• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo Station - What New Shops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
YAY :) (I'll have to admit, i do like my Sushi and for me, used to be another reason why i tended to head via Padd than Waterloo). Although price wise, they can be rather mixed - you have to really know what you want / which priced bowls to work out, as the prices can rise if you don't look at the menu.

(The way Yo! Sushi works, is that you have a range of Sushi dishes* which will work their way around the conveyor belt. You simply turn up, choose which dish you like and eat. If you want to order a dish, then speak to a staff member and they will cook it up for you, most of the time at Yo Sushi, in front of you in the Sushi Kitchen. Then afterwards you simply pay for the dishes you’ve had. Now the way the pricing works is each dish will have a coloured ring around the outside of it. These are where the price ranges - green being the cheapest, going up to pink at mid range and blues for the most expensive.)

*And to those of you who turn away at the idea of Sushi because of the raw fish thing, that is actually Sashimi. Sushi can range from Japanese Omelette, to cooked noodle dishes, Yakisobas, to rice dishes, and puddings.

It's certainly worth a look:

http://www.yosushi.com/

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The logos of the new retailers are displayed on some of the hoardings around the works on the concourse. From memory it includes Thomas Pink, Corney & Barrow, a Sports Bar, Yo Sushi, Carluccios, Hotel Chocolat and quite a few more.

The Waterloo E gate line will be roughly where the old escalators were.

NY Yankee

Food in airports, railway service stations and motorway service stations is inevitably expensive. Oddly enough last time I stopped at motorway services there were no queues at any of the food outlets - except McDonalds which had a queue reaching as far as the service station entrance.

I hate McDonalds. There are so many burger places that are better. Five Guys and Checkers (I'm sure you never heard of them) are a lot better.

When people eat at railroad stations, they're not looking to dine at a five star restaurant. They're looking for something that is greasy, filling, and relatively inexpensive. A burger shop, fish and chips, pizza, or donuts will suffice.

Rational Plan

I hate McDonalds. There are so many burger places that are better. Five Guys and Checkers (I'm sure you never heard of them) are a lot better.

When people eat at railroad stations, they're not looking to dine at a five star restaurant. They're looking for something that is greasy, filling, and relatively inexpensive. A burger shop, fish and chips, pizza, or donuts will suffice.

A I would not want too many fast food places at a Station, as you have to live with the smell on the train.

Also long distance train travel is more expensive and has plenty of first class travelers who might want a nice meal before travelling. It does allow you to kill time if you have arrived early to make sure you did not miss your train.

The busiest stores in main terminals will be the Marks & Spencer Simply food, where you can buy a reasonable sandwich, salad or pasta bowl or but a ready meal for when you get home.

All the supermarkets want to be besides train and tube stations these days as they perform the same function as there express stores at Petrol Stations. Ideal spots to grab commuters on their way home, where they can get top up shopping without having to make a special journey.

LE Greys

Established Member

I'd back that, while adding the thing I want to see the most - a Brief Encounter-style refreshment room. It's possible that the fact that I could carry the food down to the end of the platforms to eat while spotting might influence the matter.

DarkestDreams

I would love to see a 'Poundland', to annoy outlets that think it is acceptable to charge vastly inflated prices for chocolate bars, sandwiches, books, batteries and soft drinks.

See, this is why I prefer the 'premium brand' aspect of stores. I don't mind paying a little more at Carluccio's or Hotel Chocolat, because you get a quality product. What annoys me is the ridiculous mark ups in places like WH Smith...

LE Greys

Established Member
See, this is why I prefer the 'premium brand' aspect of stores. I don't mind paying a little more at Carluccio's or Hotel Chocolat, because you get a quality product. What annoys me is the ridiculous mark ups in places like WH Smith...

That's shameless profiteering! :-x Although you could argue that having 'premium' shops in the area with their high prices encourages high mark-ups, whereas a price war could result if a bargin shop opened in the same area.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Out of interest, does anyone know why shops in stations charge such high prices? Is it because the shops believe they have a captive market and try to profiteer from it, or is it that Network Rail charge excessive rents, forcing prices up?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Out of interest, does anyone know why shops in stations charge such high prices? Is it because the shops believe they have a captive market and try to profiteer from it, or is it that Network Rail charge excessive rents, forcing prices up?

Network Rail put the leases out to the market, the market decides how much they pay. The retailers then choose their pricing strategy. Exactly the same applies at motorway service stations, airports, etc.

Chris125

Established Member
They charge high prices because people are prepared to pay them, usually because of the convenience of buying on the concourse - i dont think thats unfair.

The same goes for Network Rail rents - im sure they are relatively high in many locations, but thats because retailers will pay them as the locations are so desirable, and hence profitable.

Chris

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Well, some people are prepared to pay them (And I guess in the view of the shops, enough people to make the high prices worthwhile). Personally I tend to make some effort to avoid buying anything other than newspapers and magazines at stations (or on trains) because of the prices.

Thanks for the explanation anyway. That sounds like it makes some commercial sense if it means Network Rail has extra money from rents to use for maintaining railways (though I suspect it's not good for the railway's image, since to the average member of the public it looks like profiteering that's associated with the railways. Even granted that you get the same thing at airports and motorway services).

jopsuk

Veteran Member
even away from various concourses, you'll pay more in corner shops or mini-versions of big supermarkets than you will in full size superstores. That's just capitalism at work.

Rational Plan

BAA persued a different strategy in it's retail, trying to ensure that prices were no higher than the high street. In general I feel that has held up reasonably whenever I've used Heathrow. Of course there are no Poundlands or Lidls in the airport. But I do know whenever I've had a meal there it's been comparable to a similar quality place outside.

Though in truth there are no cheap places there. You only realise how reasonable it is when you're stuck in a different airport, paying 9 euros for a beer and 7 for a poor slice of pizza and salad.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't think they did. It depends on the shops. At least the M&S and Sainsbugs stores on railway stations which I infrequently use charge the same as their 'Simply Food' and 'Local' brands on ordinary streets.

Of course Burger Ching and Upper Class I find expensive wherever you go and therefore would much rather go with a cheap sandwich from a supermarket. Even Waitrose only charge £1 for a tuna sandwich, much less than supposed cheap brands like Greggs.

All Line Rover

Established Member
YAY :) (I'll have to admit, i do like my Sushi and for me, used to be another reason why i tended to head via Padd than Waterloo). Although price wise, they can be rather mixed - you have to really know what you want / which priced bowls to work out, as the prices can rise if you don't look at the menu.

(The way Yo! Sushi works, is that you have a range of Sushi dishes* which will work their way around the conveyor belt. You simply turn up, choose which dish you like and eat. If you want to order a dish, then speak to a staff member and they will cook it up for you, most of the time at Yo Sushi, in front of you in the Sushi Kitchen. Then afterwards you simply pay for the dishes you’ve had. Now the way the pricing works is each dish will have a coloured ring around the outside of it. These are where the price ranges - green being the cheapest, going up to pink at mid range and blues for the most expensive.)

*And to those of you who turn away at the idea of Sushi because of the raw fish thing, that is actually Sashimi. Sushi can range from Japanese Omelette, to cooked noodle dishes, Yakisobas, to rice dishes, and puddings.

It's certainly worth a look:

http://www.yosushi.com/

Ah - a fellow Yo Sushi fan. :)

I have to admit that the prices are extortionate unless you go for a special offer. (I never go unless there is a special offer). Not all of the offers are great, but the current "Super Sumo Sundays", "Yo Picnic Boxes" and "£2.12 plates" are all excellent value. The "Super Sumo Sundays" in particular, at £19.50 for unlimited food, green tea and water, is fantastic. (Especially if you have 30 or so plates like myself. The trick is to avoid the dishes with lots of rice. ;))

It seems that Network Rail are targeting high-end shops, like at St Pancras. The rent must be high, which can't be a bad thing for the railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.