• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waterloo - Weymouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There’s a Saturday morning diesel service from Waterloo to Weymouth via Yeovil.

looking at BRfares website, it appears tickets are either routed Via Westbury or Via Southampton. As the above service serves neither station, what would be the correct ticket for the full length of the journey? I’d assume the Southampton ticket would be valid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s a Saturday morning diesel service from Waterloo to Weymouth via Yeovil.

looking at BRfares website, it appears tickets are either routed Via Westbury or Via Southampton. As the above service serves neither station, what would be the correct ticket for the full length of the journey? I’d assume the Southampton ticket would be valid.
On previous form, neither SWT or SWR will have considered the possible need for specific tickets. NRES only shows Advance fares for that train.

Unless it’s been done recently they didn’t consider the ticketing implications of the various new flows possible around Yeovil Pen Mill either.

JB_B

Established Member
The routeing guide was changed on Wednesday to add map combination WX+EU for journeys from London Group to Weymouth Group and vv. So now a route:Any Permitted ticket would now be valid via Salisbury and Yeovil. Given tickets are actually routed via Westbury or via Southampton I'm not sure how helpful that change is.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’d have thought that tickets from further afield will be routed ‘Any Permitted’ with many having ‘London’ in yellow pages of the routeing guide which would open up travel via Salisbury and Yeovil.

kieron

Established Member
The routeing guide was changed on Wednesday to add map combination WX+EU for journeys from London Group to Weymouth Group and vv. So now a route:Any Permitted ticket would now be valid via Salisbury and Yeovil.
This is a through train (or, at least, is one when there isn't a bus for part of the route). This means an "any permitted" ticket between stations on its route is valid on that train, whatever route it takes.
I’d have thought that tickets from further afield will be routed ‘Any Permitted’ with many having ‘London’ in yellow pages of the routeing guide which would open up travel via Salisbury and Yeovil.
An "any permitted" ticket from somewhere like Stratford or Maiden Newton would work, but so would a "London not Underground" one from Clapham Junction. You just need to avoid tickets which tell you to go through a station you don't intend to go through.

pompeyfan

Established Member
This is a through train (or, at least, is one when there isn't a bus for part of the route). This means an "any permitted" ticket between stations on its route is valid on that train, whatever route it takes.

An "any permitted" ticket from somewhere like Stratford or Maiden Newton would work, but so would a "London not Underground" one from Clapham Junction. You just need to avoid tickets which tell you to go through a station you don't intend to go through.

but if you turned up at Waterloo, I believe your ticket options from the retail desk or TVM are either via Southampton or via Westbury, with the Westbury ticket being more expensive.

kieron

Established Member
My apologies; I've only used ticket machines which can sell tickets from that station to almost anywhere.

If you can't buy a ticket to Maiden Newton anywhere in the station, you're just going to have to manage with whatever they can sell, and exchange it for the ticket you actually wanted on the train or at your destination.

It's not good that there's a sensible route for a journey which isn't valid on any ticket, but London-Weymouth via Yeovil is far from unique in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.