• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Waters Woes & Voyager to Acton Mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
Today I planned to get up early and see the sleeper among other things. That didn't happen. So this is how things went:

As soon as I left home a Victoria-bound bus came (at 09:15). I took that and got to Victoria at 09:50. 67024 was just arriving with the VSOE. as I got there. They shut it down and started it up again (I missed any clag there may have been :(). Instead, I went on a goose chase trying to get a travelcard. After 30 minutes and £30 later, I managed to get one. I rushed out of the station to find a bridge and found the perfect location. It left a few minutes later (a blob of steam aka 34067).

I then checked my phone for any GEN and discovered that a pair of 73s were supposedly going to Chertsey. So I took the 10:47 to Clapham Junction then the semi-fast 11:02 to Weybridge from which I saw a 158+159+159. From there I purchased a return from Surbiton to Virginia Water (under the guard's advice). There was a rail replacement bus service due to engineering works. I got to Chertsey and there were no EDs. I then took the bus to Virginia Water, where Medite 66709 and 66702+66019 TnT were in attendance. I stayed for a while waiting for the supposed EDs which never showed up. So I followed the Chertsey Branch and photed 66712. I had to go through a school and a sports field. I then had to jump a fence as a shortcut out. I went back to the station. There was a bit of shunting going on and Great British GBRF 66705 "Golden Jubilee" was hauled into the station. During which time I checked my phone, to see that 31s were leaving Euston at 12:27!!! Had Rail-Gen gotten a move on with their flippin approval system, I would have seen this message at Victoria and seen them! Grr!

Anyways, I took a bus back to Weybridge, then took the 14:21 Desiro to Clapham, which arrived at 14:50 (was very slow). I took the 14:53 to East Croydon (saw white 319001), then the 15:08 Voyager. I was supposed to get off at Olympia, but I took a nap. I then woke up at Mitre Bridge!!! I explained this to the guard, who phoned Control. He then told the driver to let me off at Acton Mainline through the driver door. Thank goodness, otherwise I would have ended up at Reading!

59204 was at Acton Yard, while yet another GBRF 66, 66701, passed through light engine. I took the 16:13 Turbo to Paddington, then the District Line to Victoria, 30 mins after the VSOE arrived. I had to run again, to the same bridge, which I just about reached as 67024 hauled it out ECS to Stewarts Lane. I then took an Electorstar to East Croydon, then 18:00 455 back home to Forest Hill.

Morals of the story:

GBRF's 66s are knackered
Virgin are good with lazy passengers
Rail-Gen should be more alert with their approvals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
joea1 said:
Rail-Gen should be more alert with their approvals.

How is it RAIL GEN's fault anyway, if anyone you should be blaming the Yahoo server system, because there are so many messages they don't always get through at once!

RJ

Established Member
I'm not knocking the gen, I just think that the system has its ups and downs - instant messages invites spammers (like numptys sending hi5 invites) but messages having to be approved means somebody havng to guard it and sometimes gen is shown too late to act upon :(

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
message having to be approved

As far as I know messages to rail-gen arnt approved it just the time it takes Yahoo to display the message

voyagerdude220

Established Member
joea1 said:
then the 15:08 Voyager. I was supposed to get off at Olympia, but I took a nap. I then woke up at Mitre Bridge!!! I explained this to the guard, who phoned Control. He then told the driver to let me off at Acton Mainline through the driver door. Thank goodness, otherwise I would have ended up at Reading!

Morals of the story:
Virgin are good with lazy passengers

I'd love to do that on one of my monthly VT 1st Preston to Highbridge trips, south of Bristol Temple M..

Avoiding a sh*t 143 from Temple M, and arriving in style at Highbridge earlier than expected.

On a Reading to Preston VXC (221 131) service a few weeks ago, we were forced to stop at Hartford, just to pick up ONE elerly passenger.

I don't know If Hartford's staffed or not, and if it isn't, how this actually happened?

The doors never opened, so they must have boarded via the leading drivers cab.(coach F) It was also a very short stop.

I wonder if I phone my Uncle down in Swindon who works for NR control (or something like that) , he'll stop my 220/221 which I get from Bristol to Preston at Highbridge..

Somehow I very much doubt this ;)

RJ

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose. Just get the correct train ;)

Coxster

Established Member
How does that story tell you GB Railfreight's 66s are knackered? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.