planning drawings show it is new build over where the end of the P22/23 tracks were filled in. The original lifts down to the Eurostar check-in were on the other side of the “pit” near the P19 gateline.

Searching online images and videos shows it wasn’t there in late summer 2017, it’s new since then.

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
There was also some speculation above that 19 & 20 might be closed for work to be carried out.

They are available for use in disruption currently not for regular traffic.

But if 19 and 20 need to be closed for an extended period between now and May 2019 for work to be carried out then perhaps everything can shift to the right to use Platforms 21 to 24 instead of 19 to 22 rather than cancelling services.

DennisM

What is the function of the orchestra pit level other than retail space?

I assume it’s the route between 20-24 and the underground during off peak times (when the escalators on the platforms aren’t in use) to avoid walking across the bridge and round to the main underground entrance. In which case it merely fixes a problem caused by it being the there in the first place! Is it reopening purely for the sake of prime retail space instead of simply having a flat(ish) concourse covering over the area?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What is the function of the orchestra pit level other than retail space?

I assume it’s the route between 20-24 and the underground during off peak times (when the escalators on the platforms aren’t in use) to avoid walking across the bridge and round to the main underground entrance. In which case it merely fixes a problem caused by it being the there in the first place! Is it reopening purely for the sake of prime retail space instead of simply having a flat(ish) concourse covering over the area?
It will also provide a street level entrance to the whole station and the underground from York Rd, once further development outside the station takes place.

Helvellyn

Established Member
It is a shame the original plan to drop the whole concourse opposite platforms 20-24 to ground level didn't go ahead. This would have included modifying the victory arch as well. Would have given much larger circulating space and a better entrance to the tube.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is a shame the original plan to drop the whole concourse opposite platforms 20-24 to ground level didn't go ahead. This would have included modifying the victory arch as well. Would have given much larger circulating space and a better entrance to the tube.
Looking at it today, isn’t the Bakerloo/Northern concourse an entire level lower than the orchestra pit level? There seems to be a relatively small set of stairs heading down towards the underground (roughly under the P19 gateline and to the right of the new stairs down from the main concourse), but it doesn’t look as if it will be able to cope with large numbers. I think it will come out where the hoarding is at the foot of the ‘tube’ escalators.

I have a couple of photos I’ll try and get from the phone to the internet later, see post #92.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Looking at it today, isn’t the Bakerloo/Northern concourse an entire level lower than the orchestra pit level? There seems to be a relatively small set of stairs heading down towards the underground (roughly under the P19 gateline and to the right of the new stairs down from the main concourse), but it doesn’t look as if it will be able to cope with large numbers. I think it will come out where the hoarding is at the foot of the ‘tube’ escalators.

I have a couple of photos I’ll try and get from the phone to the internet later...
The escalators direct to the Underground, according to the NR press release, will be in use from "early 2019" so I guess we'll find out soon.

P23 and 24 in use from May.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The escalators direct to the Underground, according to the NR press release, will be in use from "early 2019" so I guess we'll find out soon.

P23 and 24 in use from May.
Odd. According to the planning drawings there can’t really be escalators ‘directly’ to the underground as they only go from platform to orchestra pit level, then there’s another set to underground level, but they are further along the building. But how they then get to the underground gateline seems a bit round the houses as well...

Goldfish62

Established Member
Odd. According to the planning drawings there can’t really be escalators ‘directly’ to the underground as they only go from platform to orchestra pit level, then there’s another set to underground level, but they are further along the building. But how they then get to the underground gateline seems a bit round the houses as well...
I think they mean the escalators on the platforms which lead to the undercroft under the former international platforms. They are there because I used them during the blockade.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think they mean the escalators on the platforms which lead to the undercroft under the former international platforms. They are there because I used them during the blockade.
Yes that’s the ones I meant, but that level they reach down to is still another flight above underground level. I cannot see anything that could really be called ‘direct’ towards the Bakerloo/Northern concourse. During the blockade didn’t the route down the escalators end up connecting to the main station peak hours subway?

I expect we cannot link to the planning drawings, but the case reference number on Lambeth’s planning website is “16/02973/FUL”. I’d love to find a drawing of the existing areas that the new circulation links into...

moley

Yes that’s the ones I meant, but that level they reach down to is still another flight above underground level. I cannot see anything that could really be called ‘direct’ towards the Bakerloo/Northern concourse. During the blockade didn’t the route down the escalators end up connecting to the main station peak hours subway?

Most likely, as that's where the connection will be now according to the maps.
So, the underground ticket hall is actually on street level / ground floor of the international terminal. Local Geography and existing buildings meant that the orchestra pit is actually on level 1 with the main terminal platforms on level 2. The stairs at Victory arch only take you from level 1 to level 2 as the ground here is raised.

The underground ticket hall feels as if its in the basement because the road alongside the international terminal slopes to be above ground level at the orchestra pit end.

There are new stairs/esclators where the old escalators used to be going from orchestra pit to the underground ticket hall. These appear to be double the width of the old escalators - marked on some plans in blue. Once these are in use, I've heard strong indications that the old stairs next to the platform 18 buffers (with their crazy angles) are likely to be replaced by a lift to the main concourse.

As for the lift from the international concourse, this arrives at ground level above to the left of the Bakerloo line triple escalator (If looking from the road). It will then have a corridor to go over both sets of Bakerloo escalators. It will then meet the new lower shopping arcade. If walking from the lift (away from the Northern Line escalators), you will need to turn 90 degrees left, walk alongside the double Bakerloo escalator to your left (behind a wall) and then should be able to turn 90 degrees left into the ticket hall, next to where the peak hour passage way joins. The lift is marked in green on some plans, with the corridors in blue.

There appears to be escalators direct from the platforms to both levels of the shopping arcade. For the underground you would want the lower arcade whereas for the orchestra pit you will want the upper level.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That’s helpful moley - I think I’m having difficulty visualising/remembering what’s outside the “red lines”. Also, maybe minor changes within the LU station boundary don’t actually need planning permission.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I found this image of the original vision. Victory Arch would be behind the viewer and would have level access through to the lower level concourse in front. There would have been lifts/escalators up to the concourse for platforms 1-19 on the left.

Artists-Impression-London-Waterloo.jpg

https://www.railengineer.uk/2015/03/25/major-changes-due-at-waterloo/

ijmad

Established Member
From what I can tell from the planning application, to use the new escalators to get to the tube you will:
  • Descend from Platform Level (02) to Orchestra Pit level (01)
  • Walk forward through a wide set of ticket gates
  • Descend down a further pair of escalators from Orchestra Pit Level (01) to LU Level (00)
  • Walk down a corridor at this level under the platforms
  • Make a right turn in to the peak hours subway
  • Turn left twice (back on yourself) to access the tube ticket hall through its existing entrance from the Peak hours subway
Is that right?

I think the doors you can see at 1:20 in this Geoff Marshall video are the doors to the end of the peak hours subway.

I think what @moley posted about the lift route seems correct from how I read the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.