• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo travelator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
The Waterloo Jubilee to Northern/Bakerloo travellator was out of action yesterday, as when I last used it a while ago. I am aware they had a serious accident on it some months ago, has it worked since then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, they have been off since the incident.

higthomas

Is it not working or just not turned on?
Is it going to make a return any time soon?

simple simon

I have no idea what caused this terrible tragedy, nor the exact events of that night. But I would not be surprised if the walkways remain out of service until after the official inquiry (RAIB?) and there is confidence that there will not be a repeat event.

As for not telling passengers, it might be better that a full explanation is not given. That way nothing will be said which will upset anyone.

Chris M

The RAIB's guidance on the regulations notes at Paragraph 30 (pages 9-10):
Certain other railways are specifically taken out of the RAIB’s scope by specific regulations within the 2005 Regulations. As a result, the scope of the RAIB’s investigation does not include:
[..]
worker accidents or incidents that are not associated with train movements and which are not relevant to the operation of the railway (Regulation 4(6));
Which would seem to exclude this incident from the RAIB's remit. It is also almost certain they would have published a news story about it by now had they been investigating. News reports from the time talk about investigations by the BTP and ORR, but not the RAIB (or HSE). Neither organisation has made a public statement on their website that I have been able to find, and there are news reports later than a couple of days after the incident so it seems very unlikely the investigation has concluded. It is quite possible that one or both organisations have asked that the travellators remain out of use until the investigation is complete (and at that point it seems likely to me that the apparently routine maintenance that was being undertaken will still need to be done).

Status
Not open for further replies.